Thread: Weird problem with ALL of my Mosin Nagant Rifles. WTH?

Weird problem with ALL of my Mosin Nagant Rifles. WTH?

I have multiple M91/30s, M44s and M39s. I recently found a nice unopened case of 7.62x54R cartridges in stripper clips so I decided to take a few of the rifles out for some nice plinking.

EVERY single rifle. The moment I pushed down the rounds from the stripper clip into the magazine, they all sunk to the bottom and just would NOT come back up again. They were all so low that the bolt couldn't catch a single one and push it into the chamber. I had to pop the bottom plate of the fixed magazine open in order to dump out the unfired rounds. The springs and follower are all intact and clean, but the pressure of the springs seems really weak. I checked with FOUR total Mosin actions and I couldn't get ONE to fire This totally sucks.

Is it common that the magazine springs go bad in Mosin rifles? Or is there something else? The springs feel really weak and they certainly don't have enough tension to push the rounds UP from the magazine into a line with the bolt. They just all sit there, at the bottom of the magazine.

I might try breaking all of the rifles apart and thoroughly cleaning every part. Perhaps there is old gummed up cosmoline making it stick somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I have multiple M91/30s, M44s and M39s. I recently found a nice unopened case of 7.62x54R cartridges in stripper clips so I decided to take a few of the rifles out for some nice plinking.

EVERY single rifle. The moment I pushed down the rounds from the stripper clip into the magazine, they all sunk to the bottom and just would NOT come back up again. They were all so low that the bolt couldn't catch a single one and push it into the chamber. I had to pop the bottom plate of the fixed magazine open in order to dump out the unfired rounds. The springs and follower are all intact and clean, but the pressure of the springs seems really weak. I checked with FOUR total Mosin actions and I couldn't get ONE to fire This totally sucks.

Is it common that the magazine springs go bad in Mosin rifles? Or is there something else? The springs feel really weak and they certainly don't have enough tension to push the rounds UP from the magazine into a line with the bolt. They just all sit there, at the bottom of the magazine.

I might try breaking all of the rifles apart and thoroughly cleaning every part. Perhaps there is old gummed up cosmoline making it stick somewhere.

Thanks in advance.
    I'm not real familiar with mosin's but do the followers move up and down freely when you push on them with your finger? is it possible that the magazine got gummed up over time?

Also, with the bolt out and rifle apart, does one of the rounds move feely up and down in the magazine. I.e., rule out a bad batch of ammo with out of spec rims.