Thread: Mexico calls for weapons crackdown

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Mexico calls for weapons crackdown

Mexico calls for weapons crackdown

By SCOTT WONG | 7/20/10 12:17 PM EDT

Mexico’s ambassador to the United States, Arturo Sarukhan, appealed to Congress and the Obama administration on Tuesday to help prevent organized criminals in his country from illegally buying and smuggling weapons from the U.S.

Border violence related to drug, weapons and human trafficking has claimed thousands of lives in recent years. And with Mexico’s strict gun-control laws, law enforcement officials estimate that cartels are purchasing nearly all of their assault weapons and other guns from American vendors.

In Texas border towns alone, there are about 7,000 gun shops, Sarukhan said.

“Regardless of what I may think of the Second Amendment and regardless of whether I think you need to buy armor-piercing ammo to hunt deer or not, Mexico is not challenging the Second Amendment. That is a sovereign decision of Congress; that is a sovereign decision of the American people,” Sarukhan said during a Capitol Hill panel discussion on border violence.

“What we are asking the U.S. to do is help us enforce what’s on the books, help us improve the U.S.’s ability to prevent weapons crossing, and to investigate who and how the drug syndicates are purchasing weapons on this side of the border.”

Sarukhan, speaking to about 100 people during an event sponsored by moderate think tank Third Way, praised the Obama administration for committing additional manpower and resources to beef up border security. But he urged the American government to prevent people from countries that ban assault weapons from being able to buy them in the U.S.

“It won’t magically solve the issue of violence in Mexico if we were to shut down the flow of weapons into Mexico tomorrow. It won’t terminate the problem,” Sarukhan said. “But it will allow the Mexican authorities to not call in the 7th Cavalry every time local and state law enforcement are confronted with the firepower of the drug syndicates, and our 7th Cavalry are our armed forces.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/39957.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Mexico calls for weapons crackdown

By SCOTT WONG | 7/20/10 12:17 PM EDT

Mexico’s ambassador to the United States, Arturo Sarukhan, appealed to Congress and the Obama administration on Tuesday to help prevent organized criminals in his country from illegally buying and smuggling weapons from the U.S.

Border violence related to drug, weapons and human trafficking has claimed thousands of lives in recent years. And with Mexico’s strict gun-control laws, law enforcement officials estimate that cartels are purchasing nearly all of their assault weapons and other guns from American vendors.

“Regardless of what I may think of the Second Amendment and regardless of whether I think you need to buy armor-piercing ammo to hunt deer or not, Mexico is not challenging the Second Amendment. That is a sovereign decision of Congress; that is a sovereign decision of the American people,” Sarukhan said during a Capitol Hill panel discussion on border violence.

“What we are asking the U.S. to do is help us enforce what’s on the books, help us improve the U.S.’s ability to prevent weapons crossing, and to investigate who and how the drug syndicates are purchasing weapons on this side of the border.”

Sarukhan, speaking to about 100 people during an event sponsored by moderate think tank Third Way, praised the Obama administration for committing additional manpower and resources to beef up border security. But he urged the American government to prevent people from countries that ban assault weapons from being able to buy them in the U.S.

“It won’t magically solve the issue of violence in Mexico if we were to shut down the flow of weapons into Mexico tomorrow. It won’t terminate the problem,” Sarukhan said. “But it will allow the Mexican authorities to not call in the 7th Cavalry every time local and state law enforcement are confronted with the firepower of the drug syndicates, and our 7th Cavalry are our armed forces.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0710/39957.html

Steve

I don't believe there are that many gun shops on the entire US/Mexican border.There are only two in Del Rio Texas.

I searched for gun shops in the Texas border towns,there is less than 50 shops between Laredo and El Paso alone. Most of the smalls towns share gun shops with the larger cities.

If the Big Zero himself thinks that 1500 troops is beefing up border security he is a more a tool than we believe.
    Last edited by AKTexas; 07-21-2010 at 03:31 PM.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post

I don't believe there are that many gun shops on the entire US/Mexican border.There are only two in Del Rio Texas.

I search for gun shops in the Texas border towns,there is less than 50 shops between Laredo and El Paso alone. Most of the smalls towns share gun shops with the larger cities.

If the Big Zero himself thinks that 1500 troops is beefing up border security he is a more a tool than we believe.
    I guess it depends on how you define a gun shop and how far north you consider a town a "border town". Kinda like calling a 25 year old gang banger a child I guess.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Just another plea to force us to give up our rights to accommodate illegals.
    I just love how he interjects his opinion on armor piercing rounds for hunting.
    Damn liberals just don’t have the IQ to understand the Bill of rights.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    I guess it depends on how you define a gun shop and how far north you consider a town a "border town". Kinda like calling a 25 year old gang banger a child I guess.
    There is a hidden agenda if they cannot plainly label a gunshop.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Hmm... well I just say this... SHUT THE FUCK UP, dont go tellin us how dirty our house is without cleanin up your stinking cesspit first asshole.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Why doesn't Mexico just pass a law banning drug dealers from having firearms? Everyone knows that laws work!

DUH!!!!!

Why don't they crack down on the drugs that are pouring into our country?

If we have to put up with their drugs, then they will just have to put up with our guns...