Thread: WHAT IF?

WHAT IF?

Any of you see the remake of the H.G. Wells, George Pal classic "The Time Machine"?

The remake stars Guy Pearce in the role of the protagonist, Jeremy Irons in the role of the antagonist, leader of the Morlocks.

The gist of this remake, the traveler's fiancée is murdered, the traveler builds a machine to save her but each time he does, she dies again in another way...he can't prevent her death. He decides he needs to go forward in time, to a more enlightened age where they can tell him, why he can't change his past...he needs to know why, even though he has mastery of time, he can't change his past.

In the time of the Eloi and Moorlock, 800,000 years in the future, he gets his answer. The leader of the Moorlocks tells him he is a man consumed with the idea of "WHAT IF?" That if his fiancée had lived, he never would have built his machine, so how could he save her if she had never died in the first place? A classic time paradox...

The Moorlock attempts to send him back to his own time, to prevent him from disrupting current time, yet, the protagonist refuses to believe that WHAT IF is not a possibility...

We are now in WHAT IF territory.

Now, I ask you to juxtapose that with the writings of Alexander Solzhenitsyn, who said:

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

It is unlikely we'll be able to fight the machine coming for us, as Solzhenitsyn and his people would/could have, had they understood...it's no longer so simple as that.

But, there is still a WHAT IF...

What if every organ of the machine's smaller cogs became targets? Every wife, child, brother, sister, father, mother, cousin, friend... Every media stooge who lies for them. Every idiot in all the tech orgs that vilify and deny our freedoms. It is a terrible prospect to consider...truly horrifying...like the firebombing of Dresden, like the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs...but, one has to ask at this point, do we do what needs to be done, or do we go quietly into that goodnight.

The left is awesome at doxing folks on the right. The left can receive the same action...find, identify...

And then...in the ideal of both Solzhenitsyn's query, and the ideal of defeating the moorlocks...I ask you...

WHAT IF!
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Our only hope is that since we have a constitution, and those who "would come for us" swore to uphold that document, would actually do so. Remember, Hitler, Stalin etc didn't have to worry about their jackboots obeying their murderous orders because of some "supreme law of the land". It wouldn't take many to turn things in the favor of we the people. Also there are a lot of rednecks (my favorite term for conservatives who would stand their ground) to make some law people think twice about the possibility of leaving their family without one or more parents. Or coming home and finding that their family looks like an Afghani house after the Taliban came to make a statement.

I pray we never find out.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I've often had a case of the what if's, what if i didn't dump that certain girl I still think about after being married 34 years, What if I had entered the Marines as i was planning on before a self induced accident canceled that time line. There is no going back. I see it in my mind once a choice is made the time line branches off in that direction never to return to the original timeline. It would be awesome if we had the choice to go back and try the timelines we abandoned and vice versa. Thinking of that impossibility drives me nuts sometimes.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Any of you see the remake of the H.G. Wells, George Pal classic "The Time Machine"?

The remake stars Guy Pearce in the role of the protagonist, Jeremy Irons in the role of the antagonist, leader of the Morlocks.

The gist of this remake, the traveler's fiancée is murdered, the traveler builds a machine to save her but each time he does, she dies again in another way...he can't prevent her death. He decides he needs to go forward in time, to a more enlightened age where they can tell him, why he can't change his past...he needs to know why, even though he has mastery of time, he can't change his past.

In the time of the Eloi and Moorlock, 800,000 years in the future, he gets his answer. The leader of the Moorlocks tells him he is a man consumed with the idea of "WHAT IF?" That if his fiancée had lived, he never would have built his machine, so how could he save her if she had never died in the first place? A classic time paradox...

The Moorlock attempts to send him back to his own time, to prevent him from disrupting current time, yet, the protagonist refuses to believe that WHAT IF is not a possibility...

We are now in WHAT IF territory.

Now, I ask you to juxtapose that with the writings of Alexander Solzhenitsyn, who said:

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”

It is unlikely we'll be able to fight the machine coming for us, as Solzhenitsyn and his people would/could have, had they understood...it's no longer so simple as that.

But, there is still a WHAT IF...

What if every organ of the machine's smaller cogs became targets? Every wife, child, brother, sister, father, mother, cousin, friend... Every media stooge who lies for them. Every idiot in all the tech orgs that vilify and deny our freedoms. It is a terrible prospect to consider...truly horrifying...like the firebombing of Dresden, like the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs...but, one has to ask at this point, do we do what needs to be done, or do we go quietly into that goodnight.

The left is awesome at doxing folks on the right. The left can receive the same action...find, identify...

And then...in the ideal of both Solzhenitsyn's query, and the ideal of defeating the moorlocks...I ask you...

WHAT IF!
    Given the right circumstances, no one is above being "touched." The big pharma CEO's, and corporations, that can't be sued, can still be touched, just as you imply here.

No one is above the consequences they bring on themselves.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I would go back in time when Nancy Pelosi was young and HOTT.
    Then give her a Dirty Sanchez. And top it off with a Cleveland Steamer.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    Interesting...

The movie reference was allegorical to the main point, but be that as it may, you would eschew a young Sofia Loren, Ann Margaret, Raquel Welch...in favor of a young Nancy Pelosi for your sexual depredations...

Please tell us more...perhaps Madelaine Albright has also featured prominently in your fantasies?
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 08-22-2021 at 03:41 AM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I don't think Pelosi was ever "HOTT." (Can't imagine anyone looking like she does, ever being nice looking or HOTT.)

Her husband, probably, owed her father, who was a major crime boss in Baltimore, a large sum of money and her father, knowing young Nancy could never get a husband on her own merits (looks), decided to forgive the guy's debt IF he agreed to marry Nancy and move her away from Baltimore so her father wouldn't have to be embarrassed by having her around any longer.....

Just conjecture here, but.....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

There is a picture I seen somewhere awhile back with her and JFK she was good looking. Hillary would be my 2nd choice not Madeline. That's a MAN baby.
    Besides maybe young Nancy gave her future husband Great HEAD.
    Last edited by Nashorn; 08-22-2021 at 09:50 AM.

There is a picture I seen somewhere awhile back with her and JFK she was good looking. Hillary would be my 2nd choice not Madeline. That's a MAN baby.
    Besides maybe young Nancy gave her future husband Great HEAD.
    Ahh well...given you take the destruction of our republic so lightly, one can only hope your eventual fate will assure you're the meat in a Pelosi/Hitlery sandwich...not young Pelosi/Hitlery, of course...current Pelosi/Hitlery...

Now why do I find that idea apropos?

Oh yeah...because there is always someone for whom confirmation bias overrules ratiocination and analysis of the real world.

But, carry on sir!

We all have our crosses to bear.

Ahh well...given you take the destruction of our republic so lightly, one can only hope your eventual fate will assure you're the meat in a Pelosi/Hitlery sandwich...not young Pelosi/Hitlery, of course...current Pelosi/Hitlery...

Now why do I find that idea apropos?

Oh yeah...because there is always someone for whom confirmation bias overrules ratiocination and analysis of the real world.

But, carry on sir!

We all have our crosses to bear.
    As far as the destruction of the Republic goes you don't have the balls to do anything but talk shit from behind a keyboard. I'm sure your a member of some alphabet agency. Ozzy.

Oh!!! I'm mortally wounded and will now lie here and bleed out until dead...

Actually, I doubt there's a single member of any alphabet agency who would know what the word 'allegorical' means, much less how to use it correctly in a sentence.

What if - 3 or 4 certain people had never made it to adulthood? The four that come to mind are Schumer, Feinstein, Pelosi, and Obama.
    Then I think, "No, those are just the puppets." Perhaps it just might be better to have removed two particular rich globalists, Soros and Bloomberg.
    What if - - ??
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hillary would be my 2nd choice not Madeline. That's a MAN baby.

Oh!!! I'm mortally wounded and will now lie here and bleed out until dead...

Actually, I doubt there's a single member of any alphabet agency who would know what the word 'allegorical' means, much less how to use it correctly in a sentence.