Thread: Remember the Letter, General Marshall read in Saving PVT. Ryan?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up Remember the Letter, General Marshall read in Saving PVT. Ryan?

I did not know it at first, till I did a search, but it was a Real Letter! Sent to a Widow, Mrs. Lydia Bixby in Massachusetts, in Early Fall, 1864.

Executive Mansion,
    Washington, Nov, 21 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the Files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the Mother of Five son's who have Died gloriously on the Field of Battle.

I feel how week and fruitless must be any word of mine which would beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully.

A. Lincoln

I can never forget General Marshall reading this, then telling his Officers, Gentlemen! The Boy is Alive, we are going to find him, and get him the Hell out of there!
    Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    I did not know it at first, till I did a search, but it was a Real Letter! Sent to a Widow, Mrs. Lydia Bixby in Massachusetts, in Early Fall, 1864.

Executive Mansion,
    Washington, Nov, 21 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the Files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the Mother of Five son's who have Died gloriously on the Field of Battle.

I feel how week and fruitless must be any word of mine which would beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully.

A. Lincoln

I can never forget General Marshall reading this, then telling his Officers, Gentlemen! The Boy is Alive, we are going to find him, and get him the Hell out of there!
    Paul
    A brilliant part of that scene was where Marshall puts the letter down but still continues reciting it, meaning that he has committed it to memory and doesn't actually need to read it.

Makes me sad that such beautiful scenes are smeared and belittled by the America Hating LEFTISTS in this country.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

So True! my Friend. I need to find out who played General Marshall. He looked so much like him.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Great scene.

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Reminds me of the five Sullivan brothers who died on the same ship.

The five Sullivan brothers were World War II sailors of Irish American descent who, serving together on the light cruiser USS Juneau, were all killed in action on its sinking around November 13, 1942.

The five brothers, the sons of Thomas (1883–1965) and Alleta Sullivan (1895–1972) of Waterloo, Iowa, were:

George Thomas Sullivan, 27 (born December 14, 1914), Gunner's Mate Second Class (George had been previously discharged in May 1941 as Gunner's Mate Third Class.)
    Francis Henry "Frank" Sullivan, 26 (born February 18, 1916), Coxswain (Frank had been previously discharged in May 1941 as Seaman First Class.)
    Joseph Eugene "Joe" Sullivan, 24 (born August 28, 1918), Seaman Second Class
    Madison Abel "Matt" Sullivan, 23 (born November 8, 1919), Seaman Second Class
    Albert Leo "Al" Sullivan, 20 (born July 8, 1922), Seaman Second Class

Hobe - Gen. Marshall was played by the late Harve Presnell.
    If the name sound familiar, he played Rotten Luck Willie in "Paint Your Wagon", Johnny Brown in "Unsinkable Molly Brown", Dave Severance in "Flags of Our Fathers", and so much more. He even had a guest star role on Star Trek: TNG - as a "Q" !!
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0696193/...ttfc_fc_cl_t75
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Hobe - Gen. Marshall was played by the late Harve Presnell.
    If the name sound familiar, he played Rotten Luck Willie in "Paint Your Wagon", Johnny Brown in "Unsinkable Molly Brown", Dave Severance in "Flags of Our Fathers", and so much more. He even had a guest star role on Star Trek: TNG - as a "Q" !!
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0696193/...ttfc_fc_cl_t75
    That's interesting..... l remember him from Paint Your Wagon and always thought he was more of a singer than an actor.

I've seen him on movies like Private Ryan and Fargo but never realized that was the guy that played Rotten Luck Willie and sang Mariah.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???