Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Subsonic ammo that cycles in a AR15?

  1. #1
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,806

    Subsonic ammo that cycles in a AR15?

    Looking for a company that sells subsonic ammo to cycle in semi auto's including AR15's? I'm probably another 7 months away from a suppressor after waiting 6 months already, but I'd like to have some ammo without the crack.

  2. #2
    Senior Member raxar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Posts
    3,756
    It isn't so much about the ammo as how you have the gun set up, you need a pistol length gas system, not carbine or rifle length.
    "I didn't even expect him to come up here, thinking it was that sweet. Thinking it's that candy land like that," White said. "He wanted to pickpocket everybody. But people out here, they weren't going for none of that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Spambot
    We careered round and round for perhaps an hour, flying rather than floating, getting gradually more and more into the middle of the surge, and then nearer and nearer to its horrible inner edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCK ME AMADEUS
    Then Use the motherfucking PURPLE ....

  3. #3
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,806
    Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    It isn't so much about the ammo as how you have the gun set up, you need a pistol length gas system, not carbine or rifle length.
    I need it for rifles and machinegun(AR18) in .223 that will cycle and .308 rifles, surely there is someone that makes it?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    6,361
    One thing to note, most suppressor's will still have some amount of crack on the first round (even with subsonic ammo) but then be much quieter on all successive rounds...

    Hopefully you got one that can be used both wet and dry?

    Both Midway and Optics Planet generally stock a brand that would seem to meet your needs, though both are currently out of stock if you prefer to sign up on their waiting list:

    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019570122/

    https://www.opticsplanet.com/atomic-...p-50-pack.html

    This place currently has some, though about $10 a box more than Midway:

    https://www.surplusammo.com/products...50-rounds.html

    Edited to add...best to get in line when you find someone stocks it, grab it when you see it...it's expensive, it sucks, but it is what it is. I know from my searches for 5.7 subsonic as I also have a suppressor in the works...
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 04-19-2022 at 11:18 AM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

  5. #5
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    One thing to note, most suppressor's will still have some amount of crack on the first round (even with subsonic ammo) but then be much quieter on all successive rounds...

    Hopefully you got one that can be used both wet and dry?

    Both Midway and Optics Planet generally stock a brand that would seem to meet your needs, though both are currently out of stock if you prefer to sign up on their waiting list:

    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019570122/

    https://www.opticsplanet.com/atomic-...p-50-pack.html

    This place currently has some, though about $10 a box more than Midway:

    https://www.surplusammo.com/products...50-rounds.html

    Edited to add...best to get in line when you find someone stocks it, grab it when you see it...it's expensive, it sucks, but it is what it is. I know from my searches for 5.7 subsonic as I also have a suppressor in the works...
    Geez, everybody and their mother must be buying subsonic ammo for their suppressors. I don't really mind the price, just that I can't get any. Must be time to learn how to reload, as if I don't have enough projects on my list before I croak. I'm hearing the new efile only took 3 months, but when you're in the middle you would get f'ed if you switched from paper to efile. Took 6 months for an MG on a form4 and less for a form1 SBR, this is ridiculous 6 months already and they're only working on MAY 2020 range for my suppressor.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    6,361
    Yeah, I'm doing efile with a single shot trust...last I talked with the FFL where my suppressor is stored, BATFECES is currently green lighting efiles from January. An SBR is next up for me...no MG's though...have the will, just not the coin.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

  7. #7
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Yeah, I'm doing efile with a single shot trust...last I talked with the FFL where my suppressor is stored, BATFECES is currently green lighting efiles from January. An SBR is next up for me...no MG's though...have the will, just not the coin.
    Lucky dog. You'll probably be approved for your suppressor before I do! I started the paperwork through a well known company back in sept/oct...... MG (AR18) was back in 2005, I'd give my left nut to go back and buy a bunch more MG's back then. $5300 for one of about 400 transferables in the US. I built my SBR, a Yugo M92 "Krink" on a pristine parts kit not too long after I bought the AR18. Back when we could get nice kits cheap with the barrels. Built a bunch of semi auto AK's, a PSL back then and a belt fed M1919. We had a great BIY forum back in the day, to get started. OOPS getting way off topic, letting my brain wander and this is a non gun forum.......

  8. #8
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    14,087
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    OOPS getting way off topic, letting my brain wander and this is a non gun forum.......
    It's okay. If the Commucrats can say anyone can use whatever bathroom they identify with that day, who are we to say you can't use a non-firearms forum for talking about firearms?

    We are just as openminded, here, as any fluid-gender Commucrat....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

    "If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

  9. #9
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    6,361
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Lucky dog. You'll probably be approved for your suppressor before I do!
    Eh...I wouldn't be so sure. The place I did the trust with is still "reviewing" everything...the efile form hasn't even been submitted yet...at this point I'm hoping by the end of summer. The form 1 SBR, though it will be efiled...well, only question I have there is will I have the spare tax stamp funds before things begin to deteriorate to the levels we will see...given current trends...

    Otherwise I guess I just won't be able to build it!!!!
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

  10. #10
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,806
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    It's okay. If the Commucrats can say anyone can use whatever bathroom they identify with that day, who are we to say you can't use a non-firearms forum for talking about firearms?

    We are just as openminded, here, as any fluid-gender Commucrat....

  11. #11
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Eh...I wouldn't be so sure. The place I did the trust with is still "reviewing" everything...the efile form hasn't even been submitted yet...at this point I'm hoping by the end of summer. The form 1 SBR, though it will be efiled...well, only question I have there is will I have the spare tax stamp funds before things begin to deteriorate to the levels we will see...given current trends...

    Otherwise I guess I just won't be able to build it!!!!
    Funny. If it gets to that point I won't be giving a shit about what laws are what concerning firearms. Hey whatever happened to the guy that used to post a lot of nice sunshine in his posts mostly about muzzies?

  12. #12
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    6,361
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Funny. If it gets to that point I won't be giving a shit about what laws are what concerning firearms.
    I thought that was what I was suggesting?
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

  13. #13
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    6,361
    Sweet!!!

    Eform 4 filed today...with luck, 60-90 days from now I'll be able to bring my can home.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

  14. #14
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    6,698
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Looking for a company that sells subsonic ammo to cycle in semi auto's including AR15's? I'm probably another 7 months away from a suppressor after waiting 6 months already, but I'd like to have some ammo without the crack.
    I will opine here (just my two cents, don't have to listen to me)

    1) Why do subsonic on 5.56mm? That defeats the point. It's a super lightweight small bullet that's designed for high velocity. Knocking down the FPS negates the efficacy of the round. Now Spec Ops uses suppressors, but just to lower the sound, not knock it down completely. They will live with the supersonic 'crack' since it's tons better than hearing the full blast sound with no hearing protection.

    2) Why are most pros using things like M1911 variants or P220s or HK USPs in 45 with their suppressors? They're using a big slow moving round that's already subsonic and it does the job if you want REAL suppression of the sound 'report'. Even with the 9mms with subsonic, those are made purely because the suppressors are being used on systems that are already chambered for that round (like the MP5s, etc). But even a 9mm has more weight and mass than a 5.56mm bullet. Slowing down a super lightweight 5.56mm to subsonic speed not only limits your range a LOT but also your penetration ability.

    3) I'm sure others have said it, but you gotta use a different GAS system if you actually want it to CYCLE. Not just the round but the entire gun has to be modified.

    4) That's about it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member BISHOP's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,107
    I learned a long time ago to never ask a gun owner WHY he wants to do that thing or make that modification.
    I, also have made weird mods on my guns that make no sense.
    I also have 223 subsonic ammo. It takes the rifle and makes it as quiet as a silenced .22 with my suppressor. but it doesn't cycle the action.
    BUT. I also have a bolt blocker for my 10/22 that stops the bolt from working when shooting suppressed for added silence.


    BISHOP

  16. #16
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    6,361
    Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    I learned a long time ago to never ask a gun owner WHY he wants to do that thing or make that modification.

    BISHOP
    Agreed. While I take serious issue with Bubbafying any nice firearm, I have no problem with any owner making a modification that increases their enjoyment of making it go "BANG"...or "Phut", in this instance.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

  17. #17
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,806
    Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I will opine here (just my two cents, don't have to listen to me)

    Now Spec Ops uses suppressors, but just to lower the sound, not knock it down completely. They will live with the supersonic 'crack' since it's tons better than hearing the full blast sound with no hearing protection.
    Maury says that's a lie. He's seen movies where they all go phut phutphut phutphutphut........

  18. #18
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    6,698
    Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    I learned a long time ago to never ask a gun owner WHY he wants to do that thing or make that modification.
    BISHOP
    I'm asking because I"m CURIOUS if he wishes to explain any interesting or unexpected reasoning. That's why people ask questions. I never ask the "WHY" as in 'just mockery' of the subject. I legit was wondering the why (and then outlined why I would not) but I'm interested in any answers, if he chooses to offer them. Of course, it's up to him, but the reasoning is interesting. This is DIFFERENT than asking why a gun owner likes a certain style or chooses a certain color. Hope you can see that.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •