Thread: Anyone here catch, cook and eat MONSTER CATFISH?

Anyone here catch, cook and eat MONSTER CATFISH?

I've eaten 12-16 lb catfish, but I always wondered if ANYONE ever ate the huge ones (and I mean 200-300 lbs). Someone told me that they don't taste good when they're that old (aka huge) but I'd rather chance asking if anyone has fishing experience with large catfish.

Photo of a record breaking Texas catfish for illustration purposes. I've seen recent youtube videos of catfish in other countries that hit 300 lbs easy.

I'm guessing they didn't noodle that sombitch
    I've had my fair share of channel cat but only a few pounds each
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Well apparently the ITALIANS like catching and eating monster catfish

I was mistaken. All of the huge catfish in pics are catch and release. My question is WHY? It's not like they're endangered, in fact in many parts of the world they're an invasive species. WTH? I'm thinking to myself "Just how much of the other fish and critters do these giants EAT on a daily basis?"

2015 Italian record - but he had to release it after catching.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

i've eaten part of one that weighed 45#. i didn't cook it, but it tasted alright. we used to catch yellow cats out of ponds. adults would make us throw them back. they said they weren't fit to eat. channel cat are good. i don't fish anymore.

Late on this thread but I've eaten them up to about 65#. Key is to get the red meat and yellow fat line out. Once you're dealing with white meat, soak it in something like salt or baking soda. I fish cats year round when I'm not on the bass.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Thanks! I've heard that you can get rid of the 'mud' taste in catfish if you prepare it right. I had catfish in a restaurant once and it was delicious. Just wondering if the 200 pounders are even worth eating though

I ran trotlines years ago. The big flatheads we used to catch didn't taste very good. We ate them anyway. The Channel's tasted much better. I wouldn't eat those old flatheads now unless I was really hungry. When those fish get that old I think they need released back to live out their lives.
    I'm betting most restaurant catfish are farm raised. Clean fresh water, consistent diets and all. Probably pretty tasty.