Thread: Anybody own body armor or a plate carrier?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Anybody own body armor or a plate carrier?

I finally shit then got off the pot and bought a couple plate carriers for me and the Mrs. just in case Biden or his handlers I should say collapse the US(doing a good job of that so far) or starts door to door crap. Seems like a really good value here. I'm a big guy in the middle so the cummerbund part is pretty tight might need a velcro extension, other wise it fits okay and the weight is a lot less than I imagined hauling around. Level 4 plates. Very good value IMO. Check it out. https://rmadefense.com/product/level...l-1155-plates/
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 01-28-2021 at 12:50 AM.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Very good choice, level 4 is the way to go!
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

IIRC, "IL-ANNOY" bars private citizens from owning body armor.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    IIRC, "IL-ANNOY" bars private citizens from owning body armor.
    Are you sure? Their faq only indicates CT as being illegal. Can I own body armor Absolutely. We sell to all law-abiding U.S. citizens, Law Enforcement Officers, First Responders, member of the Military, etc. There is only one exception. Because of state laws, Connecticut does not allow online sales of body armor. It is illegal to own armor in Connecticut as a civilian, but active LEO or Military may own it. Please email customerservice@rmadefense.com if you live in Connecticut and this pertains to you.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I've had it for years, 2 IIIA vests and a plate carrier with level III AR-500, really want to upgrade my rifle plates to much lighter UHMWPE.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I finally shit then got off the pot and bought a couple plate carriers for me and the Mrs. just in case Biden or his handlers I should say collapse the US(doing a good job of that so far) or starts door to door crap. Seems like a really good value here. I'm a big guy in the middle so the cummerbund part is pretty tight might need a velcro extension, other wise it fits okay and the weight is a lot less than I imagined hauling around. Level 4 plates. Very good value IMO. Check it out. https://rmadefense.com/product/level...l-1155-plates/
    What good is a SAPI plate? If I know the bad guy has armor, I'll go for the head. And, even if the plate DOES stop a round, it will be like getting smashed in the chest with a baseball bat. True, a few broken ribs is better than dead, but a headshot makes the point moot.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    What good is a SAPI plate? If I know the bad guy has armor, I'll go for the head. And, even if the plate DOES stop a round, it will be like getting smashed in the chest with a baseball bat. True, a few broken ribs is better than dead, but a headshot makes the point moot.
    If they're good enough that the military uses them, their must be some validation to their use in a gun fight. Before you say but they have kevlar helmets......I'll just say they're not illegal either. Besides I'm not the bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    So first off...at any real distance a head shot is a significant achievement...which is why the general rule is the double tap and then one to the noggin, and also, how do you know they've got armor...think they're gonna announce it?

Looks like nice armor 1 Pat...wish I could afford it right now...and...what the hell, get the Kevlar helmet. To quote the female sloth in 'Ice Age'..."Worth a shot!"
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    So first off...at any real distance a head shot is a significant achievement...which is why the general rule is the double tap and then one to the noggin, and also, how do you know they've got armor...think they're gonna announce it?

Looks like nice armor 1 Pat...wish I could afford it right now...and...what the hell, get the Kevlar helmet. To quote the female sloth in 'Ice Age'..."Worth a shot!"
    Already have two my friend Gotta fit out the wife too if the SHTF.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    If they're good enough that the military uses them, their must be some validation to their use in a gun fight. Before you say but they have kevlar helmets......I'll just say they're not illegal either. Besides I'm not the bad guy.
    Never said you were.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

On another note, Aren't most flak vests rated to stop small calibers handgun rounds? I thought that even the lowly PASGT could stop .22LR, 38 Special, .357 and 9mm, perhaps even 44 magnum. They just were not rated for rifle rounds.

That's what the plates are for. They cover vital areas so if you get hit with a rifle bullet that penetrates the vest, the vital areas are protected by the plates. Still doesn't mean you won't die from a wound to a non-vital area, but gives you a much better chance of survival than being hit in a protected area. Likewise, kevlar helmets will deflect a glancing rifle round, but a straight on shot at a 90 (or close to it) degree angle to any side of the helmet and you can kiss your ass goodbye...
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    On another note, Aren't most flak vests rated to stop small calibers handgun rounds? I thought that even the lowly PASGT could stop .22LR, 38 Special, .357 and 9mm, perhaps even 44 magnum. They just were not rated for rifle rounds.
    https://rmadefense.com/wp-content/up...es-1155-SP.pdf Oswald pretty much summed it up. Just gives you a better chance of living if hit in the vital chest and back area. Level 4 has a ceramic face that breaks up the bullet even some AP rifle rounds. I watched a youtube of someone shooting multiple caliber rifle rounds into the plates, It's pretty impressive. Also like Oswald said a glancing hit by a rifle round will deflect off a Kevlar helmet. There's a video of a soldier taking a hit from most likely an AK round or even a 7.62x54R in the helmet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0yY4DCShog