Thread: Kankakee State Line Bridge (pic heavy)

Kankakee State Line Bridge (pic heavy)

Good day for a ride cold but sunny. I've actually driven over it many years ago just wanted to find it again

One of the last old bridges still spanning the Kankakee river

Here's a short trip going from the north end to the south

A little dicey on the deck in a few spots

"Bridge of Sighs" reference I'd guess

Spotted a bald eagle along the way

I don't think I'd be on the road here after a heavy rain

Here's some better information than I can offer

https://bridgehunter.com/in/lake/state-line/

This bridge is predominately in Indiana with a small portion of the Western trusses at most being in the state of Illinois. The Kankakee River is actually the dividing line for Lake and Newton Counties in Indiana, and so the bridge could be said to be in 3 counties and 2 states.

Status

Closed to all traffic

Future prospects
    To be rehabilitated in place
    History
    Built ca. 1900
    Design
    Pin-connected Pennsylvania through truss
    Dimensions
    Length of largest span: 222.1 ft.
    Total length: 226.1 ft.
    Deck width: 17.4 ft.
    Vertical clearance above deck: 19.0 ft.
    https://www.daily-journal.com/news/l...e964fcfbc.html

The bridge has stood over the Kankakee River on the state line about 7 miles east of Momence since 1924, when it was moved from where it was built in 1900, just south of where Illinois Route 17 now crosses the river west of Hieland Road.

Numerous proposals to rebuild or replace the bridge have been made since even before it was finally closed to traffic about 18 years ago, but it still stands unused except for the occasional fisherman, hiker or journalist who chooses to cross over.

https://historicbridges.org/bridges/...ana/stateline/

The date given in National Bridge Inventory is 1926 for the construction date. This date is not an appropriate date for this design of bridge. A circa 1900 construction date is more likely. This bridge is an extremely rare example of one-lane pin connected Pennsylvania through truss bridge. Although on a state and county line, this bridge is under Lake County jurisdiction.

The bridge is traditionally composed, but the complex nature of the Pennsylvania truss bridge gives this bridge a beautiful geometry that is more complex than most truss bridges. The bridge's built-up beams feature v-lacing on various locations, and has an a-frame portal bracing design.

For a long time, Lake County sought the demolition of this rare historic bridge, and a lot of arguments took place over the fate of the bridge. Fortunately, the issues have apparently been resolved and this bridge is reportedly going to be preserved in place.
    Last edited by Full Otto; 01-11-2022 at 11:41 PM.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Wow, not much room for the river to rise.

100 yrs and still standing, definitely needs to be saved. When i visit older areas of the country, i do what you do,take a lot of photos of old structures' It's fun to image working on projects like that before OSHA when you could tie the new guy from a rope and let him do all the shit that gets you killed

The city of phoenix, the county and the state are starting to preserve some of the older buildings downtown. The roofing company i retired from liked to do historic restorations, so i got to do extensive investigations/inspections of these old buildings.

There is an old bank building the county acquired that was built in the 30's and had been remodeled so many times that there were abandoned hallways and doors throughout the 8 story structure ( had a swimming pool on the roof also). It was like haunted house!

Yeah if they fix it up they should definitely raise it
    I'm guessing they have it figured in
    It would sure improve the ability to use the river

Sep 19, 2019
    https://www.newsbug.info/newton_coun...869b4fba8.html

“The State Line Bridge between Lake and Newton Counties is no longer functional and strongly merits eventual removal,” said Pelath. “The abandoned bridge frequently accumulates dislodged trees and other floating debris, and this chokepoint restricts the natural downstream flow of water for at least eight Indiana counties.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Great picture with that bald eagle flying by!!!

Did a double take
    At a distance I figured it was a Sandhill crane
    Just started zooming and shooting hoping I'd get at least one good one

There's one near here that isn't as old and still in daily use. It has the metal mesh decking that will tear chunks off tires if the tread blocks are the wrong size. There was also a short span wooden one with an insanely high arch, scared me when driving across it as a kid, you could hear it creak and groan.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Thanks for that post 'NATO it motivated me to get out and grab a couple shots of this bridge
    Spans the Iroquois river just south of me

Old structures fascinate me. Mostly Barns and bridges. I so hate when people decide to tear them down or let them become dilapidated beyond repair. So much history lost.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Thanks for that post 'NATO it motivated me to get out and grab a couple shots of this bridge
    Spans the Iroquois river just south of me

It looks identical to that! There's also a one lane toll bridge down here or mebbe just across the border into illnoise.

this one;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Harmony_Toll_Bridge
    Guess they closed it, when i was still an emt back in 08 we used it almost daily.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Ah here's another that crosses the Wabash near Lafayette
    Davis Ferry Bridge

https://bridgehunter.com/in/tippecanoe/davis-ferry/

https://historicbridges.org/bridges/...na/davisferry/

I've driven over it years ago, it needed a traffic light at each end I don't think two cars would fit

It's been re purposed for a pedestrian walking trail

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    Old structures fascinate me. Mostly Barns and bridges. I so hate when people decide to tear them down or let them become dilapidated beyond repair. So much history lost.

Thanks for sharing.

There's an old school house right down the road from me
    My dad and uncle actually went there
    I found some of their old class pictures from the thirty's here in my house
    Here they are in some before and afters

There's an interesting old barn across the road from it. I'll try and get a shot of it later
    Here it is "Gothic Arch" style
    Last edited by Full Otto; 01-16-2022 at 02:04 PM. Reason: picture added

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Those are very cool pictures. And knowing your dad and uncle went to that school, is all the cooler.

The barn looks like it's missing the bottom half compared to most barns. My uncle had a HUGH barn in Kansas. He wanted tin put on the roof. There was only one family member that had enough balls to go up there. It wasn't me.