Thread: So...CC and I are going to look at potentially our 2nd classic car buy...

So...CC and I are going to look at potentially our 2nd classic car buy...

Our Saturday excursion...

We bought one a bit over two years ago...we like to go to various art fairs, festivals, etc. in our region...we decided we wanted to do it in a bit of style...so a bit over two years ago we bought this car:

But then, the powers that be decided that no one should go anywhere and we were all slaves to the CDC, NIH, WHO...so we weren't quite able to enjoy it the way we hoped.

Don't matter...we still enjoy the hell out of it...drive it about in the good months in 'scancin'.

Goin' to look at something for Mama tomorrow...happy wife and all that...

Got our eye on a nice '66 Barracuda, a possible '74 Satellite, '74 Dart...and...a very nice '61 convertible Nash Metropolitan.

Not the Nash, Not the Nash, Not the Nash!!!! Means I have to teach the woman how to drive stick! Yikes!!!
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 04-29-2022 at 03:39 PM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Pretty car.

I've got a 74 VW Thing that I drive around locally. Since it has a stick, not many around here can drive it. Suits me.....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Wow that's really nice
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    74 or so Satellite Sebring was one of my favorites of the time. Just didn't have the money to pay for one as I had just gotten out of college and had a few debts to pay off.

So you have a Kaiser!!! NICE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    74 or so Satellite Sebring was one of my favorites of the time. Just didn't have the money to pay for one as I had just gotten out of college and had a few debts to pay off.

So you have a Kaiser!!! NICE!!!
    Betsy...

She's a most pretty thing.

Redone in the early '80s...garage/trailer queen since then, until the previous owner died...my guestimate is that the family put it up for sale and that's how it ended up at Country Classics...I've traced the lineage as best I could. It was an award winner at a KFOCI (owners club) meet in '84...have the quarterly with the entrants that year, and clear pics of this car...the color is rather unmistakable, also accurate for the year, though not the original color...shh...trunk...shhh...under the mat....shhhh...original color...shhhhhhh...not nearly as striking.

I've probably put 3 grand into her since bringing her home...all mechanicals...a vehicle should be driven, not parked to look at.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Pretty car.

I've got a 74 VW Thing that I drive around locally. Since it has a stick, not many around here can drive it. Suits me.....
    My dad had a Thing at one point...damn near the ugliest car I think I've ever seen. Given no one but us old folks even know how to drive stick any longer, and the inherent disgust for that VW design...you are definitely safe for the duration of SHTF...no one will try to steal that car!

My dream car...

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...avoy/101648842

Go ahead...disparage...my '62 Plymouth was the best car I ever had...wants a perfect (or near perfect) one....

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    My dad had a Thing at one point...damn near the ugliest car I think I've ever seen. Given no one but us old folks even know how to drive stick any longer, and the inherent disgust for that VW design...you are definitely safe for the duration of SHTF...no one will try to steal that car!
    I'd argue about the "beauty" as I like its looks. And, there aren't very many of them around. The good thing about it is that when you turn it off, it's off. Nothing is running in the background after it's turned off.

However, the gas mileage and HP really suck.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

WOW holy crap dude! you must be rolling in the dough. kudos! I'm partial to mopars, my dream car is of course the unobtainium Super Bird or Daytona. Next on my list would be a roadrunner 67-73, or superbee. Satellite is close and can be made into a wannabe road runner. EDIT: wow their prices aren't bad! 74 Javelin for 22K!
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 04-30-2022 at 11:31 AM.

I'm tempted to buy the Duster 340 tribute or the Mercury Cougar convertible!!!!! My wife likes purple, so I might convince her on the duster! WOW that Blue Dart would be awesome too!!!!!!! That place must be gigantic!
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 04-30-2022 at 12:05 PM.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

My dream car...

Go ahead...disparage...my '62 Plymouth was the best car I ever had...wants a perfect (or near perfect) one....

My brother had a '62 Fury......he loved that car. 318 with the push-button automatic. It was cool, we used to cruise Main in that car.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

A 1967 Buick Wildcat with a 430 CID V-8 and a 4-barrel carb.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

My dream car...

Keep dreaming you're Elon musk without the Zorg haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    WOW holy crap dude! you must be rolling in the dough. kudos! I'm partial to mopars, my dream car is of course the unobtainium Super Bird or Daytona. Next on my list would be a roadrunner 67-73, or superbee. Satellite is close and can be made into a wannabe road runner. EDIT: wow their prices aren't bad! 74 Javelin for 22K!
    We looked at and test drove both the Javelin and the Duster...CC is quite fond of pink...it was more pink than purple. Looked at two different Satellites, one with the RR package, and the Dart, along with numerous others. All of 'em needed more work than we were willing to do to get them up to snuff. The nice thing about the Kaiser was that it had already been restored, then basically garaged since, so the only work needed was some mechanicals.

Their prices are quite good...they wanted $13500 for Betsy and we talked 'em down to $12100.
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 05-01-2022 at 09:33 AM.

We looked at and test drove both the Javelin and the Duster...CC is quite fond of pink...it was more pink than purple. Looked at two different Satellites, one with the RR package, and the Dart, along with numerous others. All of 'em needed more work than we were willing to do to get them up to snuff. The nice thing about the Kaiser was that it had already been restored, then basically garaged since, so the only work needed was some mechanicals.

Their prices are quite good...they wanted $13500 for Betsy and we talked 'em down to $12100.
    Yeah everything looks better on the net doesn't it? LOL I have a problem with dark pink/purple distinguishing for some reason. What did the Dart and Duster need? Do you remember?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I love an old classic. Maple Motors in Hendersonville Tn have a 65 GTO convertible I want. I am also partial to Studebakers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Yeah everything looks better on the net doesn't it? LOL I have a problem with dark pink/purple distinguishing for some reason. What did the Dart and Duster need? Do you remember?
    Both would have needed new paint, some body work...Duster specifically...bunch of rust not evident in the pics. Frankly, the Dart would have needed a regulation hood...that scoop was window dressing, and it had the wrong heads on the engine, one was rubbing up against the steering column...CC and I had talked about that before we went to look. Both interiors would have needed work. My basic guesstimate, both would have needed at least 20 to 30k investment up front...probably more given today's bidenflation...just to get them into any kind of reliable shape to be considered anything other than distance viewing "Ooh I like that" looks. Rust here, blistering paint there, bad bondo work here and here. If I were in my 30s or 40s again and had the time, energy to do some of the work, source the parts, pay for what I couldn't do myself...maybe. Just not what we were looking for in a fun toy...but then of course...fun toys are rarely so cheap.

To really make them nice drivers and pleasantly pleasing, they would have needed a full restoration. Today's prices, likely in the 100k range...too much for a '74...worth it for something like a decent '69 Challenger with a 440 six pack.

The Javelin was being sold as an Alabama found barn rescue, all original, but the trunk lid and doors were a bit off kilter, suggesting there may have been an accident in its past, the outer paint too nice. The engine ran well, but was a mess (full rebuild needed) and the interior was obviously original and would have needed a complete redo...probably looking at somewhere between 40 to 70k to make it right...

Frankly, none of the engines or engine compartments looked as nice as Betsy's...only place I've seen any rust on Betsy was a small patch here or there underneath, mostly in corners of the frame. Didn't even try to get down and look under any of these.

The Nash was probably the closest to what we would have considered, but there was enough needed that I estimated at least another 7 to 10 grand...maybe less...plus it was a convertible...had one before (a Chrysler LeBaron) and we've mostly sworn off convertibles.
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 05-01-2022 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I love an old classic. Maple Motors in Hendersonville Tn have a 65 GTO convertible I want. I am also partial to Studebakers.
    They had a pair of Grand Turismos we looked at...both nice prospects if you wanted to invest in them. Back before we bought Betsy, I had an inspection company go look at what pics potentially showed as a solid late 50s Hawk...I was so hoping it would pan out. Three quarters of the way through the inspection the owner kicked the inspector out because of all the defects he'd found...best money I ever spent.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Our Saturday excursion...

We bought one a bit over two years ago...we like to go to various art fairs, festivals, etc. in our region...we decided we wanted to do it in a bit of style...so a bit over two years ago we bought this car:

But then, the powers that be decided that no one should go anywhere and we were all slaves to the CDC, NIH, WHO...so we weren't quite able to enjoy it the way we hoped.

Don't matter...we still enjoy the hell out of it...drive it about in the good months in 'scancin'.

Goin' to look at something for Mama tomorrow...happy wife and all that...

Got our eye on a nice '66 Barracuda, a possible '74 Satellite, '74 Dart...and...a very nice '61 convertible Nash Metropolitan.

Not the Nash, Not the Nash, Not the Nash!!!! Means I have to teach the woman how to drive stick! Yikes!!!
    Me and my dad had 3 of those. Interesting cars;they had MG 900 cc engines with a one barrel carb.

That would be the worst car to teach someone how to drive a stick, they a had "3 on the tree" shifter that was a total POS, we called them mystery shifters cause you had to search for the gear you wanted.

The car had potential, i've seen a few at car shows with big block blown chevy motors

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paddyspig/48185993097/

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Me and my dad had 3 of those. Interesting cars;they had MG 900 cc engines with a one barrel carb.

That would be the worst car to teach someone how to drive a stick, they a had "3 on the tree" shifter that was a total POS, we called them mystery shifters cause you had to search for the gear you wanted.
    Yeah, definitely not the car to teach CC how to drive stick on then...lol!

My '62 Plymouth was a rust bucket, slant 6, 3 on the tree...but God I loved that car!