Thread: Could use some help/input with 9mm load.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Could use some help/input with 9mm load.

Hey gunsnet.net, long time no see. Been busy with family, work, etc. I hope everyone is doing well.

Ok, here's the situtation: I'm setting up my reloader for a new 9mm recipe/load. OAL per reloading manual is 1.13" for this particular load. Not much adjustment from previous setting because it was set-up for a different 9mm load. So not much to tweak each station. Going one round at a time, I'm getting mostly 1.13 with the occasional 1.135 to 1.1295, but while confirming everything to getting ready to pump rounds out, I'll get a few OALs of 1.1285 and 1.127 sprinkled in even when I didn't change the seating depth after thinking I was dialed in.

Thoughts? Just go with it because it's within a hundreth or two? Something loose (I don't think there is...).

Equipment: Dillon 550b, Lee carbide pistol dies, assorted label brass, Berry 9mm plated (.356") 115gr RN.

Thanks. I'm not OCD in the slightest but this stuff drives me nuts.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

Looks like your total variance is only .008
    (1.135 - 1.127 = 0.008)

With the average of .0055
    (1.1350 - 1.1295 = .0055)

Thickness of a human hair is around .004 to .006

A difference in the jacketing on the slugs or slightly deformed bullet nose could be the cause

If you're using once fires cases, are you case cutting and reaming them?

If not, that could explain the variance.

As long as you're getting a good crimp so the bulled doesn't push back into the case on the feed ramp I wouldn't stress on it too much.

(unless you really are OCD)

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nobeard View Post
    Looks like your total variance is only .008
    (1.135 - 1.127 = 0.008)

With the average of .0055
    (1.1350 - 1.1295 = .0055)

Thickness of a human hair is around .004 to .006

A difference in the jacketing on the slugs or slightly deformed bullet nose could be the cause

If you're using once fires cases, are you case cutting and reaming them?

If not, that could explain the variance.

As long as you're getting a good crimp so the bulled doesn't push back into the case on the feed ramp I wouldn't stress on it too much.

(unless you really are OCD)
    Geez, why'd you have to go all Math on me and make me look like a putz??? Lol, I guess it's mainly I'm still relatively new to reloading. In fact only reloading I've done so far is for 9mm. As to your question, I am using once fired cases and I'm not cutting or reaming them, just resizing/de-priming, etc.

I guess it just seems to me that the length of case and even the bullet in this instance shouldn't matter because the bullet will be sliding into the case, and with the seating die set for 1.13" (as best as I can tell), why there are still variances in OAL.

Upon introspection, I'm possibly, maybe, a little OCD in regards to reloading ONLY, lol. Everything else is "close enough" for me .
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    Geez, why'd you have to go all Math on me and make me look like a putz??? Lol, I guess it's mainly I'm still relatively new to reloading. In fact only reloading I've done so far is for 9mm. As to your question, I am using once fired cases and I'm not cutting or reaming them, just resizing/de-priming, etc.

I guess it just seems to me that the length of case and even the bullet in this instance shouldn't matter because the bullet will be sliding into the case, and with the seating die set for 1.13" (as best as I can tell), why there are still variances in OAL.

Upon introspection, I'm possibly, maybe, a little OCD in regards to reloading ONLY, lol. Everything else is "close enough" for me .
    on any cartridge I reload I always see a few thousandths each way on the COAL. On spitzer bullets a lot of the dies press on the ogive so the length is not going to be super consistent. I set it so the average is where it is supposed to be.