Thread: Computer-internet jocks....question???

Computer-internet jocks....question???

I'm having a weird situation with the internet.

I'm running a Win 7 system with plenty of memory.

I'm running into an odd situation with two sites.

One is an online "check your balance" site for a Target gift card.
    Last year my daughter gave me a card. When I go to their site to check the balance, I plug in the numbers requested and ...... nothing happens.
    I get a "A system error has occurred, please try again".
    I've tried to use that site for over 6 months with the same result.

Second problem is with my state income tax e-filing site.
    There's an online filing system where I can file electronically.
    I enter all the information and all the forms work perfectly. When I get to the last step I get an error message that "The system is not working, please try again later".
    I contacted the help system and was told to do exactly what I've been doing...... same result.
    They more or less blew me off.

Any ideas why a web site will malfunction like this.
    I'm assuming it has something to do with my computer or cable internet service.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have had many problems over the years trying to check a gift card balance. Seems like the card companies are trying to hide something.

As for E-file, I thought the IRS wasn't accepting E-filing until mid February.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I have had many problems over the years trying to check a gift card balance. Seems like the card companies are trying to hide something.

As for E-file, I thought the IRS wasn't accepting E-filing until mid February.
    He said State. Sounds to me like problems with the two sites.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Sounds to me like problems with the two sites.
    I would say the same, though I do have one other idea, based on an issue I had recently.

I'm using a current version of the Opera interwebz browser and it has a built in ability to use a vpn to encrypt and hide your browsing from outside sources. It has the option to connect via what it finds as the most optimal setting, or you can set it for one of three regions (Americas, EU, Asia). Some sites don't necessarily like a connection coming in from some regions of the world and I get a 404 not found error, however, some sites will be fine with it until you reach a certain point in the transaction, then error out.

Not sure if you're using a vpn or not, but it could be that...another suggestion, if using an ad blocker, try turning it off just while going through those sites processes, then turn it back on.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    I'm having a weird situation with the internet.

I'm running a Win 7 system with plenty of memory.

I'm running into an odd situation with two sites.

One is an online "check your balance" site for a Target gift card.
    Last year my daughter gave me a card. When I go to their site to check the balance, I plug in the numbers requested and ...... nothing happens.
    I get a "A system error has occurred, please try again".
    I've tried to use that site for over 6 months with the same result.

Second problem is with my state income tax e-filing site.
    There's an online filing system where I can file electronically.
    I enter all the information and all the forms work perfectly. When I get to the last step I get an error message that "The system is not working, please try again later".
    I contacted the help system and was told to do exactly what I've been doing...... same result.
    They more or less blew me off.

Any ideas why a web site will malfunction like this.
    I'm assuming it has something to do with my computer or cable internet service.
    Try clearing your browser cache and delete all cookies from the problem sites. You may have logged into them in the past and the login cookie stored. Later, the cookie maybe expired and is preventing a re-login. Note: if this doesn't work, PHONE CALL them and have them see what's wrong. NEVER give any personal login info online to an email claiming that "your account is locked and click here to fix it" or something similar. Be sure you KNOW who are dealing with before giving out any info.

Good luck!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

If you have ad blocking running, disable it for those sites. Also try another browser.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Well clearing the cookies and killing the security didn't help, so I'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

Thanks for the help.