Thread: Anybody dealt with a crooked roofer?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Anybody dealt with a crooked roofer?

Roofer is trying to charge me twice for pole barn skylight, putting in for a copper wind vane we never had on the house and putting in for drip strip that was never replaced around the house? I'm disgusted and won't be a part of this fraud. I understand padding a little but frankly I'm not gonna be a party to this. Any roofers on here? I don't want to ruin this guys business, but I'm sick to death here. Dear ABBY what do I do?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Do you have a contract with him? If so, you don't have to pay for anything that's not included on it. If he's not sticking to the contract, then it's on him, not you.

If you don't have a contract, I have no clue how to solve this problem.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I'm a retired roofer with 40yrs time in the trade.

The friends i have who are still contracting have had to raise prices for the same reason everyone else is....when the govt. shovels shit on you, you pass it down. You first raise prices then cut wages....and some guys resort to shady business deals to stay afloat.

The skylight and wind vane are pretty straight forward, even on a completed roof, the metal drip edge is another story, the price for that could vary wildly depending on the roofs condition and logistics

We have a Registrar of Contractors in AZ that consumers can turn to for shady and shabby roofing contractors and they list all contractors who have had complaints filed
    Last edited by davepool; 08-06-2022 at 01:11 PM.

Depending on the amount, small claims court, if he doesn't show up you win, and I bet he doesn't show up.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Roofer is trying to charge me twice for pole barn skylight, putting in for a copper wind vane we never had on the house and putting in for drip strip that was never replaced around the house? I'm disgusted and won't be a part of this fraud. I understand padding a little but frankly I'm not gonna be a party to this. Any roofers on here? I don't want to ruin this guys business, but I'm sick to death here. Dear ABBY what do I do?
    Ask for an itemization of the additional charges, sometimes there are valid reasons for increases, an honest person will gladly show you and explain the costs (there should be a clause in the contract to cover unforeseen conditions) . If he doesn't, don't pay until he does and then negotiate a fair price.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Yeah we signed a contract. The new drip edge was $880, wasn't installed and the copper weather vane was $660, both paid by the insurance company. I had him retract those items. I'll be having the insurance company revalue the weather vane that was up there, wasn't copper it was black painted steel. Maybe $150 value. Contractor says they were oversights, but I'm sorry you can't mistake a bright gleaming copper weather vane for a black steel weather vane. As far as the pole barn skylight, it was included in the insurance print out, yet he listed it again separately on his invoice. In any case it's all taken care of, we still have the check for the weathervane, neither my wife or I had any intention of cashing it. Will be sending that and the $880 for the drip edge back to the insurance company. I believe I could keep the $880 as we own the house and it should've been replaced, but the 660 was out and out thievery.

Glad it worked out, sounds like it was an invoicing error

I used to do a lot of work for State Farm insurance and they were infamous for giving low adjustments. There were provisions for additional costs "upon discovery" of additional damages but the process would require you to stop work until the adjuster visited and inspected what was found. Generally not a good idea, people get pissed when you leave their house open to the weather. I would take photos and document the damage, show them to the home owner, provide an additional cost estimate and cross my fingers the insurance company would pay after i had completed the extra work. I eventually gave up doing insurance work because of this hassle...and i WAS tempted to sneak the additional costs in to the customer but this fuckin conscience kept me from doing it (damn that little voice in my head)