Thread: Laser Range Finding Scope - Tell me about this Leupold

Laser Range Finding Scope - Tell me about this Leupold

http://www.bowhuntingoutlet.com/leup...ngefinder.html

I need a laser range finder good out to 1000 yards for my new 50BMG rifle...

I don't under stand this "True Ballistic Range" (TBR) Technology...

Seems like some range finders are for bows, some for golf... I just need a simple point and shoot range finder to give me an accurate reading...

Seems this TBR stuff from their own website: "automatically calculating the shot angle yard providing the ballistic range rather than the straight line distance to your target. "

My Leupold Scope with the BORS computer on top takes care of all that... I need a straight line laser finder...

Any suggestions?

Dont know what your budget is bro, but the Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 seems to get it done out to 1500y. http://www.opticsplanet.net/201000.html

I'll assume that the 'True Ballistic Range' is the horizontal distance to the target, not the linear distance. This really shows up if shooting at a more extreme angle (up, or usually down.) Think of it like a triangle, if you measure straight to the target your measuring the hypotenuse, the longest of the lines, instead of the true horizontal distance.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thumbs up

That does look like it would work for his 50 cal rifle.

The challenge to trying to laze a 1000M target with a handheld is holding the dot on the target.

I hear ya Jo Jo, that's why they usually have a tripod adapater threaded to somewhere on the unit...

FWIW, I just got off the phone with a tech from Barrett... he said what I confirmed, just as Cevulirn said... a laser measure point A to point B end of story, but some like the above Leupold take into consideration the angle at which its being measured... so if you are 100 yards away from the target and measuring horizontally, you will get a 100 yard measurement... but if you're measuring a light bulb on this building that's 100 yards away horizontally and 10 stories high, you'll get a different yardage measurement.

The Barrett BORS computer already takes this into consideration internally... the tech told me that I need a point A to point B laser range finder that is line of sight... however, he did say that most of these advanced range finders that have the ballisitic/bow arches/angles built in have a mode that you can turn this feature off.