Thread: Maryland Governor Ends State’s Tough Handgun Permitting Regime

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Maryland Governor Ends State’s Tough Handgun Permitting Regime

After today, it's all historical.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I'm going to visit the State Police and get an application for a CCW and see what all the requirements will be. I know I'll have to take a Wear and Carry class, get a background check, and be fingerprinted, but that's not a big deal. I was fingerprinted when I worked for a police department in the 70's, as a public school teacher, and when I took my FL CCW class. I've been a Maryland Hunter Safety instructor and have committed no crimes above two speeding tickets years ago.

We'll see how it goes.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I'm going to visit the State Police and get an application for a CCW and see what all the requirements will be.
    Hopefully they're not going to make it too much of a pain in the ass.
    Please let everyone know how difficult the process is along with fees and wait time.
    Also let us know what your daily carry will be.

So far, I've had to sign up for a "Wear and Carry" class that goes over safe gun handling, legal issues, and a live fire session.

It consists of two 8-hour sessions and costs $350. Can't wait to see what other costs arise as I progress through MD's hoops.

Gotta choose which handgun I'm going to take....either my S&W Model 60 with 2 speed loaders or my ATI .45 auto with multiple mags. Need to take them out and see which I shoot better.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

To continue with the saga, today, in an email, I received an approval letter from the handgun licensing board. My Maryland CCW Permit should be here in 5-7 days.

My brother and I took the same class and emailed our applications off on the same day. He's had his permit for 2 weeks now, but doesn't have a handgun he can carry. MD only allows a registered handgun to be carried. I have two to choose from; a .45 1911 or a 9mm. S&W 459.

The class was great. They have a computer generated situation program where you have to react to whatever someone on the screen is doing. The special gun puts the shots on the screen so you can see where you're shooting. Some situations require no shootings at all and some of them are really tricky as to when it is appropriate to shoot. (I got my guy...he was coming at me with a knife.)

I used my 1911 for the live fire part and scored 24 out of 25 hits on the target. The last shot was a flier. There were three sets of 3 bullets in one hole. We had to fire 5 shots each from distances of 3, 5, 7, 10, and 15 yards.

I'll let you know when I, finally, get the actual permit.

p.s.- When I get the actual permit, I'm going to send in my HQL (Handgun Qualification License) application and when I get that, I'll be able to buy a handgun that's on the MD Handgun Roster. I'm seriously thinking about getting a concealable revolver in .357 Mag.

Plus, I'm going to send in for a MD Handgun Collector's License. When I get that, I'll be able to buy more than one handgun a month, if I choose to do so.
    Last edited by alismith; 09-21-2022 at 07:40 PM.

Freedom isn't free.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Good deal Alismith, Glad you can legally protect yourself and family when out now.

Just got my official carry permit in the mail today. Yahoo!!!!

I'm legal.

Freedom isn't free.

Went back to the place where I took the Wear and Carry License (CCW) so the lady could fill out my application for a Handgun Qualification License (HQL) so I'll be able to purchase a handgun when it comes back. She said I should have that in about a week or less. Then, I'll be able to go into a gun store and purchase a handgun suitable for concealed carry (everything I, currently, have it too big for that).

Also, sent off my Maryland Gun Collectors application. When I get that, I'll be able to purchase more than one handgun at a time, and more than one handgun a month.

As of today, I've jumped through all the hoops MD requires for purchasing and carrying a handgun in the state.

Freedom isn't free.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    So glad I decided to live in Indiana. Want to buy a handgun, no problem as long as you pass the fed's 4473.

Want to carry it, no problem, no hoops to jump through also known now as Constitutional Carry. We can also get if we want a lifetime "License to carry Handgun" for a small fee if we desire to carry our right into other states.

Congrats alismith for jumping through all those hoops just to certify your right to keep and bear arms that "shall not be infringed".

Well, the really good thing was that our governor could have pulled a Hochul on us and made it so we couldn't carry anywhere.

He did make us a "Shall Issue" state now IF you jump through all the State Police hoops. And we can carry almost everywhere in the state.

Still, I'm happy. I never thought I'd see the day when I would be allowed to legally carry concealed weapon at all in MD.

The one thing that still sucks it that MD doesn't recognize any other state's CCW permits, and doesn't allow non-resident permits to be issued.

Freedom isn't free.

Filled out my application for my HQL license yesterday and received it today in an email. Supposed to take about a week and it only took about 20 hours.... Wow!

Now, I'm going to my gun store and buy a CCW pistol or revolver (whichever one I like better...leaning towards a small revolver in the .357 Mag range)later today.

This made my day already.

Freedom isn't free.

Here's everything one needs to know about Maryland's new CCW laws:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/res...#recRestricted

Freedom isn't free.