Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Holy crap used car prices!

  1. #1
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,684

    Holy crap used car prices!

    I bought a brand new 2019 Ford Fiesta for 15K out the door cash in October of 2019, I have about 28K miles on it now. I just got a quote at carvana and another place to buy it from me. carvana is offering me $17800 for it and the other place 15K...... Anyone sell their used car on carvana? I don't like the car except for the great fuel mileage, It sucks ass in the snow and ice and I'm seriously thinking of selling it. I have a 2001 ford supercrew sitting around that's still driveable but timing chain is making a racket at 200K miles, Thinking of having a re manufactured 5.4 put in it and pocket the rest of the proceeds. The carvana offer almost pays for the engine itself over what I paid for it 2 years ago!
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 01-01-2022 at 12:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Southwest, Missouri
    Posts
    205
    Didn't use Carvana. But we owed right at 21 thousand for our 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Kept getting offers in the mail. I thought they were just trying to get us to do a trade in, but it was real. A dealer paid us 50 dollars over 30 thousand. It was a very nice ride and I was swinging the payment just fine. But payments SUCK!

    We have two older vehicles now. They need a little more maintenance than a newer one, but they are paid for.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    16,292
    Id it the 5.4 that has the fire the spark plugs out and dent the hood issue?
    If so I'd be getting rid of that while the plugs are still in the heads.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

  4. #4
    Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,709
    Yeah car prices are insane. Give it a while for this economy to get worse and cars should be cheaper in the future.

  5. #5
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,158
    The local Ford dealer has sent me 3-4 requests to buy my 2008 Ranger p/u but has never mentioned a dollar amount. The truck bed is a little banged up from me throwing firewood into it and there are a few scrapes from where I backed into a retaining wall while trying to load my riding lawn mower from level ground. Other than fluids, filters, and wipers, everything on the truck is original, including the tires. It is a 4-door extended cab (suicide doors) with a tow package and less than 10K miles on it.
    It is mainly used in bad winter weather (better tires) or when hauling the mower or firewood.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  6. #6
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    Didn't use Carvana. But we owed right at 21 thousand for our 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Kept getting offers in the mail. I thought they were just trying to get us to do a trade in, but it was real. A dealer paid us 50 dollars over 30 thousand. It was a very nice ride and I was swinging the payment just fine. But payments SUCK!

    We have two older vehicles now. They need a little more maintenance than a newer one, but they are paid for.
    I like that! Dave Ramsey here for about 15 years. Debt free for almost a decade.

  7. #7
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,684
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Id it the 5.4 that has the fire the spark plugs out and dent the hood issue?
    If so I'd be getting rid of that while the plugs are still in the heads.
    Not sure what you are talking about. 200K miles on it(2001) but timing chain is suspect.

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    16,292
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Not sure what you are talking about. 200K miles on it(2001) but timing chain is suspect.


    "Ford spark plug blowout repair using a kit over the fender. Most common engines that have the problem are Ford 4.6, 5.4 & 6.8 liter engines, although any engine can have this issue. If unsure of which spark plug thread repair kit is right for your engine, we can assist. Just give Dennis a call (he’s a Master Tech shown in the video below demonstrating the Time Sert 5600 kit). We have been helping Ford owners and repair shops with this common problem since 2005. For more information on this repair, read on. Be sure to see the highlighted text for a brief rundown on our most popular kits and size holes the kits can be used on. You may also ask a question by using our Contact Form, be sure to let us know what you’re working on. Please provide the year, make model, size engine and outside diameter of the failed insert if you know – or let us know if this is a first time repair."
    https://www.wiseautotools.com/blog/f...ow-out-solved/
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

  9. #9
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,684
    Never heard of it before, interesting how they failed to engineer the head properly by having more threads, you'd think if it was that much of an occurrence they would've revised the head. Only problem I've had with mine is a couple coils I've had to replace and a solenoid, and now the timing chain getting quite loud at 200,000 miles. It's been quite dependable for me. I've had numerous ford trucks with little to no problems. Not too worried about it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member jet3534's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West VA
    Posts
    2,041
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    The local Ford dealer has sent me 3-4 requests to buy my 2008 Ranger p/u but has never mentioned a dollar amount. The truck bed is a little banged up from me throwing firewood into it and there are a few scrapes from where I backed into a retaining wall while trying to load my riding lawn mower from level ground. Other than fluids, filters, and wipers, everything on the truck is original, including the tires. It is a 4-door extended cab (suicide doors) with a tow package and less than 10K miles on it.
    It is mainly used in bad winter weather (better tires) or when hauling the mower or firewood.
    I have the same truck with 72K miles. Mostly use it for hauling stuff to the dump, firewood, short trips, etc. At 62,000 miles the transmission had to be replaced for $3000 when just out of warranty. About 1000 miles ago the crankshaft pully more or less self destructed doing a lot of damage. That was about $1900 to have repaired. The rear bumper is smashed in from a deer running into me. Still, given the price of a new Truck I plan to keep the Ranger running forever. Parts are always going to be available. Knowing what I know now I should have gotten an F-150.

    In 2020 I bought a new Kia Soul for 15K cash. Love the car. A great car for long trips. Quiet, smoot, and good economy. Not sure I would ever buy another Ford or GM car.

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    16,292
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Never heard of it before, interesting how they failed to engineer the head properly by having more threads, you'd think if it was that much of an occurrence they would've revised the head. Only problem I've had with mine is a couple coils I've had to replace and a solenoid, and now the timing chain getting quite loud at 200,000 miles. It's been quite dependable for me. I've had numerous ford trucks with little to no problems. Not too worried about it.
    A friend with a Marquis was rolling to work one day not long ago, heard a mini explosion under the hood and it began to run terrible. He pulled over and found a plug and coil pack missing from a cylinder, that's how he found out about this issue and that's how I found out. They knew all about this for years, never changed the design or suffered a class action.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •