Thread: Remove stuck PVC pipe from sump pump? suggestions?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Remove stuck PVC pipe from sump pump? suggestions?

For the second time in 27 years my laundry/basement sump pump has failed. Almost all the bolts broke taking off the cover, but that's an issue for another day. I cannot get the discharge pipe off the old sump pump. Ive tried a pipe wrench on the pipe flange, no such luck. Should I apply some heat to the metal part of the pump where the pipe connects? Every 15 minute job turns in a two day nightmare especially with a bad back. I have no idea why the original plumber of my house used a plain round flange instead of one you can grip with pliers.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 06-12-2022 at 08:06 AM.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I used to use PB Blaster rust remover on old rusted roof drain bolts and hot asphalt pipe connections. Spray it on let it soak overnight, worked about half the time. I've also used Kroil for stuck breechplugs on my muzzleloaders.

The most fool proof way is to do what my wife says, "HIRE SOMEBODY"!!

Call the man Aunt Bee....CALL THE MAN!!!
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

Sounds like there's a threaded PVC fitting screwed into the metal pump outlet then glued onto the discharge pipe.

Without seeing it (pics please) would it be possible to cut the outlet pipe and get the pump out?
    Maybe leave enough to use a coupler sleeve and glue it back together when the new pump is installed.

Check the local hardware store for PVC connector called a union.
    These are available in a variety of design combinations: male threads, female threads and glue together.
    Some of threads on one end (male or female) and the other end glues onto the pipe.

Picture of one that would thread into the pump then glue to the outlet pipe

For an exercise in good ol' fashioned Redneckery:
    If there's not enough room to splice the pump with a coupler and you can't find the right union?
    Go to your local parts store and get a piece of radiator hose that the PVC pipe will go inside with a snug fit.
    Slide it over the discharge pipe, set the pump in place with a short piece screwed on the outlet then slide the hose back to connect outlet pipe to pump.
    It's not going to hold pressure like a water pipe so that should work
    Get the widest hose clamps you can find and remember to put them on the hose before setting the pump in place.

Also: for PVC to metal fittings, don't use Teflon tape. Get a can of Teflon paste that has a brush attached to the screw off lid.
    That will seal better and last longer than the tape - just don't over tighten.

Hope this helps

I busted out the old one and had a new one made and threaded at home depot , I went with a metal pipe and not PVC this time.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

The pipe ended up breaking inside the pump, I must have used cement instead of teflon tape last time I replaced this or the ABS got brittle, It didn't have a tradition flange where you can just use pliers on a hex shaped flange, it was flat from my builders plumber 27 or so years ago. So I cut off a couple more inches, went to the hardware store. Picked up a hex flanged PVC 1 1/2 inch threaded piece, and a coupler and a 12 inch section of PVC pipe. Cut the estimated somewhat measured pvc pipe to make up for the section of ABS I cut off, primed and cemented the flange part to the pipe, then primed and cemented one end to the coupler. WOOHOO, I'm a plumber once again now! Then I prime and cement the other end of the coupler to the rest of the original ABS pipe with the cover........ About 30 seconds after it hardens.......... I PUT IT ON THE WRONG END of the existing pipe work. Mine goes from 1 1/2 to 2", back to 1 1/2 where the cover is in the middle so there's no way to take the cover off and reverse it, cause the couplers from 1 1/2 to 2" have big flanges on them. So I cut my newly attached thought I was done assembly off, go back to the hardware store and Do a do over adding more pipe this time and putting it on the right end! Now I'm waiting for a second pump, since there was no mention in the amazon ad that the pump I bought was not for grey water/laundry water or water filters. Found that out when i read the directions. WHAT A COMPLETE NIGHTMARE THIS HAS BEEN. Luckily I was smart enough enough to buy a portable pump so we could run one load of wash, then pump out the sump pit up through the basement window and over the deck. At least we caught the bad pump before there was an inch of water in our basement last time. But now I have to drill new holes to secure the cover. Did you guys know steel bolts rust after 27 years? HEHEHEHEE Story of my life, 15 minute job turns into a 8 day job.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 06-13-2022 at 10:07 PM.