Thread: National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC)

I wanted to pass along a conversation I had with a very liberal friend on FB (I know, just leave, not going to happen so no reason to discuss!). I am providing this so people can see that the NPVIC is not constitutional, for multiple reasons, and those supporting it are trying to destroy our representative republic. While I am sure you all realize this, this provides the constitutional reasoning as to why.

My opening:
    It is funny to me all the articles written in the wake of the election accusing Republicans of trying to "destroy democracy." What is truly funny is that when Democrats have actually tried to circumvent the democratic process by fabricating evidence to impeach Trump the first time and remove him from office this is ignored. And then trying a second time with no evidence to ensure he cannot run again though almost half of the country voted for him and many millions more than last time voted for him. Why does the press not see this as attempts to destroy democracy. It is almost as if they believe that only Republicans can destroy it. Well, at least they are not biased.
    A friend replied that the NPVIC was another example of how Democrats are attempting to destroy democracy. My liberal friend (who by the way is a retired naval officer I served with) states:
    Of note this is not unconstitutional because as the Constitution states
    "Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress; but no Senator or Representative, or person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States shall be appointed an Elector."

If a legislature decides to award electors based on the national popular vote it is their right to do so. Just because you may not like the results doesn’t make the decision of a state legislature unconstitutional.
    Here is my last response:
    I have to ask, have you actually read the Constitution, or do you just post stuff you find that sounds good without applying any critical thought?

It is actually a violation of Article 1, section 10, clause 3 which states “No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.” As the states trying to do this do not have the consent of Congress, they are violating the Constitution.

Now to your point, which is quoted from Article II, section 1, clause 2. The words specifically state that “Each state shall appoint in such manner as the Legislature thereof may direct”. It does not say that “Each state my delegate to another state the appointment of electors.” Each state decides for itself who it is voting for and how those votes are to be distributed. To allow another state, or states, to make this decision for them is to undermine the very heart of the Constitution, which is the formation of a representative republic. To do what you are proposing would require a constitutional amendment.

You know what makes me sad about this answer? Knowing that I have provided it to you before and you still bring up the same misquoted and proven wrong argument. And I expect that you will answer as you did last time I showed your position on this to be unconstitutional. With silence.
    If you are wondering how our interchange ended. It was as I predicted, silence from him.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

It sucks being wrong. Usually they resort to name calling at that point(nazi and white supremacist win the day now) but silence is golden.

All too late anyway. The republic is already dead.

We're now under one party, commie rule, the capital is protected by walls and troops because they fear revolt, and while they may let a RINO win an election or two (just for show) there will never be a conservative majority in any branch of the national gov't. again.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    It sucks being wrong. Usually they resort to name calling at that point(nazi and white supremacist win the day now) but silence is golden.
    The person I was talking with has done that. He goes with racist and saying I am unpatriotic. He also warned me that when Biden won he was going to turn me it. I asked for what. He never responded.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    The person I was talking with has done that. He goes with racist and saying I am unpatriotic. He also warned me that when Biden won he was going to turn me it. I asked for what. He never responded.
    He's going to rat on you because you're a conservative, and, to the Commucrats, that means you're a terrorist to their political point of views.

It sounds like he had some inside info when he stated, "when Biden won." I'm guessing only conservatives didn't know, beforehand, that the Commucrats were going to steal this election.

p.s.- This guy doesn't sound like much of a friend....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Incredible. How many years in do you have now serving your country.... Then calls you unpatriotic. The world is upside down.

Incredible. How many years in do you have now serving your country.... Then calls you unpatriotic. The world is upside down.
    Not really surprising. All Commucrats are irrational and insane. After all, they base using a restroom on feelings rather than plumbing. Kind of hard reasoning with people with that kind of mental deficiency.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

And remember, this guy is a retired naval officer as well. He served 20 years and retired as a Commander. It is amazing his disregard for the Constitution.

NRA Endowment Member

I will report that this guy responded, which is quite unusual. In his response, though, he still showed a lack of critical thought, and a shallowness of understanding that is should be a condemnation of the public school system of which he is a product.

NRA Endowment Member

Being called a nazi is old hat (I should know). "White supremacist" is the new one.

And, if saying that White Europeans built America and that all of our wealth, technology, accomplishments, art, music, culture and freedoms are due to their efforts makes me a "supremacist", then I proudly accept the label.

Oh, I forgot... I think some black guy invented peanut butter. Gotta give credit where it's due.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Being called a nazi is old hat (I should know). "White supremacist" is the new one.

And, if saying that White Europeans built America and that all of our wealth, technology, accomplishments, art, music, culture and freedoms are due to their efforts makes me a "supremacist", then I proudly accept the label.

Oh, I forgot... I think some black guy invented peanut butter. Gotta give credit where it's due.
    Don't forget the black guy who designed DC and the black guys who invented RAP, and those clothes designers who developed wearing overly large pants with no belt. Those are accomplishments to be proud of.
    Last edited by alismith; 02-25-2021 at 07:10 PM.

Freedom isn't free.

John Harvey Kellogg filed a patent for peanut butter in 1895
    Meanwhile, the product that Carver supposedly invented had already made its way onto dining room tables by the mid-1890s. As detailed in Jon Krampner's Creamy & Crunchy: An Informal History of Peanut Butter, the All-American Food, credit for its existence can either go to physician John Harvey Kellogg, who filed its first patent, or snack food entrepreneur George A. Bayle, whose creation bears a stronger resemblance to today's ubiquitous spread.
    George Washington Carver created more than 300 products from the peanut plant but is often remembered for the one he didn't invent: peanut butter. The agricultural scientist is often given credit for "discovering" something that was already there. Still, his story fits nicely alongside the rise of peanut butter as a culinary favorite in the first decades of the 20th century, making him an appropriate symbol for this distinctly American specialty.
    https://www.biography.com/news/georg...-peanut-butter
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

There are approximately 139 million registered voters in the United States.

Combining the Trump and Biden votes takes us to 155 million votes, so 16 million more votes than registered voters.

Subtract those 16 million votes from Biden (what, you think the Demoncrats cheated for Trump? If anything the evidence points to switching votes from Trump to Biteme) and Biden now only has 65 million, 9 million less than Trump's total.

Use whatever libtard math you want, but this spells F-R-A-U-D!!!!
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 03-11-2021 at 12:32 PM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!