Thread: What's the best drop in AR trigger...your opinion?

What's the best drop in AR trigger...your opinion?

Looking for info on drop in AR triggers...single stage, double, pull, take up...etc.

What do you think is best and why?
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

Prefer a single stage trigger for the Ar platform.
    There's not much chance I'll be trying to hold quarter sized groups at 500+ meters with a direct impingement gas system.
    That's what the scoped bolt guns are for

First accurate Ar trigger I installed was a Jard with 2 lb. pull but it required assemble like the factory parts (not drop-in).
    Was on their site awhile back looking at the Fal trigger and it seems like they were making drop-in Ar triggers now. Be a good place to check.

Rise Armament has a drop-in unit with either a 2.5 or 3.5 lb. pull, also has the short reset like a Jard.
    Used theirs for both 5.56 and 7.62 Ar builds with no complaints so far,

Hope this helps

Very helpful Nobeard...many thanks!

Edited to add: The Rave 140 looks to be just what I'm looking for...any experience with that model?
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 03-18-2022 at 07:18 PM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I use Timney's in 3 of my ARs, don't have experience with any other, they're smooth and the let off is sharp, plus they are made about 8 miles from my house and i can drive over there. There used to be a deal where if you paid cash they would sell you a "demo" model with no taxes.

Mine are the early models and actually function better after a 1000 rnds and with 0 problems.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

Had to do some digging in the gun room - finally found the package
    It's the Rave 140 / 3.5 lb. pull that was used to build on a Bushmaster .308 lower receiver.

This one has sent less than 50 rnds. downrange, still trying to decide what finish to use on the barrel.
    There have been zero issues with the trigger so far and ones used in other builds have held up.

Did a quick check: AIM has it with the anti-walk pins for 129.99
    https://aimsurplus.com/rise-armament...nti-walk-pins/
    That's cheap at twice the price compared to other manufacturers.

Here's an important note on the Jard trigger.
    The selector will go to the 'Safe' position when the hammer is not cocked.
    It has to be switched to 'Fire' for the charging handle to be pulled all the way back.
    Not really an issue once you're aware of it and that 2 lb. trigger bump-fires like a mad motherfvcker

Sun is out and it's going to be a warm day (FINALLY!)
    Got some odds and ends to take care of, will post pics of the rifles later today.

Let us know what trigger you decide to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Looking for info on drop in AR triggers...single stage, double, pull, take up...etc.

What do you think is best and why?
    I have no basis to say which is best. But I will say that I really like the single stage Timney trigger. The clean break of which is like the breaking glass rod Jeff Cooper always talked about. A clean break and minimal travel. Easy to install. No issues or problems.

Thanks jet...that one's now on my list of possibilities...

If you get one, be sure to put blue loctite on the set screws that install from the top of the trigger assembly and check them from time to time. For 100% reliability, I used anti-walk hammer and trigger pins with my installation. I forget what brand of pins I used. Got them from MidwayUSA for about $15. The anti-walk pins are certainly not required, but I am a big believer in redundancy.