Thread: Wire Wrapped Enfield needs cleaning

Wire Wrapped Enfield needs cleaning

I have a wire wrapped Enfield I bought some time ago, but man, is that thing nasty with dirty cosmoline embedded into every nook & cranny. I can't touch it without my hands looking like I've been working on my Jeep engine.

I don't like greasy guns, and all my other C&Rs are clean because I could disassemble them. Not so with this Enfield.

I thought if I bought a few cans of brake cleaner spray, I could stand the Enfield in a corner, muzzle down (removing the end-cap first), and use that tube on the brake cleaner to shoot between the wood stock & the metal to wash as much of the old cosmoline out of by just flooding it out.

I'd like to get it clean so I can take it to the range and shoot it. Anyone else have an alternate, better or easier method of cleaning a wire wrapped Enfield?

Shoot 200 rounds through it as fast as you can. Turn it muzzle down, and let the cosmoline drip out.

Rinse, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    Shoot 200 rounds through it as fast as you can. Turn it muzzle down, and let the cosmoline drip out.

Rinse, repeat.
    this will work very well ....But it dont do much for the wood .....Go to walmart and buy a cheap hair dryer thats what I use for Cosmoline .....

I'd set it outside in the sun for a few hours. Then hit it with some kerosene.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Or use lemon oil furniture polish to melt the Cosmoline and help out the wood. Can be found in the cleaning products section of most grocery stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Or use lemon oil furniture polish to melt the Cosmoline and help out the wood. Can be found in the cleaning products section of most grocery stores.
    for some reason the lemon oil thing has never worked for me though many folks attest to its effectiveness.

for tough cosmo i use a variable range heat gun. heat, wipe, repeat as needed.
    I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL