Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need a 9mm?

I carry a 1911 in 45. But here is so much 9 around it seems I should have something to launch it. So I have, and practice with, a Springfield 1911 in 9. Same same weight, feel, trigger as my 45. There is a small difference, but small. My brain, eye, and hand do not really notice the difference. To me personally, this is important...

About the round itself; Theodore Paris built one of the first chopped S&W 39s (the ASP) for covert operatives. Later he developed the "quell" targeting technique that demanded bullet placement as a primary consideration. He clearly demonstrated that bullet placement is more important in handgun shootings (at the distance they normally occur) than caliber. What difference does it make if you explode a kidney with 9 or 45, right? I prefer the 45 because I like to hedge my bets. And because I started shooting it first...

Let me just say this; go to bed and just before you fall asleep decide that just as you wake up in the morning, you will make a final decision. It will be the decision you can live with easiest, the least regrets. Confidence is a real big plus when you are administering a sucking chest wound to the bad guy.

Still got the Wilson? Don't sell it without letting me know. OK?

The 9mm would be for the lady for home defense because the .45 is too much for her, but I would shoot it a bit too because its a lot cheaper than .45.

I'd never ditch the .45 ACP as my round of choice.

Sorry Paladin, but the Wilson is staying where it is. You should try and find a lightly used one they seem to go for around $1500, its a great gun.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Oh, defense too.

Well then a 9mm would be good yeah. And as you are well aware, there are a bizillian choices.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo GED View Post
    You don't need "a" 9mm.

You need TWO 9mm's.
    THREE

One for each hand and one to hold between your teeth pirate dagger style. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Scary View Post
    There was an interview (I forgot where I read it) where an Israeli Secret Service member was asked about the 9mm ball ammo that he was issued. If he thought it was inadequate manstopper. He replied that the 9mm will do its job if he does his.
    That is the trick with all firearms.

There are all these non-survivors of wars whose exit from life can about via a 9mm using FMJ. AFA as a pistol caliber's longevity in war the 45 and 9 rule.

Yet it is lacking?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12