Thread: Tabletop drill press for trunnion tapping?

Tabletop drill press for trunnion tapping?

Right, so shame on me, I've had my SBR stamps for almost 3 months and still haven't done a thing to them. Amazing what buying a new home and the umpteen million projects that involves can do to a guy's "pet" projects. So here I am trying to plan this out.

Now, I want to drill and tap the rear trunnion on my two Dracos and I want to do it right. I've been told that the best way is to use a tabletop drill press. Fine, great, I want to buy one.

My question is, dumb as it may be, howinthehell do you do it? I'm looking at buying one and mounting it on my Workmate, but still cant figure out how I'm going to get the butt end of an AK up to the press to drill.

Anyone care to explain how to me? Looking at something like this:

Option B is to get a cheapo drill guide.
    Because you suck. And I hate you.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Option A-2 would be to buy a full size drill press.... Due to the length of the AK, a drill guide would probably be easier to make work.

Still don't see how'd you'd clamp an AK even to the full-sized floor models. Am I just being dense? With the tabletop model, if I could rotate the head 45 degrees left or right, I could drill the AK while using the Workmate to clamp it into position.

Proud member of GeorgiaCarry.org, Ohio CCW, and the Second Amendment Foundation. Ex-NRA member.

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." - Thomas Paine

Brutus was a prophet.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

You are looking for a drill press vice or a milling vice - for example: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G11

Depends on how much you want to spend - but this one will do the trick.

A mill vice will allow you to move an object on two axis while the vice remains clamped onto the press plate.

I second the floor press - if you have the cash.

Now, having said all of that - if you are just drilling and tapping - then really if you use a punch to precisely place a dimple to locate the drilling, then that may be precise enough... but if you are trying to drill through and through and exit at a location on the oposite side, then you need more precision...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

im having trouble understanding why you think the drill press wont work.

if you are just looking to use it for tapping, heres the tool for that. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGIQ8wIwAA# granted, you could prob get the drill press for that much or less, but you can prob find that for around $80 if you shop around.

so, am i right in assuming.... you have 2 pistol ak's your looking to install a butstock on, and you want to remove the current rear trunnions (which shouldnt involve this post) and then install the butts, but drilling the appropriate new rear trunnion holes and tapping the holes in the new rear trunnions for screws tht you will use to install them. am i on the right track here?

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

Just drill and tap some holes on the back plate and mount an ACE stock block to it.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Just drill and tap some holes on the back plate and mount an ACE stock block to it.
    That's what I'm doing, just using the folding mech, however.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    im having trouble understanding why you think the drill press wont work.

if you are just looking to use it for tapping, heres the tool for that. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGIQ8wIwAA# granted, you could prob get the drill press for that much or less, but you can prob find that for around $80 if you shop around.
    Ok, I'll definitely be looking for it. Any ideas on where to look other than places like Sears, HD, etc?

I guess what I'm having the problem visualizing is how the rear trunnion of the AK is A) Going to line up with the chuck and B) be secured doing it.

Same thing goes for the hand tapper, actually.

so, am i right in assuming.... you have 2 pistol ak's your looking to install a butstock on, and you want to remove the current rear trunnions (which shouldnt involve this post) and then install the butts, but drilling the appropriate new rear trunnion holes and tapping the holes in the new rear trunnions for screws tht you will use to install them. am i on the right track here?
    No, just drilling and tapping the extant rear trunnion for a direct bolt on.

Brutus was a prophet.

ok, got ya'

your trying to tap the BACK of the trunnion, thats why you cant fit it. makes sense now.

gotta get ready for work now. ill fill you in in a few minutes after i get there.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Don't rush yourself either, I can't access GNS at the office, and it'll be another 10 hours before I get home.

Brutus was a prophet.

not a problem, im on the clock and it will be at least another 2 hrs before any boss gets here

first off, make sure the table will tilt this way:

a full 90 degrees. (these are just quick google image searches, that one actually looks like it might be a compound tilt, but im hoping you get the general idea)

some of the cheapest ones wont tilt, and others still wont go to a full 90 degrees.

also, make sure that the table will swing around the press. although ive never seen a round colum drill press that didnt.

now, bolt the drill press BACKWARDS on the edge of your workbench. so thatr the rear edge of the base is on the bench edge, and the machine is facing away from you. now, the head should be able to be loosend from the round colum. loosen it and spin it around so that it is now facing you. now rotate the table to 90 deg, so the work surface is verticle. now you can clamp the ak to the table with teh rear up, you should hacve plenty of room under the chuck as long as your workbench is higher thatr a few inches. all youll have to do is loosen the clamps to adjust the rifle in and out, and swing the table to go side to side to allign all of the holes.

did you follow all that? if i was unclear on anything, just lmk, and i can do it on my drill press later to show you better. (it the table tilts, i have a small one in my basement, but i dont use it since i have a floor model in the shop)

Yes it does rotate like that.

Oooooh, I see!

Thanks!

Brutus was a prophet.

The only difference I see in a bench press and a floor version is the pipe that the head and base attach to. I am thinking about buying a length of pipe to convert mine to a floor version.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

That should work but you'll want to increase the size of the base and weight it to keep the rig stable.

The other thing is to look around for used presses - there are some good deals if you look around. If treated decently, these will last for generations.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    That should work but you'll want to increase the size of the base and weight it to keep the rig stable.

The other thing is to look around for used presses - there are some good deals if you look around. If treated decently, these will last for generations.
    Adding weigh to the base is not a problem.
    I have a Clark press, and it's given me great service for 6 yrs. now.
    I think I'll stick with it for now.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL