Thread: Quail anyone?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quail anyone?

These pics are of the same bird,there was a group of six right under my blind.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

So are you needing to show ID to get in the house these days?
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Very cool.

Do you have good populations of quail in your area? Our numbers are way down due to rain over the summer. As I understand it the mortality rate on young was real bad. Hopefully the numbers bounce back next year. We're not even having a grouse season this year due to this.
    Returns June 3rd.

Jefferson
    Any good things on the conservation land you posted about?

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Jefferson
    Any good things on the conservation land you posted about?
    Yes, deer, turkey and squirrel numbers look good everywhere I've been. Game birds and rabbits, not so much, it was a bad year for them. In years past I didn't pay that much attention to the conservation areas because I had other places to hunt. But now since I sold my lake place and since my buddies place is no longer an option since that estate was sold, I'm left with CA areas till I get my own place purchased. Luckily our conservation department here in Missouri does a good job and is hunter friendly.

Otto, I don't remember what state you live in, are you up north?
    Returns June 3rd.

Indiana. Near here we have Jasper/Puaski where the Sandhill stop over during migrations.
    Good DNR programs and they give out lots of stuff for residents around here to start populations. Plantlife too
    I have heard horror stories about hunting there though. From what I understand you take your life in your hands at times from all the yahoo's that come in there during season.

Indiana. Near here we have Jasper/Puaski where the Sandhill stop over during migrations.
    Good DNR programs and they give out lots of stuff for residents around here to start populations. Plantlife too
    I have heard horror stories about hunting there though. From what I understand you take your life in your hands at times from all the yahoo's that come in there during season.
    I gottcha. Yeah here you have to figure out what are the areas that get a lot of pressure and which don't, because like you said, some moron from the city will shoot you. I've spent much of the past 6 months scouting different areas and have found some that get little traffic due to being out in the boonies and requiring lots of walking. I love the fact that most guys don't like to walk over a mile or so.
    Returns June 3rd.

So are you needing to show ID to get in the house these days?
    Almost!I am on the lease 2-3 weekends each month more during hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Very cool.

Do you have good populations of quail in your area? Our numbers are way down due to rain over the summer. As I understand it the mortality rate on young was real bad. Hopefully the numbers bounce back next year. We're not even having a grouse season this year due to this.
    We have spotted as many as 12 to covey and we have seen 6 different coveys on the 2k acres.The numbers are coming back and in good number.I have never hunted quail like doves.I enjoy watching them and hope to see the populations increase.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post

We have spotted as many as 12 to covey and we have seen 6 different coveys on the 2k acres.The numbers are coming back and in good number.I have never hunted quail like doves.I enjoy watching them and hope to see the populations increase.
    That's cool, where I grew up in southern Nebraska we enjoyed ample numbers of both quail and pheasant. When we moved to Missouri I was really disapointed that the numbers of both were far less. But the MDC has been doing a good job of bringing back the quail, tho we still don't have pheasant here in the central part of the state.
    Returns June 3rd.

That's cool, where I grew up in southern Nebraska we enjoyed ample numbers of both quail and pheasant. When we moved to Missouri I was really disapointed that the numbers of both were far less. But the MDC has been doing a good job of bringing back the quail, tho we still don't have pheasant here in the central part of the state.
    Our problem has been the fire ants,cotton tails and jack rabbits suffered as well here in Texas.This spring we have seen tons of cotton tails and dozens of jack rabbits on the lease.The one thing we have not seen is javelina,I'd like to hunt some of these.

Our problem has been the fire ants,cotton tails and jack rabbits suffered as well here in Texas.This spring we have seen tons of cotton tails and dozens of jack rabbits on the lease.The one thing we have not seen is javelina,I'd like to hunt some of these.
    Oh yeah, I'd think a javelina hunt would be fun. There are a few spots around Missouri that have wild pigs, but none close and finding their location would take time.

I'm going to try a spot this weekend I've not been to for rabbits. We'll see how it goes, but with not being familiar with the erea it might end up more of a scouting expedition than anything.
    Returns June 3rd.

Wow, how do the ants effect them? I've not heard of that or thought of it actually.

Pheasant's here were doing pretty good a few years ago because the farmers were reimbursed a bit to set some groud sit for wildlife.
    That went away so they plant "fence row to fence row" and the habitat just isn't there now.
    I hope to someday get the farmland I'm in the middle of to at least get brought back to some degree.
    It's not in my name and it's still nice to have my mom around so I'll enjoy it for what it is right now.

Damn where's that edit I screwed up that one sentence pretty good

Wow, how do the ants effect them? I've not heard of that or thought of it actually.

Pheasant's here were doing pretty good a few years ago because the farmers were reimbursed a bit to set some groud sit for wildlife.
    That went away so they plant "fence row to fence row" and the habitat just isn't there now.
    I hope to someday get the farmland I'm in the middle of to at least get brought back to some degree.
    It's not in my name and it's still nice to have my mom around so I'll enjoy it for what it is right now.
    Since these birds nest on the ground the ants have a good meal.The fire ants have moved on for the most part,nothing like a few years ago.

Pheasant and Quail are my very favorite hunts !

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Do you have a lot of blue quail in Del Rio or just bobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Dogblaster View Post
    Do you have a lot of blue quail in Del Rio or just bobs?
    We have only spotted the bobs in great numbers,the blues are there just not as many.

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

I would've figured there'd be a lot of blues considering how rocky it is. We had about 50-50 mix when we had our lease in Ozona. Blues are fun to shoot. You shoot 'em on the ground running more often than not because they won't hardly flush. Believe it or not, they're harder to hit on the ground than when they're airborn. I've killed a LOT of prickly pear shootin at those little bastards... Then when you clean them, you see that they have a lot of meat on their legs as opposed to the bobs. They're built for running more than flying without a doubt.

I haven't got to hunt quail in 6-8 years now and I sure miss it.

I have never done any quail hunting.There have been so few of them.

Oh yeah, I'd think a javelina hunt would be fun. There are a few spots around Missouri that have wild pigs, but none close and finding their location would take time.

I'm going to try a spot this weekend I've not been to for rabbits. We'll see how it goes, but with not being familiar with the erea it might end up more of a scouting expedition than anything.

Javalina hunting is an absolute blast... Javalina eating on the other hand sucks. I've tried it every way you can, with different people cleaning it that "Knew the secret way to good taste" blah blah bullshit. Javalina tastes like shit no matter what.