Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Unconventional Weapons

  1. #1
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,052

    Unconventional Weapons

    What do you have around your houses that could be used for your defense in a home invasion?
    Here are some items that have been "repurposed", saving some from the trash as well.

    At the top is a metal yardstick. It is there for two reasons - size comparison and as a "tool". While it would bend if hit on the flat side, the narrow edge can cause some very painful slashes, possibly even breaking smaller bones like from the elbow down.
    Next down is an old umbrella handle. After carefully removing all extraneous metal and cloth, I filed the metal point to put a slight edge on it. The shaft is essentially hollow and would bend if slashed but should be able to puncture 1 - 3 times before being damaged.
    How many of you remember the stories of somebody being beaten with "rubber hoses"? This old piece of garden hose is rather stiff with age and will cause some painful bruising - or worse if you whack the perp across the eyes.
    Then there is one half of a branch lopper. When the hooked side broke, I unbolted the hinge and sharpened the blade very carefully. It can puncture but is better at slashing say, across the neck.
    The last item is a chef's knife. With the edge I have on this knife and its weight, it just might chop off an arm below the elbow. Or, by coming up under the breast bone (sternum), you should be able to puncture the heart or aorta.


    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  2. #2
    Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Phoenix,Az
    Posts
    4,315
    My wife keeps a bowling pin beside the bed

    She has trouble racking the slide on her pistol, pretty sure she's no danger to anyone with the bowling pin, but she says it makes her feel safe

  3. #3
    Senior Member NAPOTS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    3,659
    Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    My wife keeps a bowling pin beside the bed

    She has trouble racking the slide on her pistol, pretty sure she's no danger to anyone with the bowling pin, but she says it makes her feel safe
    Yea, sure. That's what you guys keep the bowling pin by the bed for.

  4. #4
    Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Phoenix,Az
    Posts
    4,315
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Yea, sure. That's what you guys keep the bowling pin by the bed for.

  5. #5
    Administrator Krupski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
    Posts
    15,561
    Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    My wife keeps a bowling pin beside the bed

    She has trouble racking the slide on her pistol, pretty sure she's no danger to anyone with the bowling pin, but she says it makes her feel safe
    I'll bet if a bad guy showed up, the adrenaline rush would give her the strength to rack the pistol easily. Hope you never need to find out, though...
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Viking350's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,022
    Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    My wife keeps a bowling pin beside the bed

    She has trouble racking the slide on her pistol, pretty sure she's no danger to anyone with the bowling pin, but she says it makes her feel safe
    Same for my wife. I got her a revolver for that reason and the fact that she would never be able to handle a malfunction under pressure. A good revolver goes bang everytime.

  7. #7
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,052
    Anything of sufficient size that can be easily thrown (canned vegetables, soup, etc.) at an invader's upper body, esp. the head, is going to make them duck or jerk to the side - unless you're lucky and connect with their head/face.
    I don't have a picture of it but I carry in my car the tube and ground spike of a defunct solar light. The spike is cast aluminum while the tube is extruded aluminum so it isn't all that "durable" but I have hand filed the 4 ribs of the spike to put a little edge on them and a sharp point. The overall length is about 14-15" with the tube being a bit longer of the two pieces.
    If any of you have other ideas of non-firearm SD/HD "tools", I hope you will show us what you have dreamed up.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    15,863
    Old skool literal axes, bayonets, and ball bats.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    15,863
    also dont forget chemical weapons, wasp spray can shoot several feet and a blast of that to the eyes and mouth might discourage miscreants and send them seeking medical attention
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

  10. #10
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    6,068
    The traditional riot stick/police baton is also quite effective in close quarters...
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

  11. #11
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    The traditional riot stick/police baton is also quite effective in close quarters...
    There is an old, wooden one that I carry in my p/u. The thing that worries me is that, just above the ribbed handle, the shaft is only about 3/4" in thickness, and I'm afraid that it is likely to snap. I have even considered taking a long drill bit and drilling up through the handle so I can put a steel rod about 1/8-3/16" dia. up the middle to reinforce the handle.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  12. #12
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    6,068
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    There is an old, wooden one that I carry in my p/u. The thing that worries me is that, just above the ribbed handle, the shaft is only about 3/4" in thickness, and I'm afraid that it is likely to snap. I have even considered taking a long drill bit and drilling up through the handle so I can put a steel rod about 1/8-3/16" dia. up the middle to reinforce the handle.
    Allow me to recommend replacing it with something like this:

    https://www.woodenswords.com/Heavy_C...teel.ebony.htm

    Poking, jabbing, striking...an excellent unconventional weapon. I have one, excellent construction and the pommel is heavy duty, of skull crushing weight if used properly.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

  13. #13
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    13,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Allow me to recommend replacing it with something like this:

    https://www.woodenswords.com/Heavy_C...teel.ebony.htm

    Poking, jabbing, striking...an excellent unconventional weapon. I have one, excellent construction and the pommel is heavy duty, of skull crushing weight if used properly.
    I have, and have carried, this one from Cold Steel.

    https://www.celticwebmerchant.com/en...ing-stick.html

    I don't think they make them for sale in the States now, but according to the article, they are still able to get them in Europe.

    I've had no problems with mine, and still carry it, occasionally.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

    "If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

  14. #14
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    6,068
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I have, and have carried, this one from Cold Steel.

    https://www.celticwebmerchant.com/en...ing-stick.html

    I don't think they make them for sale in the States now, but according to the article, they are still able to get them in Europe.

    I've had no problems with mine, and still carry it, occasionally.
    Essentially the same thing as in my link, though the one in my link is hickory and stainless, so the pommel would be heavier than the aluminum one you link to...

    A good shillelagh is a wonderful thing to have...when needed.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

  15. #15
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    13,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Essentially the same thing as in my link, though the one in my link is hickory and stainless, so the pommel would be heavier than the aluminum one you link to...

    A good shillelagh is a wonderful thing to have...when needed.
    The one I have has a pommel of heavy stainless steel with some kind of synthetic, virtually unbreakable, shaft. I know it's not fiberglass as that will shatter if hit a certain way.

    I guess, since Europeon countries are trying to pussify their subjects, they don't want them to have any weapons that might actually hurt someone else....

    Stainless steel will, definitely, put a major hurting on someone...
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

    "If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

  16. #16
    Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,356
    A good ol' Louisville Slugger..... Model P72 Pro Stock--Babe Ruth commemorative with some white friction tape on the handle to be exact. I grabbed it one time when we were having trouble with some drunk stumbling by.....can't shoot everyone....worked too, he saw me come out with that bat and he continued on his way.


    And there's a machete between the dresser and the wall.....I have taken that on hiking and camping trips. Haven't had to use it for anything but cutting plants though.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

  17. #17
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,545
    You guys are ridiculous. You just use gentle reasoning with violent criminals and they'll just stop and go away.

  18. #18
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,545
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Yea, sure. That's what you guys keep the bowling pin by the bed for.

  19. #19
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Essentially the same thing as in my link, though the one in my link is hickory and stainless, so the pommel would be heavier than the aluminum one you link to...
    A good shillelagh is a wonderful thing to have...when needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    The one I have has a pommel of heavy stainless steel with some kind of synthetic, virtually unbreakable, shaft. I know it's not fiberglass as that will shatter if hit a certain way.
    I guess, since Europeon countries are trying to pussify their subjects, they don't want them to have any weapons that might actually hurt someone else....
    Stainless steel will, definitely, put a major hurting on someone...
    Gentlemen, thanks for the links. Both are impressive but I have a limited space and both of these are too long.
    My club is lying on the floor to the outside of the driver's seat and goes into the jump seat area, but not towards the front of the seat. This makes it easier to use inside the cab as it is less than half the length of those staffs.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  20. #20
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    13,534
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Gentlemen, thanks for the links. Both are impressive but I have a limited space and both of these are too long.
    My club is lying on the floor to the outside of the driver's seat and goes into the jump seat area, but not towards the front of the seat. This makes it easier to use inside the cab as it is less than half the length of those staffs.
    Why not this, if you're concerned about size?

    Very compact.

    https://americanguncraft.com/product...-finish-grips/
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

    "If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •