Thread: Anyone here have experience selling on EBAY?

Anyone here have experience selling on EBAY?

Yeah, I know EBAY are a bunch of leftists but I got random junk in the garage I want to get rid of. Mostly things like old rifle scopes, slings, Military hats, coats, military cots, GP tents, Winter gloves, etc.

Also have OLD model kits, still sealed, rare vinyl records (those are making a comeback), vintage toys in mint condition, and odd ball items like mermite cans, canteens, Egyptian statues, Hellraiser Cubes, etc.

None of this stuff is banned in Commiefornia or the other blue states. I don't want to be a full time EBAY seller. I just want to get rid of some stuff that I know has some value.

Anyone sell on EBAY? Issues? Complaints? Warnings?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Good question, I'd like to know too.You can also use facebook market place if you use FB. My sister said she has used that. Local.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 06-04-2023 at 12:41 AM.

No recent experience, but years ago I purchased, in VHS, all the Tom Baker and 5th doctor (can't remember the actor's name at the moment) Doctor Who episodes that weren't already on dvd, and used a setup to rip them to dvdr. I then resold them them all on ebay, along with a dvdr backup from my conversion. Kept a spreadsheet of what I paid and price sold back...at the end of the day I spent $7 on the whole project, including the various fees...and there are many.

They get you coming, going and out the door.

First, there is a fee for listing the item, sliding scale based on amount you're listing it for. You set a higher price for it, ebay gets a larger fee for the listing. Set a reserve price, another fee. Set it at a penny starting bid, negligible initial fee, but you're locked into whatever the final bid is.

Next, they get you after the sale...they take a percentage of the final sale price. The more it goes for, the higher their cut.

Finally, it has to be paid for via paypal, and they take their fee...again, sliding scale based on the amount paid for the item.

Then there is shipping to be considered...do you build that in to the asking price (offer free shipping) or charge an extra amount for that?

It's possible to make some bucks with ebay, but you need to do some serious homework. Obviously thousands of folks have done the math, otherwise no one would be selling on ebay.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    No recent experience, but years ago I purchased, in VHS, all the Tom Baker and 5th doctor (can't remember the actor's name at the moment) Doctor Who episodes that weren't already on dvd, and used a setup to rip them to dvdr. I then resold them them all on ebay, along with a dvdr backup from my conversion. Kept a spreadsheet of what I paid and price sold back...at the end of the day I spent $7 on the whole project, including the various fees...and there are many.

They get you coming, going and out the door.

First, there is a fee for listing the item, sliding scale based on amount you're listing it for. You set a higher price for it, ebay gets a larger fee for the listing. Set a reserve price, another fee. Set it at a penny starting bid, negligible initial fee, but you're locked into whatever the final bid is.

Next, they get you after the sale...they take a percentage of the final sale price. The more it goes for, the higher their cut.

Finally, it has to be paid for via paypal, and they take their fee...again, sliding scale based on the amount paid for the item.

Then there is shipping to be considered...do you build that in to the asking price (offer free shipping) or charge an extra amount for that?

It's possible to make some bucks with ebay, but you need to do some serious homework. Obviously thousands of folks have done the math, otherwise no one would be selling on ebay.
    OMG my friend. My brother in law watched doctor who way back when. The daleks looked so cheap to me, but then again I was a big fan of Battlestar Galactica(the original series) in my youth. I own both the original and remake series on dvd. I'll have to watch Doctor who, maybe my sci-fi interests have changed. Blade runner is an awesome movie if you didn't see it. Lots of good Easter eggs in that movie from the creators of so many great stories(Asimov, Bradbury ect) and makes you think what will happen if AI gets real and how we will react as regular humans..
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 06-04-2023 at 01:46 AM.

I sold on EBay years ago. Like OB said, they fee you to death. Also, if there are any issues raised by the buyer, they will always side with them. I would try FB marketplace or Craigslist first. I used to buy and sell constitutional silver on FB marketplace. I would always set up a meeting in the parking lot of the police department or a busy place like Walmart.

It’s been years but I’ve used it
    Started n the earlier days when it was a little easier.
    Got rid of a lot of things like you’re wanting to do.
    In fact if you do well you may start looking for more stuff you hadn’t originally thought of getting rid of
    It gets to be kind of fun but I stopped for various reasons more at my end not ebays
    Fast forward several years a friend of my sister asked me to sell some WWII posters for him that his dad had collected
    I didn’t really want to but did.
    Things had changed a lot with more people pretty much making a living there.
    That’s fine but it also complicated things as far as scammers and non payment stuff but also bigger customer base.
    I wound up shipping to Europe, money transfers and that sort of thing. That was kind of cool but not what I was used to
    Did well but I probably could have done better for the guy if I knew better ahead of time.
    Then there’s the one’s that sell the same stuff and seem to try to mess with you.
    One in particular had me running around to western union for payment then started bad feedback and complaints
    Haven’t been back since
    Those models sound like something you may want to hone your skills a little first before listing
    I used different strategies for different things to draw
    I like to start small stuff at a price that will cover some if not all shipping then list “free shipping” that usual catches the eye
    I know nothing of the fee’s and rules these days but it probably still a good way to get rid of things
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    It’s been years but I’ve used it
    Started n the earlier days when it was a little easier.
    Got rid of a lot of things like you’re wanting to do.
    In fact if you do well you may start looking for more stuff you hadn’t originally thought of getting rid of
    It gets to be kind of fun but I stopped for various reasons more at my end not ebays
    Fast forward several years a friend of my sister asked me to sell some WWII posters for him that his dad had collected
    I didn’t really want to but did.
    Things had changed a lot with more people pretty much making a living there.
    That’s fine but it also complicated things as far as scammers and non payment stuff but also bigger customer base.
    I wound up shipping to Europe, money transfers and that sort of thing. That was kind of cool but not what I was used to
    Did well but I probably could have done better for the guy if I knew better ahead of time.
    Then there’s the one’s that sell the same stuff and seem to try to mess with you.
    One in particular had me running around to western union for payment then started bad feedback and complaints
    Haven’t been back since
    Those models sound like something you may want to hone your skills a little first before listing
    I used different strategies for different things to draw
    I like to start small stuff at a price that will cover some if not all shipping then list “free shipping” that usual catches the eye
    I know nothing of the fee’s and rules these days but it probably still a good way to get rid of things
    I do remember seeing some 'deals' on Ebay and thinking I struck the jackpot but then saw that $79.99 shipping (for a small box) is where they got you. Doesn't happen that often, but I kinda understand the seller's POV. EBAY charges fees on everything BUT SHIPPING. So if you want to NOT pay them a slice of something, put it in the shipping. But then buyers hate that so it's a non starter. Sad.

Thanks to everyone for suggesting alternate means of selling. Craigslist is sketchy for me. I'm in a blue state area with TONS of whackos. Don't want ANY of them coming to my house. But Facebook marketplace sounds promising.

I did not realize this BUT, Ebay removed their 'adults only' category in 2021. If I had a vintage PLAYBOY magazine, I can't sell it on Ebay anymore apparently. Interesting.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I do it, its a great place to get rid of random gun stuff and your model kits. Generally stick with stuff that's easy and cheap to ship. The best stuff is what you can shove into a padded envelope. Get some self-adhesive shipping labels (dollar tree used to have great ones that were considerably cheaper than anywhere else) and learn how to refill printer ink and most of the hassle is gone. Fees are about 14%, and there are certain things I can guarantee you'll get more than 14% for than you would locally. Unlike craigslist or facebook the time and hassle investment is much less, and there isn't any bullshit with people who never show up or hand you a sob story trying to get it for free or, you know, murder you.

Ebay has also changed in recent years so you don't even need a paypal account, they deposit right into your bank.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Ebay has also changed in recent years so you don't even need a paypal account, they deposit right into your bank.

Er...I'm sorry...that last thing I want is for egay to have access to my bank account. I don't even allow paypal to have access to my bank account.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Er...I'm sorry...that last thing I want is for egay to have access to my bank account. I don't even allow paypal to have access to my bank account.
    Start a second bank account that you only use for ebay

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Start a second bank account that you only use for ebay
    Did that back when paypal demanded a bank account to continue using their services...used a very small community bank. Then that bank closed suddenly. This was years ago...I had maybe $30 there I never saw again, but worth it. Since that account died, paypal has never dunned me to link a new bank account with them.

So you may be on to something there.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

If you're gonna do business on the internet.....buying or selling get a separate account strictly for that, and a debit card for it, and keep the amount in it low.

I use a separate account at an entirely different bank for the internet....I don't even want them to know what bank I use for my main accounts. We live in a world of scammers...don't make it easy for them to clean you out.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

- - all the Tom Baker and 5th doctor (can't remember the actor's name at the moment) - -
    That would be Peter Davison. His daughter ended up marrying David Tennent who was the second Doctor of the newer version. Tennent also played Marty Crouch, Jr., (the "death eater") in the Harry Potter movies.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    OMG my friend. My brother in law watched doctor who way back when. The daleks looked so cheap to me, but then again I was a big fan of Battlestar Galactica(the original series) in my youth. I own both the original and remake series on dvd. I'll have to watch Doctor who, maybe my sci-fi interests have changed. Blade runner is an awesome movie if you didn't see it. Lots of good Easter eggs in that movie from the creators of so many great stories(Asimov, Bradbury ect) and makes you think what will happen if AI gets real and how we will react as regular humans..
    So for me growing up, with only three channels on the tube (three and a half if you count PBS) on Saturday nights one of the few worthwhile things to watch were episodes of Who on PBS. At that time they were showing mostly Tom Baker episodes, though I do recall some Peter Davison and Colin Baker episodes...so that time period of Who has some nostalgia for me.

Dear god man...original Battlestar Galactica? Talk about cheesy! "Fire the Alpo cannons...and have Hop Sing set the table!"

Saw Blade Runner at the theater when it was released...love anything by Philip K Dick.