Thread: We lost a Giant in Books, 21 Months ago.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Unhappy We lost a Giant in Books, 21 Months ago.

Sadly I found out today, my favorite Fiction Author Clive Cussler had Died on 24 February, 2020, he was 88. The latest novel is called The Devil's Sea. This is the first one his Son Dirk, has Wrote Solo. I wish him well. I had though when Cussler had brought his Son, into writing with him, it meant that he was getting ready to Retire. Sadly He died. Usually I bought the Newest ones on CD. Today I bought the Hard Cover, and that is how I found out he had Died last Year. If you are not Familiar with his Hero Dirk Pitt, Cussler's most famous and well Known Book was Raise the Titanic in 1977. I have read him since 1979. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I've heard of him. My buddy reads his stuff. I'll check him out.

Early on Cussler found a formula that worked well.... mysterious happenings long ago tied to nefarious plots today.

Any writer that has the hero on an 1850's Mississippi River boat full of Civil War reinactors pursuing a bad guy on a modern barge down the River while firing at the bad guy with a Model 1921 Thompson is hard to beat.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

So True!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Sadly I found out today, my favorite Fiction Author Clive Cussler had Died on 24 February, 2020, he was 88. The latest novel is called The Devil's Sea. This is the first one his Son Dirk, has Wrote Solo. I wish him well. I had though when Cussler had brought his Son, into writing with him, it meant that he was getting ready to Retire. Sadly He died. Usually I bought the Newest ones on CD. Today I bought the Hard Cover, and that is how I found out he had Died last Year. If you are not Familiar with his Hero Dirk Pitt, Cussler's most famous and well Known Book was Raise the Titanic in 1977. I have read him since 1979. Paul
    He was a great writer, I have one of his paperbacks to this day Vixen 03 A story about a plane carrying biological weapons that goes down in the US before it could get to sea under distress.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 11-20-2021 at 05:15 PM.

You guys may be interested in author F Paul Wilson, specifically his "Repairman Jack" series. Repairman Jack is a fixer of problems that no one else will take on, a defender of folks who no one else will aid, combined mystery, suspense, often with elements of SF or horror tossed into the mix.

F Paul is a medical GP...began writing as a way to supplement his income as he went through medical school and residency and continues to write to this day because he loves it as much as he does practicing his medical craft. He began with SF stories, has dabbled in horror...Repairman Jack is his everyman fixer ala many authors of 'so called' criminal fiction.

It's good stuff...you'll like it.

If you like horror at all, read his novel 'The Keep'...a classic (forget the movie they made of it...it's total shite). He's a master of leading you down the path of knowing exactly how this tale as going, then turning you on your head by the end.
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 11-21-2021 at 09:43 AM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

F. Paul Wilson's Sci-fi books are great.........

"An Enemy of the State" introduced "KYFHO"...... Keep Your F**ing Hands Off.
    There are two wings, the Tolivers say KYFHO, or we'll move away from you.
    The Flinters are KYFHO or ELSE.

"Healer" is about an immortal man who battles the difficulty of living for a long time and a mysterious evil power that destroys minds.
    Introduced the "Ibazon" double barrel, full-auto, cylindrical end over end slug shotgun.

A number of his Sci-fi books are collected in "The Complete LaNague".

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    F. Paul Wilson's Sci-fi books are great.........

"An Enemy of the State" introduced "KYFHO"...... Keep Your F**ing Hands Off.
    There are two wings, the Tolivers say KYFHO, or we'll move away from you.
    The Flinters are KYFHO or ELSE.

"Healer" is about an immortal man who battles the difficulty of living for a long time and a mysterious evil power that destroys minds.
    Introduced the "Ibazon" double barrel, full-auto, cylindrical end over end slug shotgun.

A number of his Sci-fi books are collected in "The Complete LaNague".
    I'm currently reading this short story collection of Wilson's: https://camelotbooks.com/the-compend...ul-wilson.html

I have a matching numbered copy of volume two and will be getting a matching numbered copy of volume three when it comes out early next year. It's basically a chronological collection of his stories that have not appeared in the few short story collections he's published, though there is some overlap. Stories included cover the range of his various series as well as many one offs and previously unpublished (or only published in magazine) work.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!