What do you have around your houses that could be used for your defense in a home invasion?
Here are some items that have been "repurposed", saving some from the trash as well.

At the top is a metal yardstick. It is there for two reasons - size comparison and as a "tool". While it would bend if hit on the flat side, the narrow edge can cause some very painful slashes, possibly even breaking smaller bones like from the elbow down.
Next down is an old umbrella handle. After carefully removing all extraneous metal and cloth, I filed the metal point to put a slight edge on it. The shaft is essentially hollow and would bend if slashed but should be able to puncture 1 - 3 times before being damaged.
How many of you remember the stories of somebody being beaten with "rubber hoses"? This old piece of garden hose is rather stiff with age and will cause some painful bruising - or worse if you whack the perp across the eyes.
Then there is one half of a branch lopper. When the hooked side broke, I unbolted the hinge and sharpened the blade very carefully. It can puncture but is better at slashing say, across the neck.
The last item is a chef's knife. With the edge I have on this knife and its weight, it just might chop off an arm below the elbow. Or, by coming up under the breast bone (sternum), you should be able to puncture the heart or aorta.