Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Private arsenal based on logic ....

swampdragon

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Don't you mean "armory" ????

Arsenal is where they make small arms, not store 'em

Definition of ARSENAL
    a : an establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment b : a collection of weapons

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Definition of ARSENAL
    a : an establishment for the manufacture or storage of arms and military equipment b : a collection of weapons

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/arsenal

Definition of ARMORY (from the same source)

a : a supply of arms for defense or attack b : a collection of available resources
    : a place where arms and military equipment are stored; especially : one used for training reserve military personnel

In other words...this is why double speak is so prevelent today......1+1=3, and you will agree, once you hear/read it enough.......
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Definition of ARMORY (from the same source)

a : a supply of arms for defense or attack b : a collection of available resources
    : a place where arms and military equipment are stored; especially : one used for training reserve military personnel

In other words...this is why double speak is so prevelent today......1+1=3, and you will agree, once you hear/read it enough.......

That's why I didn't say you were wrong.
    I was just pointing out that P'man wasn't wrong either.
    lol.
    The English language is funny.

OK, I guess I'll play as it's late and I'm drunk.

Everyday carry ? ...and Backup ?
    Stainless Steel Series 80 Colt .45 officers ACP w/one extra mag. I'd LIKE to have an AMT .45 Backup as a "backup".

Overall home protection ? for intruder ? for mob ?
    This is several different scenarios in one. Things that go bump in the night? My afore mentioned officers ACP plus my wife's S&W bodyguard. For mob: My AK's, 300 BLK, and Mossberg 300A.

Silent apocalypse ,
    My suppressed MkII .22, suppressed 300 BLK, and suppressed 96-22. I'd LIKE a suppressor for my P-14

general mayhem ,
    My FAL rifles. I'd LIKE a full auto MAC 10, Uzi, M-16, 300 BLK, or FAL. Hell, I'd love a Ma Duce!

food gatherer ?
    My 96-22

Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times ?
    My Mauser 8mm. I'd LIKE a Sako Finnbear in 308 or a Rimington 700.

Home protection for wife and children while away ?
    Her S&W 38 Bodyguard.

Long distance sniper ,
    My suppressed Mauser 308. I'd LIKE a 338 Lapua Mag.

disturber type mayhem ?
    My AK's with 75 rd mags. I'd LIKE a full auto 1919

Fun plinker ?
    My suppressed 96-22, or my AMT lighting.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Gotcha......I thought I was missing something (that's what I get for working all three shifts the last two weeks)
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Everyday carry kel-tec= pf9 ...and Backup another= kel-tec pf9

Overall home protection= saiga 12 sbs

Silent apocalypse , general mayhem , food gatherer= supressed 22lr ar-15 carbine

Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times = ar-10

Home protection for wife and children while away=remington 870 21inch barrel exstended mag tube

Long distance sniper , disturber type mayhem = Barret 98b .338 lapua

Fun plinker Yugo m92 sbr with happy switch

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I'm just teasin'.
    This is actually an interesting subject honestly.
    I have no prob hosting the thread.
    All members are always welcome any time...except spammers...lol
    HA!You have sympathy for the man?I'm just waiting for his ninjaAK47 to show up any moment.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    HA!You have sympathy for the man?I'm just waiting for his ninjaAK47 to show up any moment.
    I don't think P'man is a bad guy.
    I find some of his posts "entertaining."
    lol....

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    Wow printerman has a good question and not another thread with pics with his bubba'd AK?

Good question for this forum!

There are many who think that one rifle, or pistol is the only way.
    I think that my safe is a tool box..
    Protection pistols, long distance rifles, semi auto mid range rifles, shotguns, military surplus bolts and oddities for fun and even a few collectables...

There is no ONE gun for everything!
    Uber, I really like the way you think... a tool box is a great way to think of your guns as they can serve different purposes, so maybe a better question might be to try and define those situations and which weapon might best suit that situation?

Here's a few scenarios and weapons I might choose to use:

1) Everyday CCW - 1911 45 ACP
    2) Home Defense for the Bump in the Night noise - 12ga Shotgun with reduced recoil #1 Buck
    3) Handgun kept in an Automobile if you ever had mechanical problems and were stranded, change ammo every 6 months regardless - Something stainless steel like a .38SPC or .357 handgun, I've even heard of an el cheapo Moison for a trunk gun.
    4) Zombies/Gangs are roaming the neighborhood and suppression of a small crowd is necessary - Full Auto M15 or AK (Legal NFA or illegally converted with a hacksaw Lightning Link, or the string trick, at least know how to bumpfire).
    5) UN Take Over and as a "Wolverine" you need to take out a vehicle - Anything 50BMG (Semi auto best, single bolt next with a box mag, single chamber loader last)
    6) Same "wolverine" needs to snipe an official - .308 or 30-06 scoped weapon of choice
    7) Local hunting of small game to not draw too much attention - Ruger 10/22 with subsonic ammo (birds/rodents/cats/dogs).
    8) Bigger game for big meat like Deer/Bear - yes .22LR will work with shot placement, but I'd prefer a good old 30/30... or the .308/30-06
    9) A group of neighbors has blocked off their neighborhood with their SUV's... the criminals are roaming in gangs too with their vehicles, need to defend the entrance.... - Full Auto for the boys up front, me on top of the hill, I want a scoped .308.
    10) Zombie Apocolypse like Resident Evil and nomatic wandering is essential... carry as much ammo as you can... .223 and .22LR are lighter than 7.62x39 and 9mm.
    11) Back up support... need idiot proof weapons for your aunt and grandma to be able to shoot in SHTF. Revolvers with no safety and slide are great for women. Inexperienced shooters will appreciate less recoil of a .38SPC/.22LR/9mm over magnums and ACP.
    12) When the SHTF and folks want to borrow/take your stuff... how about giving them a cheap weapon with some ammo in trade for food or whatever you want/need? Give them a $140 Highpoint Handgun and some aluminum cased Blazer ammo? For $400 bucks, you can have two bricks, er... I mean cheap pistols and cheap ammo as a back up for trade for something.

These were all just off the top of my head... but that's how I think about things when I buy a weapon... first is the cool factor and do I already have one or not... but part of the equation is what roll or use can this tool serve. And those were just the weapons... how about sights? Iron? IF an EMP blast wipes out your AimPoint, do you have BUIS? Scopes, if the UN takes over and there's a curfew and you need to hunt nocturnally for cover... do you have an illuminated reticle on your scope or tritium? Night Vision? Just some things to think about.

I've got just about every roll/use covered that I can think of...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I don't think P'man is a bad guy.
    I find some of his posts "entertaining."
    lol....
    Entertaining like a hole in the head lol.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by printerman View Post
    shotgun , high powered rifle , plinker , revolver , small back-up gun , handgun auto-loader , AR or AK , and backyard silent game gatherer ....
    shotgun - 12ga High Standard pump
    high powered rifle - single shot .50, FALs, PTR91, Mausers
    plinker - .22 M16 and some .22 handguns and a 10/22
    revolver - just the .22s
    small back-up gun - keltec p11, G26
    handgun auto-loader - variety of 1911s, Glocks, a Ruger, Berettas
    AR or AK - bout a dozen
    backyard silence - one of the .22s with a can on it

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    hmm, shall I go with what I'd prefer or what I have?

what I have

1. Everyday carry ? Taurus 85 DAO
    2....and Backup ? prayer?

3. Overall home protection ? for intruder ? for mob ? Mossberg Maverick 88 20" 8 shot

4. Silent apocalypse , what's a silent apocalypse?
    5. general mayhem , Sar 2
    6. food gatherer ? Savage MK II

7. Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times ? Marlin xl7

8. Home protection for wife and children while away ? neither of either, so maverick

9. Long distance sniper , disturber type mayhem ? Marlin XL7, or Stevens 200, six of one half dozen of the other between those two
    You probably carry them all. LOL

9mm handgun.
    12 gauge shotgun.
    .270 hunting rifle.
    I like my AKM’s and other military style guns. but when all is said and done, they just don’t make the cut.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    9mm handgun.
    12 gauge shotgun.
    .270 hunting rifle.
    I like my AKM’s and other military style guns. but when all is said and done, they just don’t make the cut.
    Which ones of those guns goes with which question number?

They cover them all.
    Which question are you thinking of ?

Quote Originally Posted by printerman View Post
    If you had cash and you needed to supply yourself with a personal cache of guns what and why would be your choice.

Everyday carry ? ...and Backup ?

Overall home protection ? for intruder ? for mob ?

Silent apocalypse , general mayhem , food gatherer ?

Regular N. American hunting gun in normal times ?

Home protection for wife and children while away ?

Long distance sniper , disturber type mayhem ?

Fun plinker ?

.....my thoughts were to have a basic group of guns from each category such as , shotgun , high powered rifle , plinker , revolver , small back-up gun , handgun auto-loader , AR or AK , and backyard silent game gatherer ....
    Printerman, with your permission, I’ll try to answer the post in my own format, tailored to my personal situation.

I live in Oregon now, but will be returning to the interior of Alaska soon. No neighbors. Just me and Ruthie.

I think about guns in three different catagories. People guns. Critter guns. And rimfire.

People guns:
    Rifles;
    four ARs, (in .223 a colapsable stock 10.5” barrel and a fixed stock 18.5” barrel) and (in .308 a colapsable stock 12.5” barrel and a fixed stock 18” barrel). 1 ea. .223 suppressor and .308 suppressor.
    Handguns; three Colt series 70, .45acp (two government, one with extended/threaded barrel and one commander) and a suppressor. Two S&W model 642. Two High Standard derringer in .22WMR.
    Shotguns; three Remingtons. Two 870s, 12 & 20 gauge and one 1100 12 gauge.

Critter guns:
    Rifles
    ; six Ruger M77 Hawkeye. Three All Weather models (22-250, 25-06, 30-06), a Compact Magnum model in 300RCM, two Alaskan models (.375 Ruger and 416 Ruger)… A Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70.
    Shotguns; Bernardelli Hemingway in 12 and 20 gauge. Browning Superposed 12 and 20 gauge. Browning BPS in .410.
    Handguns; Bowen Nimrod in 475 Linebaugh and 454 Casull. Two S&W model 29 in 4” and 6.5” barrels. Two S&W model 27 in 5” and 8.375” barrels.

Rimfire:
    Rifles;
    Three Anschutz; 1517D in 17 HMR, 1416D in 22LR, and 1516D in 22WMR. Two Winchester 9422 XTR in 22LR and 22WMR. A Ruger 10/22.
    Handguns; S&W kit gun and model 17 in 22LR and model 48 in 22WRM. Colt Woodsman.

That’s it off the top of my head. I have a bunch of these already. Some are old. Some are new. Some I don’t have yet. I have a bunch that I didn’t list, like the “cowboy” and blackpowder stuff. Some of the above I have for good reason. Some are just personal preference.

And I don't mean to say I wouldn't change my thinking or make additions...

Think I’ll buy the Ruger M77 Alaskan in .416 next…

BTW, here's a pic of the Nimrod. The 475 Linebaugh would stay on my hip most anytime I'm outdoors, which would be a lot...

I really wish many times I had bought the TAC instead of just the Standard USP .45
    http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Product...8/Default.aspx

I withdraw my previous reply... I have no guns or ammo.

Guns are baaaaaad!

swampdragon
    I dunno?
    I just thought a .270 might be a little large for every day carry....lol

I dunno?
    I just thought a .270 might be a little large for every day carry....lol
    LOL
    I live in the woods. so I really don’t look out of place.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast