Thread: Quote of the week, Dec. 19

Quote of the week, Dec. 19

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.” —George Orwell

As a corollary to that, one of JT's posts in last week's thread reminded me of this:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ―Albert Einstein

Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 12-20-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

If you are not prepared to use to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism. ---Thomas Sowell
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.” —George Orwell

As a corollary to that, one of JT's posts in last week's thread reminded me of this:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ―Albert Einstein

"Why are there so many stupid people" - my daughter, a brain research scientist!

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - - Albert Einstein

"The world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it." - - Albert Einstein

“The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.” - - Albert Einstein

“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman,
    “Years of Trial and Hope”
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

In a confused nation, those whom everyone praises are rewarded even if they have done nothing to merit it."

Huainan Masters, The Book of Leadership and Strategy, translated by Thomas Cleary
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

“America has fought for the boon of liberty…Guard it on every side that it might not be sported away by the folly of the people or the intrigue or deception of their rulers." – Mercy Otis Warren
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

"But there are few foes as implacable as stupidity." Age of Fire series by E. E. Knight, pg. 307, Book 3, Dragon Outcast

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

"Nothing is more frightening than a fear you cannot name." Inkheart, Pg. 104

Freedom isn't free.

"To convert petty annoyances into matters of importance, is to become seriously involved in nothing."

Baltazar Gracian

Freedom isn't free.

From the book, Life, Etc. by Charlie Swayze

"What is simple is seldom understood." pg.15

"If you think you can or you can't, you're right." pg.23

"The only difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is the way you use them." pg. 28

"You can tell what's inside someone by what they laugh at." pg. 31

Freedom isn't free.

Help I've fallen and can't get up. BRANDON.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to always be kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than to not be exercised at all."
    Thomas Jefferson, Feb. 2, 1787

Freedom isn't free.

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    - - Thomas Jefferson, 1802

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world." - - Thomas Jefferson

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - - Thomas Jefferson
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”