Thread: Anybody else hate replacing floors when they are fat and tired?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Anybody else hate replacing floors when they are fat and tired?

I'm installing a heated thermofilm in my puter room, just a strip of 14ft x3 ft to keep my feet warm especially sitting at puters. I tore up just enough of the planking to put cork underlayment down and then the thermofilm and when I tried putting the planking down it doesn't want to lock again again. Tried pounding it back in with a soft mallet, now It's all fucked up pieces from the front broke off because I had a brain fart 15 years ago and threw all the extra planking away, so I have no hitting piece to use......... I'm gonna have to put a new compete floor back in! Moving friggin everything after I get about 4 ft widths done. $new flooring is friggin crazy. It's a 19x 10 ft room, the cheapest vinyl tiles that lock into my heated bathroom floor so I don;t have to use a threshold are almost $600 for this room! I'm fat, tired, and I sweat. I don't remember using the muscles I did this past weekend, till I got major cramps everywhere.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

(pun intended)

I feel your pain, i installed one of those wood panel floors in the main house, little over 1100 sq.ft. Did it before i had my knee replaced so i was in pretty bad shape and a lot of pain. After 2 months of moving every piece of furniture in the house 20 times i got it done, most of the time sitting on my butt scooting around, and yea, those muscles you forgot you had get worked hard.

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    (pun intended)

I feel your pain, i installed one of those wood panel floors in the main house, little over 1100 sq.ft. Did it before i had my knee replaced so i was in pretty bad shape and a lot of pain. After 2 months of moving every piece of furniture in the house 20 times i got it done, most of the time sitting on my butt scooting around, and yea, those muscles you forgot you had get worked hard.
    HEHEHE What we are missing for emojis is a ROFC Rolling on the floor crying.....

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Can't really understand what you all are talking about. Your heading says the floors are fat and tired. I really haven't seen any fat floors...I've seen soft floors and thin floors, but not fat floors.

As far as floors being tired, they've never told me to stop walking on them because they're tired of having to keep my feet off the bare ground and need to rest a little before they're back to being able to hold me up.

You must have some really interesting floors. We don't have any of those kinds around here.

Damn, I feel really left out of this conversation....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

Had to replace the floor in the entryway off the carport a couple years ago due to a leaking water heater. Several sheets of plywood and some floor joists were rotted so it was a project.
    Replace the original wood floor with the snap together panels from Lowe's and got several extra boxes for future reference. I made a tool with pieces of a 1/2" thick plastic or teflon cutting board from Walmart. Cut 3" wide strips on the table saw then milled a step 3/4" X 3/16" deep on the long side to catch the edge of the panel. Bolted on aluminum rods at a shallow angle (slightly above parallel to the floor) as handles to hit with a mallet. Used countersunk screw on the bottom that fit flush and wouldn't damage the foam liner that went between the plywood and panels. Trick is to lightly tap one handle then the other and get the tongue and groove to snap together.

I feel your pain, i installed one of those wood panel floors in the main house, little over 1100 sq.ft. Did it before i had my knee replaced
    Just wondering - maybe that's WHY you had to have the knee replaced?

yea, those muscles you forgot you had get worked hard.
    Turning 35 next month and we've got two boys...seems like I 'find' some of those forgotten muscles 3 or 4 times a week lately.
    Also understand now why Dad would cringe every time I put on roller-blades.
    Or, as Uncle Johnny would say: "There be sutures in yer future"

Last project like that I did, helped my next door neighbor paint his car. He had a late 70s VW diesel Rabbit that he'd done all the body work, masking on...wanted my help in painting it...good guy, good neighbor, helped me out many times...of course I said yes. In a previous life I worked in contract painting, painting metal was my specialty...air assisted, turbine, electro...can do it all.

On the day of painting he had a couple of air assisted guns and compressor set up...tried both guns and they spit and splattered like crazy...both needed new needles and caps...pulled out my turbine and gun for the job. Did a pretty damn good job of it too, though I could have used a finer needle/cap for the gun...a bit more texture than I would have liked, but it was all I had, and as mentioned, his guns were fubar.

Hadn't done that kind of work in years...the squatting, standing, squatting, standing...only took a couple of hours, and I felt fine, but the next day...shit...I could barely walk. I was in pain (diminishing over time) for the next three days...

Gettin' old is a bitch...and it's not for pussies.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAszapI0unE

I hear the first line in this song every time i pick up a garden shovel.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Actually, I'm glad I'm considered old. A lot of people in my HS class aren't able to say that now. And, I'm in good health and in fairly good shape, so I have no complaints.

Getting old is better than the alternative.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAszapI0unE

I hear the first line in this song every time i pick up a garden shovel.
    Right on the money. Wish I had some mothers helpers though.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Actually, I'm glad I'm considered old. A lot of people in my HS class aren't able to say that now. And, I'm in good health and in fairly good shape, so I have no complaints.

Getting old is better than the alternative.
    Not necessarily.... We're supposed to be pain free when we get to heaven.