Thread: Modern Cartridge Handgun hooting Alternative

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Modern Cartridge Handgun hooting Alternative

I was going to tell everyone that if your favored type of handgun is unobtainable, or your ammo supply is getting low,, you might want to switch over to shooting black powder revolvers while the scarcity of modern handguns continues.

However, unless you are already set up with black powder shooting and supplies, it might be too late to switch over to BP. Many of the online BP catalogs that sell revolvers are sold out and whatever you order will be placed on back order. Gunbroker still has a pretty diverse collection of reproductions, but the prices are starting to go up.

Getting a BP firearm can still be done, but I've noticed that percussion caps are unobtainable now. I guess the manufacturers are switching over to trying to keep up with the modern ammo demands and just aren't taking the time to make more caps. Also, there's the lack of materials to make the percussion caps, just as there is with making modern cartridge primers.

An alternative to using caps, is to shoot firearms that use flints as an ignition source. I have about 10 flintlock rifles and one flintlock pistol.

I stopped shooting modern forearms and using up my ammo (I still have a lot, but am not going to use it unless I really have to). However, I am sitting pretty as far as muzzle loader firearms and components go and will head to my brother's farm and do some shooting as soon as it warms up a little bit more (daytime temps in the 30's and 40's now). Since it takes much longer to reload them, I won't shoot as much as I would with modern firearms (another blessing in disguise here).

The only bitch about shooting BP is you have to completely take the gun apart to clean it. This can be tedious with some revolvers.

Still, the fun is there and by the end of the day, a good time will be had by all....

p.s. Can a mod add a capital "S" to "hooting" in the title, to make is "Shooting?" I went to correct it and hit the wrong key. Thanks.

If not, I'll have to talk more about owls....
    Last edited by alismith; 03-08-2021 at 11:41 AM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I think when you know you only have one shot, you'll take your time and focus more on the target and trigger as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    I think when you know you only have one shot, you'll take your time and focus more on the target and trigger as well.
    That could be why many of the 1700 and 1800 shooters were so good, i.e., Daniel Boone, Davey Crockett, Jim Bridger, etc. One shot was all they needed most of the time.

Depending on the situation, if you missed, you may not have gotten a chance at a second shot.
    Last edited by alismith; 03-14-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Shooting is a Hoot
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Shooting is a Hoot
    Only if you give a hoot about it.

Freedom isn't free.

Nice hooting....very nice hooting.....

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    However, unless you are already set up with black powder shooting and supplies, it might be too late to switch over to BP.
    That's pretty much where I'm at. I have one of those 1858 Remington's you mentioned in the top ten thread
    It's converted to a 45lc but still have the original parts
    Never had the patience for the original set up even though I should have taken the time to learn it
    Not sure I'd take the time now to learn the flintlock (old dog new tricks) even though I can see the reasons to learn
    If any of the regulars that come here ever show up again I'll have to see if they have any
    Wouldn't mind at least seeing them in action might motivate me

That's pretty much where I'm at. I have one of those 1858 Remington's you mentioned in the top ten thread
    It's converted to a 45lc but still have the original parts
    Never had the patience for the original set up even though I should have taken the time to learn it
    Not sure I'd take the time now to learn the flintlock (old dog new tricks) even though I can see the reasons to learn
    If any of the regulars that come here ever show up again I'll have to see if they have any
    Wouldn't mind at least seeing them in action might motivate me
    Flintlocks are a hoot to shoot (pun intended). The only real difference between shooting a flintlock and percussion is you have to get used to the flash of fire right in front of your face when you pull the trigger. It's really not as scary as it looks, but it does take a little getting used to.

One falsehood is that Flintlocks have a lag time between trigger pull and ignition. If you've done everything correctly, you won't notice any ignition time difference between the percussion and the flintlock. Both are almost instantaneous.

I'm still debating on buying a conversion cylinder for either my Remingtons or my Rugers. If I do decide to take the plunge, I'll probably get one for the Ruger Old Army.

Freedom isn't free.

I went with a gated cylinder but if I did another I think I'd go ungated
    No work on the frame required for clearance chambering the round
    Just did it to kind of get over on the "system"
    For the price I probably should have just got a modern round replica but I wouldn't have gotten the same satisfaction

Woo Hoo! I was cleaning out my room tonight and ran across a box of 1,800 #11 percussion caps I squirreled away last year. I have another 1,000 or so in the other room.

I'm really set for pistol and rifle shooting now!!!!!

Freedom isn't free.