Thread: Looking for an Astra extractor

Looking for an Astra extractor

Somebody at a different forum noticed the extractor on my Astra Constable was missing. As I haven't been able to shoot this gun in several years (no range access), I had not noticed it being gone. The last time I did shoot it, it worked OK.
    I have not yet fired it to see if it still functions as the discovery was only last week.
    Do any of you know where I might find parts for a 45 y.o. Constable in .380?
    Do any of you know how to put an extractor in this pistol? I have tried to look up videos on Youtube but that got me nowhere.
    Your help and suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Also, if any of you know of a gunsmith in the St. Louis, MO, Metro area or that area of Illinois just east of St.Louis, please let me know of them as I may have even more work for them.

Thanks !
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Last edited by alismith; 04-25-2022 at 04:16 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Try Jack first gun parts.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

Here's the schematic from gun parts corp. but they're out of stock.

Direct link to the page for your pistol:
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...stra/constable

Looks like the plunger and spring for the extractor (#s 6 & 7) hold in the safety detent (#8).
    Is the safety loose or unusually easy to flip from one position to the other?
    May want to take a close look to see if they are still in the slide, with the extractor gone there's nothing to hold them in place.

Check back with gun parts on a regular basis, never know when they might get one in.
    Last edited by Nobeard; 04-26-2022 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks for the help!
    Ali - as Nobeard indicates, Gun Parts is out of stock and Sarco only showed parts for the 400.
    Nobeard - the "thumb safety" (#9) is slightly loose in that when in the upper (firing) position, it can move up and down about 1/8th of an inch. I don't remember if that should be tight at the top when up as it has been several years since I have fired it. It does however, still cause the hammer to drop when being put on "safe".
    Lightning - Jack's seems to have the extractor, extractor pin, and extractor spring (parts 5, 6, & 7 in Nobeard's schematic) in stock, but NOT the "safety detent" (#8). I don't know it that is needed at this time.
    Thanks again for your help.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post

Nobeard - the "thumb safety" (#9) is slightly loose in that when in the upper (firing) position, it can move up and down about 1/8th of an inch. I don't remember if that should be tight at the top when up as it has been several years since I have fired it. It does however, still cause the hammer to drop when being put on "safe".
    I'd say it should be tight to prevent wear and accidental engagement when shooting.
    Being slightly loose is normal at this point since there's no spring pressure on the detent to hold it securely in place...IF the detent is still there (continued below)

The thumb safety probably actuates the disconnector (#25) and this releases the sear (#32) to drop the hammer.
    The firing pin slot in the thumb safety narrows as it rotates to the 'safe' position, which prevents the hammer from striking it and setting off a chambered round.
    At least, that's is how it normally works on Beretta and Walther pistols with a slide mounted safety / decocker.

DISCLAIMER: I'm an amateur gunsmith and part time machinist - use caution, know your limitations and follow your instincts.

Lightning - Jack's seems to have the extractor, extractor pin, and extractor spring (parts 5, 6, & 7 in Nobeard's schematic) in stock, but NOT the "safety detent" (#8). I don't know it that is needed at this time.
    Ooohh! Potential missing parts?
    So we're into a possible need of Redneckery!?!
    [Redneckery = Country Boy Fabrication]

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Next step will be to figure out IF the detent is still there (continued, as promised)

From the schematic, the safety isn't visible on the right side of the slide (goes into a blind hole from the left) so here's what I would do:

Find a drill bit that's just slightly smaller than the hole in the slide for the extractor spring and pin.

Carefully insert the back of the drill bit into the hole (don't want the flutes to hang up or get caught on the narrow end of the detent that goes into the spring)

Note the depth to a fixed point on the outside of the slide, like the back of the ejection port.

Remove and use the fixed point to determine how close the drill bit gets to the approximate location of the safety drum (round part that goes into the slide)

If it's 1/4" or 5/16" away, the safety detent is probably still in the hole.

If it looks like the detent is gone?..Order the other parts, and prepare for 'Redneckery'

When the other parts come in, find a drill bit that the shank is very close to but slightly smaller than the outside diameter of part #6
    Get several - they should only be a few dollars each and this allows you to practice.

Use a dremel tool to round the end that goes against the safety, less likely to bind up.
    Most detens have a rounded surface like a ball bearing.

Next, put a slight step on the other end that goes into the spring.

In the schematic, #s 6 & 8 appear to be the same length, so that's a starting reference.
    May take several attempts to get it just right so use patience and 'sneak up on it' <--take off a little at a time.

Also remember that the length of the safety detent will set the tension of 'load' on the extractor spring.

If it's extremely hard to install, use the dremel to remove a little at a time from the rounded end - but it shouldn't be too easy to install either.

If you get intermittent failures to extract it might need to be a little longer to insure reliable operation.
    Getting an extra drill bit or three allow for practice and any additional attempts.
    It's amazing how small parts will disappear when dropped

Thanks again for your help.
    No sweat brother, that's why we're all here.
    Just remember to wear safety glasses and mind your fingers when using a dremel or grinder.

Great!!glad I could help!

Bad news Nobeard - the safety detent is gone too. And even Jacks doesn't have that part.
    I have taken it in to a local gunsmith, oddly enough, the son of a smith who did some work for me about 30 years ago. He removed the safety lever which is how we found the detent was gone too.
    The pit in the safety lever is a rounded depression but we didn't take the time to measure its diameter or depth. The smith did say we might have to "manufacture" a replacement so I'm betting he knows what you mean about the drill bit shank. I will pass that tip on however as this might be an easier alternative.

Thanks again.

ETA: I may have spoken too soon. I just checked Jacks again and found this - they call it a thumb safety plunger. They don't mention any dimensions so I don't know if this is the detent. It DOES have a shallow rounded bottom that might go into the safety lever. Here's a link to that part - what do you think?
    https://jackfirstinc.com/astra-const...=ASC&limit=100
    Last edited by JTHunter; 04-30-2022 at 05:13 PM.

'Thumb safety plunger' sounds correct and that's what it should look like.
    Rounded end is a detent to hold the safety in place and the narrowed end goes into the spring so it can't bend or go off center.

Buying a replacement would definitely be cheaper than having one fabricated and that's the route I would choose.

Your gunsmith probably has a Sherline Lathe or jeweler's lathe for making small parts.
    Like I said before - these have a bad habit of bouncing into the twilight zone when dropped, never to be seen again no matter how hard you look for them

Glad you found one. Let us know how it works out.

Success !!
    I still haven't fired the gun BUT it is back together and I picked it up today.
    Nobeard - the "plunger" was the same thing as the "detent" and there is no more wobble in the safety.
    Lightning - thanks for the tip on Jack First.
    They had all four parts while Gun Parts had none. Now I'm praying for dry weather as I have to test it outside.
    The thing that scares me is that this gun has been missing those parts for at least 11 years and I didn't know it. Somebody on another forum spotted the missing pieces and alerted me to that fact. So began the "hunt".

Thanks for all your help and suggestions !

Success !!
    I still haven't fired the gun BUT it is back together and I picked it up today.
    Sweet! Get us a range report on how it runs with the new parts.

Lightning - thanks for the tip on Jack First.
    Yep - BIG to Lightning 351.
    Jack First has been added to the resource list for parts.