Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Journey to the Edge of the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by printerman View Post
    ....still haven't put men on the moon though !
    Oh no, not that conspiracy theory AGAIN.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Looking at the night sky fills me with awe... and if I'm out in the country on a pitch dark, clear night and look up and see the "fuzzy" spots... each of which is an entire galaxy... a chill goes up my back. We are nothing. We are less than dust in the wind.
    Then I think of the fanatical religious types that believe ALL of it was created just for us... just for humans... little invisible specks living on one insignificant planet... then I get annoyed at their arrogance... their audacity.

If there is a God, He sure as hell didn't create all of it for US... in fact God has probably forgotten about us (or given up on us as an arrogant, hopeless species).

Swampy...Great video. It really does put things into persepective.

Fuck off...Alot of men dedicated their lives to our space program at the height of this countries industrial age. You have no idea what it took and just how many it took to achieve this countries goals.
    FBHO

I shouldn't even bother... but let me ask you this P-Man... (we're gonna get to the moon incrementally)... do you believe that the Space Shuttle can be launched from the ground and reach, then stay, in orbit around the earth until it decides to come down by doing a retrograde rocket burn?

Yes [ ]
    No [ ]
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Here is the wall paper on my monitor, truly one of the most facinating things I have ever seen.

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/wallpaper/pr2010013a/
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

swampdragon
    The sheer scope and size of space makes me realize how small and woefully ignorant we all really are.

Instead of finding this depressing...I instead find this fantastic. It means there is still so much more to learn that it is beyond our comprehension.

That means we will always have something to do and not be bored....

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    I shouldn't even bother... but let me ask you this P-Man... (we're gonna get to the moon incrementally)... do you believe that the Space Shuttle can be launched from the ground and reach, then stay, in orbit around the earth until it decides to come down by doing a retrograde rocket burn?

Yes [ ]
    No [ ]
    the answer is yes

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Dust in the wind came out when I was in HS and I always get a particular mood when I listen to it.... those are weird and in many ways hard times in a man's life.

I often lay in bed and wonder what it all means. Why are we here? Why do are we concious of our mortality and live with this our whole life, counting the days unitl our personal demise.

I have to agree that religion that puts man in the postition of all importance - and with the perfect mechanism to answer our fears... is highly suspect of being a human contrivance.

I personally try to aleviate the knowledge of my own mortality with the promise of my children. I feel very bad for those who lose thier kids before they themselves pass and for those who have no children. Because that's the thing that bouys me up.

Yes, I try and make the most of life and enjoy the blessings of the here and now but I can't shake the light of the coming train...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

the answer is yes
    Good. We're making progress. You do acknowledge that humans can travel into space and stay there for at least several days, then return safely.

Now, the Space Shuttle is basically a truck... a cargo carrier. Due to it's design, it really can't venture much further than earth orbit.

So, on to the next question: Do you believe that a smaller spacecraft with an ample fuel supply can accelerate to the earth's ESCAPE velocity (that is, fast enough to continue outward and not be pulled back by gravity)? To aid in your decision, numerically, the escape velocity of an object is the circular orbital velocity multiplied by the square root of 2. In other words, if a rocket is in ORBIT, and then it goes 1.4 times faster, it will escape the earth's gravity and continue outward.

Do you believe that this is possible? (again, Y/N).

swampdragon
    I find it funny how we can land on the moon, yet a fuckin' Professor and a Captain couldn't get off Gilligan's Island.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    I find it funny how we can land on the moon, yet a fuckin' Professor and a Captain couldn't get off Gilligan's Island.
    You do have a good point there.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    That's it, thanks for causing my brain to blow up! Never thought of it that way. Blast that Gilligan!!!!

Hey Gilligan wasn't always screwing thing's up because he was stupid

For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12