Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SPAM recipes

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Fried SPAM!

And yes, this concoction of meat flavored fat and filler is not my idea of the best of foods to consume... but I bet it's a favorite of the prepper's stores.

From what I understand, it's just basically ground pork shoulder. But yes, it's not my ideal food either. Way too much sodium. It will be worth it's weight in gold if there's a long term SHTF, however.

There are different versions.
    I agree, the regular is too salty. I buy the LITE. 50% less fat, 25% less sodium and 33% less calories.

But in a SHTF situation, the lesser calorie version may be a bad thing if you on the move.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by slamfire51 View Post
    There are different versions.
    I agree, the regular is too salty. I buy the LITE. 50% less fat, 25% less sodium and 33% less calories.

But in a SHTF situation, the lesser calorie version may be a bad thing if you on the move.
    Yeah, but if you get the regular version, you'll need more fresh water to wash the salt out of your kidneys. Higher sodium also means higher blood pressure, and there will be no hospitals to take care of you if you have a heart attack or stroke. You'll be lying on the pavement twitching with an aneurysm, and the birds will peck out your eyes, a gang will steal all your shit while you're paralyzed, then maybe somebody will have pity on you and cut your throat, and your last thought will be, "I shoulda gone with the low sodium SPAM."

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

On the other hand, if you live in Texas or some other hot as hell place during the sumer, you will need that salt in your diet.

Spam, spam, spam, spam...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

On the other hand, if you live in Texas or some other hot as hell place during the sumer, you will need that salt in your diet.

I was referring in my last reply that calories would be needed more when you're on the move. SPAM does makes a reduced sodium version with all the normal calories.
    I eat the LITE version because I don't need the extra fat, sodium, and calories found in the classic SPAM.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

It's my understanding that the army doesn't issue salt tablets anymore. You need very little salt to balance your electrolytes in hot conditions. You have to drink twice as much fresh water to wash out that salt, and heat sickness resulting from dehydration is much more dangerous than from low electrolytes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123