Thread: Buying a short barreled upper for AR15? rules? regs? ATF

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Buying a short barreled upper for AR15? rules? regs? ATF

Okay with the ATF running rampant, what is the procedure to buy a shortbarreled upper for an AR15? Do I need to register one of the lowers as a shortbarreled rifle? Once I get the stamp then I buy the SB upper? Does the short barreled upper always have to be "mated" with the registered lower? It can't be used on another ar lower I own? Is it constructive possession if you own more than one AR lower with a short barreled upper?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    If you have a lower that was "registered" as a pistol, you can always mount it on that. You now have a pistol and not the intent to make a short barrel rifle. ATF in their infinite ruining of the constitution allows the ownership of both correct length and short length as long as you have a pistol lower that it fits on.

The best explanation is the Beretta Neos pistol that has a carbine kit available for it. As long as you remove the "short" pistol barrel and install the 16 inch carbine barrel on the receiver before installing the butt stock, ATF says it is ok to have that combination. They even sent a letter with the kit to explain how to make the conversion legally in both directions so as not to cause your dog to worry about getting murdered by an ATF agent.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    If you have a lower that was "registered" as a pistol, you can always mount it on that. You now have a pistol and not the intent to make a short barrel rifle. ATF in their infinite ruining of the constitution allows the ownership of both correct length and short length as long as you have a pistol lower that it fits on.

The best explanation is the Beretta Neos pistol that has a carbine kit available for it. As long as you remove the "short" pistol barrel and install the 16 inch carbine barrel on the receiver before installing the butt stock, ATF says it is ok to have that combination. They even sent a letter with the kit to explain how to make the conversion legally in both directions so as not to cause your dog to worry about getting murdered by an ATF agent.
    Interesting. Pistol lower is fine. But what about owning rifle lowers, how does the ATF view that? Any way they want? I mean seriously this shit is fucked up. You can swap the SB upper in 20 seconds to a rifle lower. They have to be dancing for anyone to own a short upper and rifle lower........ I'm confused. I'm sure they will reverse that letter whenever they feel like. So confusing and conflicting.

I had to look this up my friend. How crazy is this shit. If you have 1 rifle upper for each lower and 1 registered SBR lower OR PISTOL lower you'll be fine with a short barrel upper. But if you had 2 short barrel uppers and only one PISTOL lower or SBR lower you could go to jail. How easy would it be for the ATF to disappear one of your full length uppers if you only had one PISTOL lower or SBR registered lower and 2 short uppers?
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/s...ers/17-249605/ Interesting conversation there. I think me needs to buy a few pistol lowers, then a short upper then register a SBR lower. this crap is insane, how we worry about our family pets.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 04-30-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Crazy isn't it?!?! As I like to say, too bad we don't have a law granting the people the right to keep and bear arms that wasn't infringed.

I am now 51 and have worried about that for a few years.
    THEN one day I realized that I don't have weekly ATF meetings at my house.
    I realized that what I do is basically none of anyone's business. I'm not breaking any laws, not on any watchlists, and the police aren't knocking on my door all the time.
    I have an AR15 SBR and I have 2 AR pistols, but I also have regular ARs and a few virgin lowers.

I also have a an UZI I built as a pistol. BUT I also have a stock and a longer barrel for it. I can swap it from pistol to rifle at my will. Do I "stock" the pistol? Nope, that would be an illegal SBR. The normal gun owners keep it legal.

In the long run it really doesn't matter. It's just something they use against you when you DO commit a crime.

BISHOP

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    I am now 51 and have worried about that for a few years.
    THEN one day I realized that I don't have weekly ATF meetings at my house.
    I realized that what I do is basically none of anyone's business. I'm not breaking any laws, not on any watchlists, and the police aren't knocking on my door all the time.
    I have an AR15 SBR and I have 2 AR pistols, but I also have regular ARs and a few virgin lowers.

I also have a an UZI I built as a pistol. BUT I also have a stock and a longer barrel for it. I can swap it from pistol to rifle at my will. Do I "stock" the pistol? Nope, that would be an illegal SBR. The normal gun owners keep it legal.

In the long run it really doesn't matter. It's just something they use against you when you DO commit a crime.

BISHOP
    Well I'm not sure about that, they have a history of manufacturing crimes also. You are on a list, you have a SBR and any weapons you bought through a 4473 so I'd have to argue with you there, If anyone thinks the ATF isn't keeping illegal lists of gunowners they're naive on that part. I hear what you are saying though, you trust the gov't to some degree. Thanks Bishop for the input.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 05-08-2022 at 10:57 AM.