Thread: Anybody have Meprolight sights?

swampdragon

Question Anybody have Meprolight sights?

I've been noticing a lot of people have Meprolight sights on their HK pistols

My pistol currently looks like this one:

But I'm thinking of getting these sights for it:

And it would end up looking like the middle pistol in this pic:

So I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with Meprolight sights?
    Are they any good?

I had Mepros on my Kimber, and they were good. Just as bright as any other night sights I've used.

That said, adjustable sights on a combat pistol are an abomination and hateful in the eyes of Cthulhu.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

I have a set of Mepro fixed sights on my Glock 23. They've served me well for over 10 years. It's about time to replace them, as they've started to get dim. But after 10years, it's normal to need to replace tritium sights. For most of their life they've been really bright.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    I had Mepros on my Kimber, and they were good. Just as bright as any other night sights I've used.

That said, adjustable sights on a combat pistol are an abomination and hateful in the eyes of Cthulhu.
    Yeah. It's kind of a trade-off.
    I've had fixed sights for years and never had a problem with durability.

However, adjustable sights would make shooting various loads more fun.

I have Mepros on my XD. Love them.

Scott
    Always Remember:
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
    (I don't know who to credit but I like the quote.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

I've got Mepros on my Kimber and Trijicons on my Glock.

Not a whole lot of difference, the Meps do seem bigger but they also appear to have some sort of lens on them whereas the Trijis seem slightly smaller but more focused. Brightness wise I honestly can't tell any difference.

The Meps work as advertised I don't have any problems to report.

I've also got some PTs I put on a CZ years ago, they are noticably dimmer. I don't think they're in business anymore and if they are they must go by a different name nowadays. Definitely stick with a good brand like the Meps or Trijis.
    Last edited by weevil; 07-21-2010 at 10:38 PM.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    I've got Mepros on my Kimber and Trijicons on my Glock.

Not a whole lot of difference, the Meps do seem bigger but they also appear to have some sort of lens on them whereas the Trijis seem slightly smaller but more focused. Brightness wise I honestly can't tell any difference.

The Meps work as advertised I don't have any problems to report.

I've also got some PTs I put on a CZ years ago, they are noticably dimmer. I don't think they're in business anymore and if they are they must go by a different name nowadays. Definitely stick with a good brand like the Meps or Trijis.
    I have a trijicon front sight right now.
    I have no problems with it.
    I am kinda just wanting something adjustable on the rear.

I must have had a bad set. Lasted me less than 3 years.
    Always had good luck with Trijicons.
    Independent Field tester/Research and Developement

"Better to die for something than live for nothing"
    MOLON LABE

swampdragon
    So does anybody have any suggestions as far as a durable "adjustable" rear sight?

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Does anybody besides Mepro and Trijicon make adjustable night sights???
    Last edited by weevil; 07-22-2010 at 08:18 PM.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Does anybody besides Mepro and Trijicon make adjustable night sights???
    Dunno?
    That's part of my question.
    I know LPA makes adjustable sights.

I have used meprolights before and thought they were fine. I have never done any tests per se to compare them to trijicon but I actually prefer the trijicons I own. I will say that the sight profile of the handgun you pictured showing what it would like seemed pretty high. Are you going to carry this thing?

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice View Post
    I have used meprolights before and thought they were fine. I have never done any tests per se to compare them to trijicon but I actually prefer the trijicons I own. I will say that the sight profile of the handgun you pictured showing what it would like seemed pretty high. Are you going to carry this thing?
    Yes. It would be carried in a Blackhawk holster like this:

There is plenty of room inside the holster for taller sights.

Yes, there certainly would be room in that particular holster for the sights in question. That rear sights just seems to be pretty large from the photo. I guess if you ended up not liking it, you can switch them back. I personally have never found much use for adjustable sights on most handguns and certainly not in one I would put in a drop rig. That is, of course, only my personal opinion and should not be construed to mean you can't do whatever you want with your stuff. Let us know how it works out.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice View Post
    Yes, there certainly would be room in that particular holster for the sights in question. That rear sights just seems to be pretty large from the photo. I guess if you ended up not liking it, you can switch them back. I personally have never found much use for adjustable sights on most handguns and certainly not in one I would put in a drop rig. That is, of course, only my personal opinion and should not be construed to mean you can't do whatever you want with your stuff. Let us know how it works out.
    The drop holster "does" take a beating when crawling around and such.
    That's why I was wondering just "how" durable the adjustable Meps actually are?

No real experience with the adj. ones but wayyyy too much experience with drop legs and such. It may work but I don't think I would want to gamble with it. I am sure those sight are going to be built as ruggedly as they can make them but the real question will be "Is it tough enough?". While my guess is that eventually under harsh circumstances it will fail, I guess you could say the same about just about anything. Can you pick them up and get them installed for a reasonable price? My vote is to test them out and do a review.

Also, I think you may run into some discomfort if you try and CC that. Will you possibly be doing that as well? I had a 1911 with large adj. sights that dug into my side pretty badly. Just something else to consider.