Thread: 1987 Australian Assault Rifle sold in the old Shotgun News!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Question 1987 Australian Assault Rifle sold in the old Shotgun News!

Remember that odd looking Semi-Auto Australian made Assault style Rifle in the shotgun News before they changed their name? I forgot what it was called. it came out around the time as that Major in the Texas National Guard, was selling a Rifle He had made, and Issued to his Guardsmen. I had thought it might be the next Australian Rifle replacing the FN-FAL, which to me never had to be replaced anywhere. However Australia went and adopted that horrible Styer AUG Bull-Pub in the even more horrible 5.56mm Caliber! Noticed how the French are going to the M-4 and getting rid of their FAMAS, which was also a Joke! To me a Bull-Pub will always be a pile of S**T. I think the Australian Rifle began with the letter A. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Well, you ARE entitled to your wrong opinion. We believe in freedom of speech here

Can't believe I still see 30-06 snobbery smearing the 'poodle shooter' 5.56mm. The 5.56mm is perfectly fine for it's purposes.

I don't ever recall an indigenous Australian bullpup that was NOT their licensed version of the Steyr AUG. And YES, though the French are dumping their FAMAS (not for the M4 but for the HK36C updated model) but also the IDF is dumping their M4s for the newest version of the TAVOR bullpup.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Remember that odd looking Semi-Auto Australian made Assault style Rifle in the shotgun News before they changed their name? I forgot what it was called. it came out around the time as that Major in the Texas National Guard, was selling a Rifle He had made, and Issued to his Guardsmen. I had thought it might be the next Australian Rifle replacing the FN-FAL, which to me never had to be replaced anywhere. However Australia went and adopted that horrible Styer AUG Bull-Pub in the even more horrible 5.56mm Caliber! Noticed how the French are going to the M-4 and getting rid of their FAMAS, which was also a Joke! To me a Bull-Pub will always be a pile of S**T. I think the Australian Rifle began with the letter A. Paul
    Would this be the rifle? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leader..._Series_T2_MK5

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    I have one of those. I must of misread his original post, but I 'thought' he implied that the 1987 Aussie gun was a bullpup. With a second reading, I think he transitions into an anti-bullpup rant seamlessly and I thought the entire post was about bullpups.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Looks a lot like an Ar180 upper and lower.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

No that is the Gun! I was asking about! I had forgotten it's name! No The Bull-Pup was that Model 88 Rifle the Australian version of the Styer AUG Bull-Pup Carbine. I don't know why they did not stay with this Leader Rifle.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Interesting after reading the wiki, I don't think this guy was a genius but incorporating a bunch of other guns into the mix, and clearly a smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I have one of those. I must of misread his original post, but I 'thought' he implied that the 1987 Aussie gun was a bullpup. With a second reading, I think he transitions into an anti-bullpup rant seamlessly and I thought the entire post was about bullpups.
    You have one?