Thread: Got My License

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Got My License

Just received my C&R license! Now to find a good C&R to purchase! Do any of you that have this license have any recommendations on how to maintain the records necessary for buying and selling? Are there record books I need or can I just use an excel document?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Sir I wish I could tell you but I don't even know what that is. Any chance you can explain? I know what a C&R is so I am guessing it deals with being able to purchase and sell those.

Yes. A C&R license allows me to purchase certain firearms, generally those manufactured over 50 years ago or some newer that are designated as collectables without having to go through an FFL. I can purchase from an FFL in any state, or any other C&R license holder, and have the firearm sent to my house. It does not allow me to transfer firearms to someone else who is not an FFL or C&R holder, though. Considering almost all of my purchases are older type firearms it will make this much easier and more convenient. The license costs $30 for 5 years instead of $50 for each transfer. I figure that is a good deal.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Yes. A C&R license allows me to purchase certain firearms, generally those manufactured over 50 years ago or some newer that are designated as collectables without having to go through an FFL. I can purchase from an FFL in any state, or any other C&R license holder, and have the firearm sent to my house. It does not allow me to transfer firearms to someone else who is not an FFL or C&R holder, though. Considering almost all of my purchases are older type firearms it will make this much easier and more convenient. The license costs $30 for 5 years instead of $50 for each transfer. I figure that is a good deal.
    I just use a 3 ring binder as my bound book. Print pages. First page has 23 lines for info Header has description of Firearm and Reciept. Then second header has MAnufacturer/importer then Model then Serial Then Type Then caliber or gauge Then date Then name and address or name and license #

Next page Has Disposition Header Second Header Date then Name and address or name and License# next Date if Nonlicense Drivers License no or other identification if non licensee then For tranfers to aliens documentation used to establish residency. Both oages get the same number at the bottom. So yeah you could use excel or something like it, many sites have pre made forms for you to Download. You can buy from someone without a C+R also. Unless somethings changed when you give up the license you don't have to turn the book into the ATF. Have fun, I've had one much longer than a carry permit probably 20 years or more makes it easier to buy older guns for sure. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Woogiebear View Post
    Sir I wish I could tell you but I don't even know what that is. Any chance you can explain? I know what a C&R is so I am guessing it deals with being able to purchase and sell those.
    The license isn't about dealing in firearms, mostly acquiring them. Sure you can sell some in the interest of buying ones you'd rather have.But when renewal time comes and you have to answer how many you bought and how many you sold......If you bought a 100 and sold 100 the red flag is going to go up. You can in fact sell to anyone not prohibited in your state as well as C+R holders interstate. A Type 03 license issued under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44: a. Is NOT a license to carry,use,or possess a firearm.b. Confers NO right or privilege to conduct an activity contrary to State or other law.c. Will entitle you to acquire firearms,classified as curios or relics,in interstate or foreign commerce. You may dispose of curios and relics to any person,not otherwise prohibited by the GunControl Act of 1968,residing within your State,and to any other Federa lfirearms licensee in any State.It must be emphasized that the collector’s license being applied for pertains exclusively to firearms classified as curios and relics,and its purpose is to facilitate a personal collection. You may NOT engage in the business of buying and selling any type of firearm with a type03 license.Applicants intending to engage in the firearms business should apply for a license other than a Type03,Collector of Curios and Relics, license https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/fo...31016/download
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 02-15-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Just received my C&R license! Now to find a good C&R to purchase! Do any of you that have this license have any recommendations on how to maintain the records necessary for buying and selling? Are there record books I need or can I just use an excel document?
    You can actually buy more professional looking books https://www.amazon.com/Curio-Relic-B.../dp/B01CAT38KC I just use a three ring binder with excel type blacks for info. I just ordered this one myself. to replace my old 3 ring binder.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 02-15-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Thank you for all the great info. I am gonna have to look into this when I get back home. I have always loved the old milsurp stuff and if I can save a few bucks following my hobby then so much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    You can actually buy more professional looking books https://www.amazon.com/Curio-Relic-B.../dp/B01CAT38KC I just use a three ring binder with excel type blacks for info. I just ordered this one myself. to replace my old 3 ring binder.
    Thanks! That looks pretty cool!

NRA Endowment Member

You bet, I've used it a bit over the years. Nice to have them come straight to your house! It's worth the $30?$35? for 3 years.

Anytime my friend, good stuff! Congrats again.