Thread: Extended mag in the 49/56

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Extended mag in the 49/56

Anyone tried the 24/29 mag conversion? IMA-USA has the mags for as little as $60 for 10. Been meaning to try this but to be honest the biggest hold up has been my unwillingness to sacrifice a like new 49/56 mag just to get the clip off it. Even used mags in decent shape seem to be running $15-$20 a pop.

Wonder if there is another, similar clip that a fella could find that could be made to work for less? I guess if the conversion didn't work you could braze the clip back onto the mag it came off of.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

I bought some of those mags...

with the idea of converting them to my MAS 49/56. The problem I ran into is there is a large rib running down the front of the mag which prevents the mag from be inserted into the receiver. A bit of sheet metal welding work is needed. I am with you, I did not want to destroy a good mag to get the mag clip. Last summer I picked up 5 Mas 49-56 308 mags for 5 bucks apiece. Threw my shoulder out grabbing for my wallet. I have not seen any since. I am rather fat on mags now.....chris3

Forgot to ask, how is the monkey?
    Last edited by coppertales; 01-20-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Add question

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Pierre is doing well. He's anxious from spring to get here so he can play outside.

Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell