Thread: Some questions for those who served in the military.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Some questions for those who served in the military.

I keep hearing about the ineptness of the Russian army and how they keep getting caught. I hear about their aircraft being shot down right and left and how the soldiers are deserting everywhere.
    Does any of this sound right? It's hard to imagine that a few days in, these guys are this demoralized and their equipment and tactics are this flawed. I've always heard how hard core and on point the Russian soldiers are.
    Are we being played by propaganda? It sure feels like it.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I don't know a thing about any of this, but if the MSM reported it, based on past performances, it's, more than likely, false.

They aren't called Fake News for nothing..
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I find a lot of the claims to be suspect. 800 APC's destroyed, 200 tanks ect..... But then again, some saying about 1 man defending his home is worth 10 attacking it. Hard to determine what the truth is, psychological warfare is normal in any war. I just wish Ukraine had some supply and ability for air to ground operations. A nice 4 mile convoy sitting just waiting to be turned into the basra highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I keep hearing about the ineptness of the Russian army and how they keep getting caught. I hear about their aircraft being shot down right and left and how the soldiers are deserting everywhere.
    Does any of this sound right? It's hard to imagine that a few days in, these guys are this demoralized and their equipment and tactics are this flawed. I've always heard how hard core and on point the Russian soldiers are.
    Russian army operates differently than the US does. We send our BEST TROOPS in the forefront and best tanks. We RUSH at warp speed to the city in order to take it. Look at the Thunder Run when the US Armored Divisions sped towards Baghdad during the Iraq War.

Russia does things differently. They use their soldiers as cannon fodder. They send their shittiest, worst soldiers and second tier equipment up front FIRST in order to wear down the opposition. They don't care about losses. It's a cultural thing. People forget that only western powers like the UK and America actually care about their soldiers. Many cultures (like Asia or the Middle East or Africa) do not put that high a price on human losses. It's just a culture thing.

Russia is moving slowly, but they are keeping their TOP TIER troops in reserve as well as their best weapons and equipment. They're setting up a series of Ammo and fuel depots along the highway to the Capital city of Ukraine. They're moving slowly INTENTIONALLY, because that's their SOP. They're basically building a HUGE forward operating area (with tons of food, fuel, medical supplies and ammo) within 15 miles of Kyiv. Any rocket attacks or APC assaults are just 'softening up' the enemy and trying to make them use up their resources (and will to fight).

I cringe when I see 'so called' American Generals on cable TV talking about how 'Russia is failing' because they've slowed down or that their soldiers suck. Now we cannot know WHAT Russia will do, but for Chrissakes! Didn't ANY of these fucking generals study Russia war tactics? They' using the yardstick of how AMERICA fights it's wars as a measure of success, rather than look at it through the prism of how Russia fights it's wars. Russia's generals still have the same doctrines as they did in the 1980s. they're an old school style of army.

Anyways, that's my opinion. Putin may prove me wrong and do something completely different, but this is how I see it based on what I've studied in the past

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    tank-monkey, agree with your analysis. You are unfortunately showing (rightfully) that our top military hasn't learned anything from the past, and as the saying goes...

We have sent hundreds if not thousands of manpads and antitank missiles to ukraine.... and few obviously russian pieces of armor have been shown destroyed. Part of the problem is both sides use much the same armor and air assets so far making it hard if not impossible to tell if it was a ukrainian or russian tank burned out, also russia has withheld items like the su44 (replacement for su25 frogfoot, their version of our A10 warthog) and other close air support weapon systems. The russian af flies helicopters more or less unhindered when ukraine is full of manpads like strella - an old manpad soviet design, to buk systems - also soviet, to stingers the marionette regime is providing. Apparently the russians are encircling the major cities and will cut off water and energy and wait them out rather than shell them into submission. Them rooskiis have also released the kadyrovsky or whatever the chech muj fighters are called into ukraine. But who knows how it's going to play out.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

And no Zielinski is talking about Tactical nukes. Uh, last I heard, Ukraine doesn't possess them. Or do they?

Nah, the Ghost of Kiev was 100% true....and those 95lb Instagram models holding AKs and Shotguns in their lavish home are true operators. Nope, no propaganda at all...that's racist!

One thing that I did not take into account MONTHS ago when the war started, was just how CORRUPT the entire procurement system was in Russia. The military is FUCKED. All of their generals were just POCKETING THE CASH when they were supposed to be upgrading or maintaining their military equipment. Russia is running out of armored vehicles that actually work. THIS is a shocker, since they have SO MANY in storage. But they don't run. They are running into problems with NOT enough planes and helicopters that are now DOWN for maintenance.

One reason I'm a little hopeful is that CHINA's military is the same for different reasons. They have a large impressive military, but there is just too much corruption among commie party officials SKIMMING from the coffers. I love how they have an aircraft carrier, but they don't have ANY JETS capable of launching or landing on them, so basically they're useless. They have advanced fighters, but they're all designed to be launched from land bases. I don't trust ANYTHING I hear about either the Russian or Chinese Military capabilities. So much of it is smoke and mirrors.

Which is a good thing I suppose.

It also sounds like they are running low on smart and dumb munitions. The talk now is about them buying ordnance from North Korea.

I would have thought that they would have stockpiled 100 years worth of artillery rounds.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

What appears to be happening to Russia will happen to us with Resident Joe in charge. He's using and giving away most of our strategic military stockpiles. If we get into a war, we'll run short of basic military materiel very quickly, and being led by woke leaders who have no idea how to make coherent decisions. He's doing his utmost to put us in a losing position.

If I had young children now, I'd advise them NOT to enlist at this time. All they'll be is fodder for a side being set up to lose.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars