Thread: German Mauser Question

German Mauser Question

I just purchased a bolt-action 7mm German Mauser from a guy a work with and I'm having trouble finding out any information about it. It has concurrent serial #'s, 8985, with Nazi markings and a 44 mark and either DAU or DOU. I tried checking the mauser website but they have little information on models made pre-1999. Anybody out there know anything or able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Here you go... http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html

dou = Waffen-Werke Brünn AG

The ammo you'll want for your rifle will be 8mm (7.92x57mm to be exact, but it is usually marked as simply 8mm). Hope this helps.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

if you have just purchased a 7mm mauser, i would caution against bgummer's recommendation of using 8mm mauser ammunition.

look for ammo marked 7x57 , or 7mm mauser.

all of this, of course, hinges on the fact that you are sure its a 7mm mauser.

Thank you so much! That helps a lot.

No problem bsluss, welcome to Gunsnet.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    if you have just purchased a 7mm mauser, i would caution against bgummer's recommendation of using 8mm mauser ammunition.

I had considered his reference to 7mm, but his description is for a late war K98k with matching numbers which would be chambered for 7.92x57mm not the 7x57mm (a more common caliber for Spanish Mausers as opposed to German/3rd Reich Mausers). Confusion for a new owner might stem from the fact that the receiver ring would be marked "7.9".

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

as i said, as long as he was sure it was a 7mm mauser. im aware of the rounds that the different militarys chamberd different versions for, but im not up on who's went where and when.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Receiver look like this ?

I am sitting in my angry chair!

pretty sure thats 7.92x57 mm, or 8mm mauser

opps,,just saw thatdate of this thread,,hahahaha,,ok

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post

The fact that he said Nazi markings and 44 DOU says it's a K98k 7.93x57 a.k.a. 8 mm Mauser rifle. None were in 7 x 57 ever.