Thread: How many of you live in HUMID states? How do you keep your 'paper weights' from rusting?

How many of you live in HUMID states? How do you keep your 'paper weights' from rusting?

Or anything metal.

Do you slather oil and grease on items? or do you put them in dehumidified special safes or vaults? Or do you just NOT CARE and it's not as bad as I fear?

I'm thinking specifically of Texas, Georgia, or Florida. Believe it or not, Hawaii isn't as humid as most people think. The ocean breeze blows all the time, and it is high but not that high. Even though, if you live by the water, it's the salt sea air that destroys metal things. Friends I know in Hawaii keep their stuff in cloth socks in safes with electric dehumidifiers. My buddies in Arizona and Nevada don't worry that much at all.

Any of you guys wage a constant battle against humidity?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I'm surrounded by water (ocean is about 25 miles east, bay is about 15 miles south and another bay is about 35 miles west) plus a tidal river 4 miles away and my housing development is surrounded on 3 sides by a creek and swamp. Fairly humid here, especially in the summer.

I have a rechargeable humidifier in my safe but, I found out that if you keep the guns in an area with stable temps. you really don't have to worry about rusting. I wipe mine down with an oil cloth about twice a year. No problems....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Eezox.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Eezox.
    never used this before! SOUNDS great! how do you like it?

Look to the rock gods for the solution to your troubles.

I love it! Everything they say it is.

What sold me was an experiment they did. They mounted a bunch of galvanized nails, each one covered in a different gun oil / protectant. They were placed in the sun and spritzed with salt water at least once each day. At the end of the test (don't recall if it was a month or more) they compared them. The Eezox one was the only nail with no rust on it.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

Where do they sell Eexox? I've never heard of it.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Here ya go bud...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eezox-Premi...YAAOSw~W1gCfiM

I originally bought a 4 oz bottle like this (back in the mid 2000s)...since then I've put aside two quart cans like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Synthetic-E...MAAOSw97peKJMS

To make sure I'll never run out.

So here's the deal, every gun I've cleaned and put away in the safe, I've used Eezox. Some of them have not been used in 15 years, but each and every time I take them out and check them, there is no sign of anything even resembling rust...they look as beautiful as the day they were put up.

I actually still have a dribble or three in the original 4 oz bottle...haven't even busted into one of the quart cans yet...a little bit goes a long way.

It was once available in gallon cans as well...not sure if it still is.

Interesting story (STORIES OF THE OLD WORLD!!!)

Not long after I started using Eezox (that first 4 oz bottle I bought) I decided I liked it so much that I wanted to have it on hand for the foreseeable future so I started searching the net for a larger can. Again, this was the mid 2000's and Ecommerce was in its infancy, so many sites, listings, etc. still expected you to send them a check, money order, etc. to complete a sale. Contacted a guy who was selling quarts and gallons of the stuff...had to call him because that was how he listed contact on his rudimentary webpage. Went with the quart can (hindsight, should have bought a gallon can) at maybe $12 - $13. Gave him my particulars and he said he would mail it out the next day. I asked him, but, don't you need at least my check first? He said (over the phone, didn't know me from Adam's Off Ox)...said he trusted me to send him the money.

Needless to say my check went out in the mail the very next day.
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 03-04-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks, Oswald. I'll order some of that oil tomorrow.

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Thanks, Oswald. I'll order some of that oil tomorrow.
    Not an oil...it's a synthetic, both lubricant and protectant...put it on wet and it dries to a coating that will repel moisture, even in the presence of salt.

Would I coat a gun with it and drop it in the Atlantic for a few weeks and expect no effect...hell no!

If I were living in Miami....eh, I may check 'em a bit more often than I do...possibly reapply every 6 months or so...very different humidity profile that WI, and my AC aids in keeping the humidity down.

For me, it's the best product I've found for preserving metal against rust and deterioration. Hell, I'm sorely tempted to try coating parts of my 51 Kaiser Deluxe with it...though I'll likely use Por 15 instead.
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 03-04-2021 at 09:27 PM.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Here in coastal SC, it's very humid. However, just gun oil and central heat/air (which reduces humidity in the home) works fine for me.