Thread: My Submission To The Maryland Senators

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

My Submission To The Maryland Senators

This is the message I sent to all of the Maryland Senators in Annapolis. It's very similar to the one I sent to the county commissioners a short while ago, but since I wasn't limited to 2,000 words, I was able to explain my position much better.

What they're trying to do is severely limit the places a CCW holder can carry (very similar to what NY state has done.)

Don't know if it will help any, but if I didn't do anything, then there's no chance of changing the outcome. As it stands now, with a Democrat Governor and the whole state government under democrat control the chances of my making much of an impact are probably negligible, but I had to try.

Dear Senator ,

I ask for your consideration to read my response to upcoming Senate Bill SB0001.

Firstly, there is really no need to implement this law as the only ones you would be targeting would be those people who would follow the law in the first place. I’m speaking of those people who have been vetted and certified by the Maryland State Police to possess a Maryland Handgun Permit (CCW permit).

Holders of this permit had to attend a 16 hour class with included Maryland Laws concerning the legalities and use of firearms in Maryland, firearm safety training, simulated situational drills, and a live-fire session where a certain score for proficiency had to be achieved. Any handgun carried under this permit must be registered by either the Federal Government, or through the MSP (Maryland State Police). Furthermore, each applicant had to submit their fingerprints to the MSP and had to have passed a comprehensive background check through the MSP before we were issued a Handgun Qualification License and a Handgun Permit. After completion of this process, a waiting period of 7 days is required between the purchase of a handgun and its possession. This requires another background check by the MSP.

Only after we passed all these requirements were we issued a Handgun Permit and that Handgun Permit must be carried on our person at all times while we are exercising our right to carry a firearm.
    So, those people who would follow the laws you are trying to pass are those who are law-abiding citizens and would be of no threat to anyone in those areas, anyway. Criminals, or those who are intent on causing harm, would disregard these laws. (A criminal is, by definition, one who would not follow the law, no matter what it says.)

Another aspect to consider are the legal responsibilities of what these laws imply. If you prohibit law-abiding citizens their right to defend themselves, and others, then you are obligated to provide that same protection for them. Should something happen to someone who has been approved by the MSP to carry a firearm, then you might be open to some form of litigation where the person affected, or their family members, might seek accountability and/or compensation for forbidding them their legally obtained right to protect themselves, while not providing that same protection for them.

Add to this the fact that you are proclaiming to all the citizens of Maryland that you have no faith that the Maryland State Police have done an adequate job effectively vetting all those they approved for possessing a Maryland Handgun Permit. You are calling into question their ability to adequately perform a thorough investigation of those they approved for this permit. You are, basically, stating you don’t trust the Maryland State Police to do their job.

If this law were not passed, then business will go on as usual. Nothing new will happen. Things will stay the same. But, by passing these laws, you are doing nothing more than giving criminals a distinct advantage over innocent people in the areas these laws would affect.

Thank-you.

Sincerely,
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice letter. Unfortunately when most people become politicians they check their brain at the door and don't seem to comprehend the problem is the people commonly known as criminals do not follow the law, so any new laws will also be ignored and nothing changes.

I had little hope of my letter changing anyone's mind, but I had to try. However, with a Commucrat-controlled General Assembly (both Houses) and a new Commucrat Governor, any common sense bill stands all but a microscopic chance of passing.

Of course, the Commucrats are attempting to go full-NY State on Maryland now.

Here's the anti-2A bill they're going to pass:
    https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2023RS/bills/sb/sb0001F.pdf

I have an idea our state gun owners groups are going to fight this in the courts, but, around here, with Commucrat judges, that, probably, won't make any difference.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

More on the anti-constitutional gun control law:

https://www.marylandmatters.org/2023...ms-possession/

The ginger standing behind the speaker at the podium is the asshole who sponsored this bill. Of course, he's from the Baltimore-Washington Corridor area (and the WOKEST county in the state) that ALWAYS backs the Commucrat Party and carries the rest of the state's votes.

Freedom isn't free.