Thread: Tasco rimfire scope question

Tasco rimfire scope question

I have a Tasco scope on a .22LR bolt action rifle and the "power ring" is very hard to turn. It is s 3-7 X 20 and, to turn the ring, I have to wrap the ring with a piece of towel and use a pair of pliers to turn it. The main tube is about 3/4" in outside diameter.
    I called CS at Tasco (Bushnell and others now) but she couldn't help other than to suggest I fill out the "repair form" and see if they have any suggestions. She didn't want to suggest any kind of lubrication for fear that it might get into the internals, the same fear I had as well. I don't know exactly how old the scope is but it might be as much as 30 years. I only shoot this rifle a couple of times a year but haven't for the last two. I haven't tried to adjust the power from 7x in years as I'm shooting varmints at 50 yds. + and I want to pinpoint them.
    Do any of you have any idea as to why this might be so hard to turn? BTW - the "fluting" on this ring is very fine serrations, maybe 1/32" from top to trough, so there isn't a lot of tread to grip.
    Any ideas of what I could use (or try) to lubricate this ring?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    See if there is a small screw in the ring. I have a similar Tasco that the screw appeared to create drag. I loosened it just a hair and it seemed to help. Don't know if it is supposed to be a drag screw, to make the ring easier or harder to turn, but it seemed to do just that.

I do have a Simmons that hadn't been used for a long time and I had to work the ring back and forth between 3 and 9 just get it loose enough to work nicely. Was very stiff when I bought it from a friend, and sitting on the couch for a while running it back and forth helped a ton.

There is a small, straight blade screw about 1/4" to the right (clockwise) of the 7x setting. I haven't had time to sit down and mess with it yet but when I took my Astra to a gunsmith the other day, I asked him about the scope as well. He thought 1-2 drops of a lightweight oil (sewing machine, air lube oil, etc.) might help free it up. I asked if a drop or 2 of isopropyl alcohol could be used instead as it would dry out and leave no residue. He agreed and suggested I try that first.
    I'm going to loosen or possibly remove that screw first and see what changes that makes. If there isn't any change even when fully removed, I'll try the IPA and then the oil. I'll put the IPA in that screw hole, then make sure none of it gets into the internals.
    Wish me luck !
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You might look up a parts diagram to make sure that fully removing that screw doesn't screw up the whole scope.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    You might look up a parts diagram to make sure that fully removing that screw doesn't screw up the whole scope.
    Thanks for the suggestion but there is no model number on this scope.
    What I did was to carefully loosen the screw, then try to turn the power ring, It was easier going from 7x to 5x but then bound up again. I put one drop of IPA in the screw hole, tried to turn it, then added 1 drop on the opposite side of the main tube and let it run down under the power ring. It started to get easier to turn so I kept using the rag and pliers and just kept going back & forth between 3 & 7x. After several times, it got easy enough to be able to do it by hand. When I got home, I put one drop of Hoppe's gun oil on the main tube above the screw and, after several more turns, a second drop on the opposite side. Then I put the gun in the rack so the oil could migrate down into the power ring. While still tight, I can at least turn if from 7x to 3x and back now with just my fingers.