Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else worried about a stock market plunge?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Anybody else worried about a stock market plunge?

Heard a guy predict the dow going down 80% shortly. Since he was on coast to coast, the dow is down 3000 pts and falling. I was going to retire in 2 years, We're down 50K in 15 days. Maybe time to move everything into bonds? Lets go brandon! nice job.

It is falling...and will continue to do so...

Per a recent comment by Martin Armstrong: "February is looking like very high volatility is coming and the model has issued both Daily and Weekly sell signals on the US share market leaving our December target as indeed the highest monthly closing."

Bonds are not the answer, unless they are municipal bonds in well run areas...bonds with a track record. There is no western gov't bond worth investing in right now...they have no value.

If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Have you given a thought to gold or silver; not paper metal, but real, physical metal?

Don't know if that would be worth looking into, or not.....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Have you given a thought to gold or silver; not paper metal, but real, physical metal?

Don't know if that would be worth looking into, or not.....
    I have some,but the premium is insane right now to purchase more.. $3-$4 over spot for silver is ridiculous. Most of mine was bought at .99 over spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post

Per a recent comment by Martin Armstrong: "February is looking like very high volatility is coming and the model has issued both Daily and Weekly sell signals on the US share market leaving our December target as indeed the highest monthly closing."

Bonds are not the answer, unless they are municipal bonds in well run areas...bonds with a track record. There is no western gov't bond worth investing in right now...they have no value.

Do you subscribe to his service?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    As of one hour to close, the DOW is now only down 580. Nothing more than someone said something about who knows what and a couple of people panicked.

I figure that this is a "correction" and once normality is restored, the DOW will even out and continue it's slow rise to who knows.

In the few minutes of typing, the DOW is now down 500.

Few minute later update: DOW is bouncing around the 500-600 range, so it is anybody's guess as to who is going to cry wolf in the last seconds sending it down a few hundred more in the last few minutes.

Best thing to do is sit back and pray that when you retire, sanity has returned to the markets.

Gee, look at that, the DOW finished up 71 and is continuing up in after hour trading.

Sit back and relax and don't let a crazy market give you a heart attack which would be counted as COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post

Agreed. Been telling folks to get their cash outta the bank save for whatever has to be left in for bills. There will be no bailout next time, but there will be bail ins where your balance is given by your bank to its creditors in return for stock in your failed bank. Also when paper notes are worthless, metals may still have some value.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Do you subscribe to his service?
    I don't, but on occasion he lets some info about Socrates' predictions into his regular blog posts.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Gee, look at that, the DOW finished up 71 and is continuing up in after hour trading.

Sit back and relax and don't let a crazy market give you a heart attack which would be counted as COVID.
    People buying the dip...the real correction is still to come.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Yes. I am a few months from being able to hit my 401k and put the majority of it I. A safer place. I may not make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Yes. I am a few months from being able to hit my 401k and put the majority of it I. A safer place. I may not make it.
    If the option is available, see if you can convert it to an interest earning money market account. The interest it will earn is negligible, but you'll avoid the market crash.

over 5000 points in 15 days is nothing to sneeze at. Me and the Mrs. are down 50K or more.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 01-25-2022 at 06:13 PM.

Heard a guy predict the dow going down 80% shortly. Since he was on coast to coast, the dow is down 3000 pts and falling. I was going to retire in 2 years, We're down 50K in 15 days. Maybe time to move everything into bonds? Lets go brandon! nice job.
    Enjoy the RIDE Chicken Little. The sky is falling.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

inflation and interest rates are on a collision course. as long as we can peddle our debt, the stock market will stay afloat. when interest rates have to go up ( and i think they do), it will not be pretty.

Just remember that most of the buying and selling that is driving the market these days is NOT from humans but from "computer algorithms".
    When certain markers are hit, the programs make trades. The fact that they can do these trades almost instantly leaves human traders in the dust.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Just remember that most of the buying and selling that is driving the market these days is NOT from humans but from "computer algorithms".
    When certain markers are hit, the programs make trades. The fact that they can do these trades almost instantly leaves human traders in the dust.
    This is the financial equivalent to skynet. Once a level is detected by the algo it starts selling, other algos notice and start selling likewise; a trickle soon becomes a flood. Instead of mistakes made at the speed of people as in 1929, the next crash will be made at the speed of a computer. The algos only do what they're programmed to do, and that is to reduce loss to a minimum when loss is detected and increase gain to a maximum whenever possible.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

over 5000 points in 15 days is nothing to sneeze at. Me and the Mrs. are down 50K or more.
    I am guessing that this is a typo? 5000 points should be 500? If it was 5000 in 15 days we would have seen the start of a civil war.

In other news, the FED is giving everyone a heads up with the promise to raise interest rates in the very near future. Use that as a guide to move funds around.

I rather doubt we'll see any rate increases...events as they proceed in the coming turbulent times will likely make the Fed back off...

I am guessing that this is a typo? 5000 points should be 500? If it was 5000 in 15 days we would have seen the start of a civil war.

In other news, the FED is giving everyone a heads up with the promise to raise interest rates in the very near future. Use that as a guide to move funds around.
    Okay I guess I exaggerated, only 3000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast