Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: An interesting way to invest in gold in small quantaties

  1. #1
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    7,497

    An interesting way to invest in gold in small quantaties

    Four states are now offering goldbacks, .999 pure gold in a laminated bill format...1, 5, 10, 25 and 50 denominations. It's not money, per se...your local bank will turn their noses up at you if you bring one in, but it could be useful when the S H's the fan and the dollar is useless.

    https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-f...if-dollar-dies

    Just ordered a couple of 5's...seems a decent way to diversify in our uncertain times. Think I'll be investing a few bucks each paycheck in some of these...

    Should the dollar fall, small denomination transactions with, say, your local farmer, farm co-op, farmers market could be problematic. These could be a winner in such a situation.

    Multiple creditable sources you can buy from here: https://www.goldback.com/
    Last edited by Oswald Bastable; 07-02-2023 at 12:00 PM.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

    There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

  2. #2
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    19,444
    Very interesting. I'm buying some now.

    Thanks for posting this.
    Last edited by alismith; 07-02-2023 at 06:32 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

    "If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

  3. #3
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    8,983
    Interesting, but if the SHTF, ammo, food, gasoline, diesel old vehicles that run without electronics will probably be the best investment and trade goods. AMMO and guns being the first, cause you ain't trading anything without being armed and cautious and somebody watching your back with same. It will be dog eat dog, morality will be pretty much out the window for most "people". As for the dollar, I'm rich now, but the fall is coming as you note, making most of my investments worthless. Thank you scumbags in Washington and Jekyll Island that made this system to fleece the public.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 07-03-2023 at 12:24 AM.

  4. #4
    Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,929
    I bought a few a while back. They are cool.
    Who knows what will be the new currency.
    Probably compliance.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    7,497
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Interesting, but if the SHTF, ammo, food, gasoline, diesel old vehicles that run without electronics will probably be the best investment and trade goods.
    While that is the most likely scenario, I'm looking at this as being prepared on many fronts...because none of us really knows how it all will play out...
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

    There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

  6. #6
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,131
    Gold is for "large" barter trades and silver for small barter trades. The trick with silver is to have an assortment of 1 oz., 10 oz., and 100 troy oz. bullion.
    Also, if you have some old copper pipe or wire, possibly scrap, that can "fine tune" a barter using silver so you don't use too much silver.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  7. #7
    Senior Member Viking350's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Gold is for "large" barter trades and silver for small barter trades. The trick with silver is to have an assortment of 1 oz., 10 oz., and 100 troy oz. bullion.
    Also, if you have some old copper pipe or wire, possibly scrap, that can "fine tune" a barter using silver so you don't use too much silver.
    I agree with this. I have some constitutional silver of various denominations set aside. Also, ammunition. You could also trade booze, cigarettes or feminine products in those situations too.

  8. #8
    Senior Member PROBASCO's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PACIFIC NORTHWEST
    Posts
    1,622
    I bought some of these a few years back. 1 gram gold bars for small trades in a shtf scenario....https://www.jmbullion.com/gold/gold-...sse-gold-bars/

  9. #9
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,131
    As I'm not into "spirits", I don't keep those on hand but that isn't a bad idea.
    Ammo stays in my guns or where I can use it - not for barter.
    Not a smoker either.
    And I'm male.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  10. #10
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    19,444
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    As I'm not into "spirits", I don't keep those on hand but that isn't a bad idea.
    Ammo stays in my guns or where I can use it - not for barter.
    Not a smoker either.
    And I'm male.
    Who told you that? If it was a Commucrat, you might want a second opinion in case they change their minds....

    Gender is fluid, you know.... Be careful what you say as you might get canceled.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

    "If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

  11. #11
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,131
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Who told you that? If it was a Commucrat, you might want a second opinion in case they change their minds....

    Gender is fluid, you know.... Be careful what you say as you might get canceled.
    As I have had both a wife and a LTR g/f, and having been a "skirt-chaser" in my college days, I've known I was male for over 60 years. Nobody has had to "tell me" anything. Not that they could either.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  12. #12
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    19,444
    As of 7/22/23, here's the current exchange rate for Goldbacks:

    Exchange Rate

    1 Goldback $4.04
    5 Goldbacks $20.20
    10 Goldbacks $40.40
    25 Goldbacks $101.00
    50 Goldbacks $202.00

    https://www.goldback.com/exchange-rate
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

    "If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

  13. #13
    Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,929
    I just bought a few more. I got the Wyoming bills this time.

  14. #14
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    19,444
    The cheapest place I've found to order from is www.defythegrid.com.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

    "If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

  15. #15
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    7,497
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    The cheapest place I've found to order from is www.defythegrid.com.
    Do they charge local sales taxes? Apmex is about par with your link, but they also charge for local sales tax. What is their shipping price standard?

    My last order was with Alpine, a bit more expensive for the 5 denominated backs, but no sales tax, and the shipping was on par with Apmex, where I bought my first couple. Overall I saved a few sheckels from Alpine due to the lack of sales tax charges...your mileage may vary depending on your local sales taxes.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

    There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    7,497
    On another note, I see on defythegrid that South Dakota is slated to become the 5th state to offer goldbacks. Let's hope that as the oligarchs get closer and closer to their vaunted all digital CBDCs that more and more states jump on the goldbacks band wagon. The more states that jump on, the more pressure for retailers to begin accepting them as a form of legal tender.

    Because, let's face it...if USgov recalls the dollar and institutes a CBDC, the dollar is going to crash...hard.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

    There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

  17. #17
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    19,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Do they charge local sales taxes? Apmex is about par with your link, but they also charge for local sales tax. What is their shipping price standard?

    My last order was with Alpine, a bit more expensive for the 5 denominated backs, but no sales tax, and the shipping was on par with Apmex, where I bought my first couple. Overall I saved a few sheckels from Alpine due to the lack of sales tax charges...your mileage may vary depending on your local sales taxes.
    Didn't see where I was charged any sales tax. They have various shipping fees, but $7.99 is their standard rate.

    However, I used Paypal and they charged a 5% fee for that.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

    "If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

  18. #18
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    7,497
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Didn't see where I was charged any sales tax. They have various shipping fees, but $7.99 is their standard rate.

    However, I used Paypal and they charged a 5% fee for that.
    Ahhh...then that is cheaper than Alpine overall. Guess I know where my next purchase is coming from.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

    There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Oswald Bastable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere In The Troposhpere
    Posts
    7,497
    Just bought a couple more from DefyTheGrid, though this time I opted to just send them a check and avoid all fees. It'll take longer to get them, but I'm sick of paying leeches for the privilege of paying with my nigh on worthless dollars.
    If we refuse to rule ourselves with reason, then we shall be ruled by our passions.

    He, Who Will Not Reason, Is a Bigot; He, Who Cannot, Is a Fool; and He, Who Dares Not, Is a Slave. -Sir William Drummond

    There are some things I will not abide within my sight!

  20. #20
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    19,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Oswald Bastable View Post
    Just bought a couple more from DefyTheGrid, though this time I opted to just send them a check and avoid all fees. It'll take longer to get them, but I'm sick of paying leeches for the privilege of paying with my nigh on worthless dollars.
    I'm, pretty much, buying from them exclusively, now, until I find something cheaper. But so far, I haven't.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

    I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

    "If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •