Thread: What Have You Done To Prep?

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Thumbs up What Have You Done To Prep?

Spare parts for all weapons. Inventory all food items. Same goes with firewood and other items for heating. Check car items for the up coming winter and such. Clothing update for all seasons. The big one is the Medical bag. Inventory and update it.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Honestly I know I have a lot of stuff, but I could not give you any idea of what and how much. I have just been grabbing random items over the years and putting them away. I know I have enough 6" fixed blade knives for everyone on my street, and then some.

Crap, now I feel I have to go through my stuff and see what I have and what I need.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Medical supplies are number one on the list.

Number two is ammo. IF you have ammo, you will be able to barter for almost anything you might need....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

We have long-term food storage put back and canned food that gets rotated to keep it fresh . . .
    With two boys? Food doesn't hang around long enough to get stale

Water purification is important. Along with iodine tablets to kill the 'bugs' we have charcoal based filters to remove the iodine once it's done it's job.
    Several bags of coffee filters for removing any silt and sediment in case it comes down to getting water out of the tank (known as a 'pond' for those not in The South).
    Also have plenty of dog and cat food, which also gets rotated on a regular basis

Have made it a point not to let either propane tank get below 50% just in case the price jumps or there's a delivery interruption.

Good source for medical supplies was: http://www.chinookmed.com/
    Checked and their inventory is pretty bleak + prices have gone way up!
    Have plenty of sutures (silk and chromic) along with scalpel blades (#10 and #11). Also staples and several halo seals.
    Sewing up a laceration isn't as difficult as you would think - especially if it's on somebody else
    If you're not sure how, there are books available. Would be a good call to get a library of print material if you haven't already done so.
    There's also a chance you'll run into a doctor or nurse practitioner willing to trade skilled services for food and safety.
    Over the counter meds. like aspirin, antibiotics, antihistamine / allergy (like Benadryl) and antidirrheal.
    This type of stuff is stored in 50 caliber cans in the hall closet.

Have spare parts for most of the weapons including magazines.
    Plenty of ammo and cleaning supplies (oil, patches and q-tips).
    Figured out how to stack 600 rnds. of .223 on stripper clips in a .30 caliber ammo can, will post pics when I get home
    Decent stock of reloading supplies, a little low on primers but those are hens-teeth right now.

Good collection of blades for a variety of uses along with whetstones and blade sharpening files for the axes and chain saw blades.
    Have several Arkansas whetstones and ceramic stones for finishing the edge. Note: those cheap 'diamond' stones from China will not last.

Fluids, filters and spark plugs for all the vehicles along with stored fuel <--(SEE BELOW).
    Have two trucks (one Chevy 350 cid / one Ford 302 cid) and a car (302 cid) with carburetors in case of an EMP or another Carrington Event. Right now they have Pertronix ignition system but can be switched back to points and condenser in 15 minutes without pulling the distributor.
    Have spare water pumps and hoses for all three along with a complete clutch set for the Chevy.
    Probably should get starters, alternators and carb. overhaul kits

FUEL STORAGE
    Ours is in a shed next to the barn, which is 100 yards away from the house.
    Would NOT recommend storing gas in a garage or any building attached to your home.

There are 15 gallon blue plastic barrel available that will hold gasoline for long term storage. These can be found at some surplus store and were originally used to ship soft drink syrup (like Coca Cola and Mountain Dew) to bottling plants. Take to a car wash, fill about 1/3 with rinse water and add several ounces of baking soda. Roll around to break up any syrup residue then rinse out. It will still have some odor but you can tell when it's clean by the color of the water.
    You might be able to get some from a local bottling plant but DO NOT tell them you intend to use for fuel storage (they run from potential liability).
    Here's what to say: you need rodent-proof storage for critter food, which they also work quite well for.
    Cut one in half around the center. Cut the top off two others, inside the rim, then slide the cut barrel onto them as a lid. Get a loop type drawer handle and bolt it to the outside of the lid half so it's easier to pull off.

Oh; when they ask "why do you need 20 barrels?"
    Just shrug "I gots a lotta critters."

I used 2x the recommended amount to Sta-Bil and stored some 93 octane non-ethanol fuel for 12 month. There were zero issues in a fuel injected engine.
    Damn good thing too 'cause that test was with Julie's Tahoe!
    Carbureted engine just needed a little more throttle than normal for highway speed, but it started and ran fine.
    Should be noted that both vehicles got 1 pint of 108 octane boost per 15 gallons of long-term stored fuel.

Find a big trucking company and see if they have any empty 55 gallon DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) barrels.
    Note: I HAVE NOT tried using these for gasoline, but they work for long term diesel fuel storage.
    Clean them out at the car wash, but be warned that DEF is 32% urea and smells like cat piss.
    Use the same story as the 15 gallon barrels (critter food storage) or tell them they will be used as planters or something similar.

Well, crap.
    Looks like I wrote a book or something

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

I have to admit I'm sorely ill prepared I really need to stock up
    They have started airing Doomsday Preppers here
    It's several years old now but some things are still very relevant these days
    It does give me some incentive though I don't plan on buying a missile silo
    Biggest thing I have in mind is a whole house emergency generator
    I have an estimator coming next week I've put it off long enough I want to finally pull the trigger on one
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    I have to admit I'm sorely ill prepared I really need to stock up
    They have started airing Doomsday Preppers here
    It's several years old now but some things are still very relevant these days
    It does give me some incentive though I don't plan on buying a missile silo
    Biggest thing I have in mind is a whole house emergency generator
    I have an estimator coming next week I've put it off long enough I want to finally pull the trigger on one
    Just bought a 4,000 watt generator from my son. I want to set it up to run the water pump and water heater and maybe a few lights, etc. Nothing super draining. It'll be far better than what I had, should the electricity go out. All I had prior to this was a lot of kerosene lamps and heaters and battery powered lights. Running water will be a definite plus.

Don't need much. Refrigeration is another concern that I have to look in to. May need to get another generator....

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I'm anxious to hear what they come up with
    They let me know they only do whole house but that sets well with me
    Their ads lately mention solar as well along with battery storage
    I'd be after one that runs on propane which makes me wonder about a bigger tank
    I have a feeling with them closing down the coal plant I'll be seeing more outages
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Non-refrigerated foods (canned/bottled, foil pouches, etc.), gas for generator, firewood, ammo, meds (OTC - up to 1 years worth, RX - ~9 mths), kerosene/candles, batteries (AAA, AA, & some C & D), on "city" water so no well, LOTS of "non-food" household supplies.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Picked up a surplus F15 and a few B61 gravity nukes. Biden told me to.

I'm holding out for an F-111.
    Looks kewl when the wings are swept back and an F-15 has a tandem cockpit . . .
    Don't want to put up with the boys fighting over who gets the front seat

Here's the ammo can pic that was previously promised

Stack the bottom row with the stripper clips vertical (400 rnds.) and the top row horizontal (200 rnds.)
    This leaves a small cavity at the end of the top row for a bag of q-tips, patches, oil bottle and stripper guides.
    Putting a cardboard separator between each row and the top to bottom stacks will cut down on 'rattling' noises.
    HDR warned us against anything that 'rattles' or 'shines' back in the good old days of SHTF threads.

Some other things that can come in handy.
    We don't drink alcohol - nothing against it, just a personal choice.
    There are plenty drinkers that will be DESPERATE for a snort when things go sideways.
    Most big liquor stores have these 'airline' bottles, selection of flavors and brands may vary in your area (the 'honey' seems to be popular out here).

Granted, you will be paying more per ounce in the long run than getting pints or quarts, but the small bottles are a much better item for barter.
    Smaller volume so they last longer and go farther. Each is individually sealed so the contents are genuine, as opposed to an opened quart that's 1/2 full.

Just thought of something - most drinkers are also smokers.
    Probably need to get a couple of cartons of cigarettes and vacuum seal to keep them fresh. This would be another good barter item.

On the subject of drinkin'
    Get some packages or plastic tubs of Gatorade powder or a similar sports drink. The cost per volume is better, it stores longer and is easier to transport.
    It's important to keep electrolyte levels up. Safe bet we're all going to be working and sweating more than usual.

On the subject of somkin'
    Here's another item to get while available:

Good source of heat for canned food and has a minimal light signature if that turns out to be a concern (which it very well could be - thanks again for the advice, HDR).
    Place inside a partially opened ammo can or under a large metal coffee can with holes poked in the sides and top. This will radiate enough heat to keep you warm, but some ventilation of the area is required. Put several in each vehicle during the February snow storm just in case.
    Last edited by Nobeard; 07-22-2021 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Picked up a surplus F15 and a few B61 gravity nukes. Biden told me to.
    I've got my shotgun beside the door so I can shoot through it if some miscreant is on the other side of it, as O'Biden advised when he was VP.

Freedom isn't free.

Nobeard - where can that canned fuel be found? I have never seen cans like that in any store around here.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Nobeard - where can that canned fuel be found? I have never seen cans like that in any store around here.
    Member's Mark is the Sam's Club brand name. It's in the section with restaurant supplies.

Sporting goods stores with a camping section should have Sterno canned fuel, but the Sam's brand is probably less expensive.

Just had a thought. Make sure all of your preps are kept in a place where fire can't reach them. It doesn't do any good to store them at home and then your home burns down.... Also, if you live in a tornado or hurricane area, make sure they are stored underground where winds can't reach them (and in watertight containers).

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobeard View Post
    Member's Mark is the Sam's Club brand name. It's in the section with restaurant supplies.

Sporting goods stores with a camping section should have Sterno canned fuel, but the Sam's brand is probably less expensive.
    Thanks. Not a Sam's member (anymore) so I'll need to look elsewhere.
    I just hope I don't have to go to "Dick's" for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Just had a thought. Make sure all of your preps are kept in a place where fire can't reach them. It doesn't do any good to store them at home and then your home burns down.... Also, if you live in a tornado or hurricane area, make sure they are stored underground where winds can't reach them (and in watertight containers).
    Good point Ali. No basement, just a crawlspace and (unfortunately) the access hatch is next to where I store a lot of my ammo. Most of my camping supplies are in a separate building (pole barn).

Here's a prep trick I can share...

Buy a quality dehydrator. Buy frozen veggies. Why frozen you ask? Because to properly dehydrate veggies you need to blanch them first, and frozen veggies are blanched first, prior to being flash frozen...some of your work is already done for you. Cut (if necessary) and dehydrate veggies. Store in pint to quart size mason jars, being sure to insert an appropriately sized oxygen absorber as well as a desiccant pack or two (food safe of course). The oxygen absorber will cause the same sort of sealing that canning will...that button on the top of the lid will depress giving the jar an excellent seal, as well as assuring there is no oxygen left in the jar to cause potential rot from forming.

Fruit can be dehydrated and stored the same way, though the prep process for fruit differs from that of veggies.

Here's a good pdf on dehydrating fruits and veggies in general: https://www3.epa.gov/ttnchie1/ap42/c...al/c9s08-2.pdf
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nobeard View Post
    I'm holding out for an F-111.
    Looks kewl when the wings are swept back and an F-15 has a tandem cockpit . . .
    Don't want to put up with the boys fighting over who gets the front seat

Here's the ammo can pic that was previously promised

Stack the bottom row with the stripper clips vertical (400 rnds.) and the top row horizontal (200 rnds.)
    This leaves a small cavity at the end of the top row for a bag of q-tips, patches, oil bottle and stripper guides.
    Putting a cardboard separator between each row and the top to bottom stacks will cut down on 'rattling' noises.
    HDR warned us against anything that 'rattles' or 'shines' back in the good old days of SHTF threads.

Some other things that can come in handy.
    We don't drink alcohol - nothing against it, just a personal choice.
    There are plenty drinkers that will be DESPERATE for a snort when things go sideways.
    Most big liquor stores have these 'airline' bottles, selection of flavors and brands may vary in your area (the 'honey' seems to be popular out here).

Granted, you will be paying more per ounce in the long run than getting pints or quarts, but the small bottles are a much better item for barter.
    Smaller volume so they last longer and go farther. Each is individually sealed so the contents are genuine, as opposed to an opened quart that's 1/2 full.

Just thought of something - most drinkers are also smokers.
    Probably need to get a couple of cartons of cigarettes and vacuum seal to keep them fresh. This would be another good barter item.

On the subject of drinkin'
    Get some packages or plastic tubs of Gatorade powder or a similar sports drink. The cost per volume is better, it stores longer and is easier to transport.
    It's important to keep electrolyte levels up. Safe bet we're all going to be working and sweating more than usual.

On the subject of somkin'
    Here's another item to get while available:

Good source of heat for canned food and has a minimal light signature if that turns out to be a concern (which it very well could be - thanks again for the advice, HDR).
    Place inside a partially opened ammo can or under a large metal coffee can with holes poked in the sides and top. This will radiate enough heat to keep you warm, but some ventilation of the area is required. Put several in each vehicle during the February snow storm just in case.
    The Ammo and the Liquor thing is a great thing there. Makes sense.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!