Thread: Interesting Video on WHY Russia can't win a war (at least easily)

Interesting Video on WHY Russia can't win a war (at least easily)

Don't know if you guys follow "Task & Purpose" Youtube channel, but he outlined something that I never considered. This changes my perception on the efficacy of Russia's military, at least in the 'boots on the ground' phase. They're still a threat because of submarines, Nukes, Bombers, etc. but their systemic corruption is DESTROYING their own military.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

The American public is losing confidence in our own military a recent poll. The wussification of ours will lead to our downfall, the pathetic leaders like General milli vanilli, the leadership has to go woke, adhere to communists above them or be dismissed, proven sailors, soldiers, pilots who love this country are being rooted out, those who won't be vaxxed are being thrown out. The time is ripe with POS president and a congress and Senate full of leftist traitors for countries like China to make their move.

They may not have the means to easily take what they want insofar as land warfare in ukraine, but their strategic arms and delivery systems seem to be effective, and that alone is what concerns me. I feel their new armata mbt/ifv series is likely just as susceptible to current western atgms as the t80s/90s now having their turrets popped as a matter of routine - corruption systemic to their military and industrial complex is irrelevant here as physics determines the end result of russian armor. In the end, I feel it much more likely that mafia took over russia in '92 than oligarchy, a mafia with nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them worldwide.
    Last edited by 5.56NATO; 07-06-2022 at 03:46 PM.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

It's been slightly less than four months since this war started and Russia now controls all of the Donbas region, which was their goal...seems reasonably efficient to me.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Don't know if you guys follow "Task & Purpose" Youtube channel, but he outlined something that I never considered. This changes my perception on the efficacy of Russia's military, at least in the 'boots on the ground' phase. They're still a threat because of submarines, Nukes, Bombers, etc. but their systemic corruption is DESTROYING their own military.

Reminds of parts of the movie Lord of War where cage's uncle is selling off his bases Ak's and Helicopters to him. Good movie with lots of BS with a hint of realism.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    It's been slightly less than four months since this war started and Russia now controls all of the Donbas region, which was their goal...seems reasonably efficient to me.
    Um. Not quite. Russia suffered WAY MORE casualties than was predicted by nearly everyone. They held back a lot of 'front line' armored units because those units were not combat ready (aka lacking spare parts). They should have been able to overwhelm the Ukrainians if they were the 'Red Army' of old, but they're not. Sure they have a much larger military, but despite their victories, it's been haphazard and at a great cost. Remember that they're not limited by 'rules of engagement'. They can commit total war, whereas the USA has been hamstrung by some very limiting ROE for 70 years. I'm convinced that Russia cannot survive against a near peer enemy in just a ground and conventional warfare conflict. The only thing keeping them powerful is their nukes and subs. That's pretty much it (in my opinion, which has changed in the last four months).

Um. Not quite. Russia suffered WAY MORE casualties than was predicted by nearly everyone. They held back a lot of 'front line' armored units because those units were not combat ready (aka lacking spare parts). They should have been able to overwhelm the Ukrainians if they were the 'Red Army' of old, but they're not. Sure they have a much larger military, but despite their victories, it's been haphazard and at a great cost. Remember that they're not limited by 'rules of engagement'. They can commit total war, whereas the USA has been hamstrung by some very limiting ROE for 70 years. I'm convinced that Russia cannot survive against a near peer enemy in just a ground and conventional warfare conflict. The only thing keeping them powerful is their nukes and subs. That's pretty much it (in my opinion, which has changed in the last four months).
    This is in part because their objective was to only take back the Donbas region, not to conquer Ukraine in toto.

When the US invaded Iraq, we bombed the bejeebers out of every military and infrastructure portion of their country. We took out their power, water, civilian gov't in cities of any size, along with every military target identified...before the ground troops went in, the objective being to occupy the entire country. Additionally, we didn't have a country like Russia or China aiding and abetting Iraq, sending them money and weapons galore to fight back, with boots on the ground in training and logistics. Iraq also didn't have Russia or China with their tentacles wrapped up in Iraqi government the way the neocons were wrapped in Ukraine's affairs for a decade before the invasion...there was no Biden criminal family from Russia or China playing in Iraq's backyard for a decade or more prior to our invasion...indeed, since GWI we had them pretty well hemmed in.

Russia could have done the same...all out bombing/missile blitz before sending in the ground and pound, but their objectives were different. They didn't want to conquer and occupy all of Ukraine, just the Donbas, which they've now done. Their next objective is to make sure Ukraine has no ability to mount a counter offensive to take back those Donbas regions.

Were there clumsy errors in their propagation...absolutely! But remember, their last real war was in Afghanistan, and once again they had the US aiding, training and supplying the Mujahedeen against them. All we had against us in Iraq was the inept Iraqi military.

Oh, and how did that whole Afghani thing work out for us, even without Russia or China giving material, financial and logistical support to the opposition?

And if you want to talk about corruption in a military system, we should discuss where all those trillions spent in Iraq and Afghaniland really went.
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 07-08-2022 at 10:04 AM. Reason: q
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

And if you want to talk about corruption in a military system, we should discuss where all those trillions spent in Iraq and Afghaniland really went.
    I'm pretty sure they didn't go to lower level officers in our military. They were payoffs to corrupt GOVERNMENT officials in those countries and to companies that were friendly to the SWAMP in D.C. That kind of corruption has been around forever. At least we're not bribing generals and colonels in the field, and THANK GOD at least our soldiers aren't going to war with cardboard armor...

I'm convinced old vlad is trying to take part of ukraine without resorting to the soviet method. The "soviet method", lauded as "russian operational art" by western observers, is where they simply pile troops into the feba (forward edge of battle area) and keep piling troops regardless of losses until the enemy is overcome by attrition alone. Marshal Zhukov of ww2 fame was master at this "art". Might explain why the german army took 1 causality for every 11 of the russians. We should expect the russians to do anything to keep US abm systems from getting any closer to placing russian icbm boost phase in range of said abm systems, wich is exactly where youd want to take out icbms - in their boost phase and on their own territory because nothing in an icbm is safe for kids.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

I'm pretty sure they didn't go to lower level officers in our military. They were payoffs to corrupt GOVERNMENT officials in those countries and to companies that were friendly to the SWAMP in D.C. That kind of corruption has been around forever. At least we're not bribing generals and colonels in the field, and THANK GOD at least our soldiers aren't going to war with cardboard armor...
    So...you're saying...one form of corruption is better than another?

So...you're saying...one form of corruption is better than another?
    LOL. Stop sounding like a Democrat. Both are bad, but to have systemic graft throughout the lower ranks would DESTROY the cohesiveness of our military. At least the corruption is outside of the men & women who serve (for the most part). It's NOT the same thing. Hunter Biden being corrupt is bad, but I would have THAT over not being able to trust ANY American Military officer... right?

We talkin' the new woke military...general milli vanilli...forced expulsion for refusing the death vax...equity, inclusion, CRT indoctrination...forced expulsion for being white, patriotic, conservative...whites not welcome in new recruiting...that military? And perhaps you believe the upper echelons are not making bank on these changes?

I may have some beachfront property in AZ available, if you're interested.

You don't think all this came about in a vacuum do you...just in the last year and a half? There was a long range plan that has culminated with this. Now it's in the open.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

We talkin' the new woke military...general milli vanilli...forced expulsion for refusing the death vax...equity, inclusion, CRT indoctrination...forced expulsion for being white, patriotic, conservative...whites not welcome in new recruiting...that military? And perhaps you believe the upper echelons are not making bank on these changes?

You don't think all this came about in a vacuum do you...just in the last year and a half? There was a long range plan that has culminated with this. Now it's in the open.
    All they were waiting for was the right idiot to come along who would implement all those long range plans without thinking anything about it. obama was too smart to be led around, then along came Idiot Joe....the perfect puppet who is too mentally deficient to realize he's being led around by the nose. Resident Joe is only too happy to destroy America and Cackles Harris doesn't even know how to form a complete sentence on her own, so she's perfect for his replacement if that becomes necessary.

Also, don't forget that these two are the best the Commucrat Party can do. They have no one else to fall back on that the people would put up with. (They're barely putting up with these two morons as it is.)
    Last edited by alismith; 07-08-2022 at 06:47 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

It's amusing...commie, republic, democracy...and yet people don't realize they're all oligarchies....

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Not only that, but they are terminating their pay and benefits.

Proof right here:

https://www.westernjournal.com/army-...0d7e2da3bc2b28
    Last edited by alismith; 07-08-2022 at 09:37 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

You're arguing a different POINT than what I was talking about. I don't disagree that our military has serious problems. Don't have to be a dick about it.

You're arguing a different POINT than what I was talking about. I don't disagree that our military has serious problems. Don't have to be a dick about it.
    Missed the smilie eh?