Thread: Night Vision Hog Hunt

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

Night Vision Hog Hunt

We went on our 2nd NV hog hunt with Jed and Clark from Tactical Hog Control. This time we took my dad with us. We had a really good time. It was extremely HOT & HUMID. We had a hard time finding any hogs. Jed and Clark worked their butts off for us but the piggies just didn't wanna play. A couple of hours into the hunt, we came over a slight rise and there was 12-15 hogs bedded down under a lone oak tree in the middle of a pasture. The problem was that they were only 30 yards or so from us. We just happened to drive right into their living room. We didn't have time for a stalk but instead had to jump in the front seat of the Polaris and grab rifles. As Clark put it, we made the best of a bad situation since the pigs busted us and were on the move before we even had guns in our hands. We ended up with a confirmed body count of 3 but I know that there were at least 2 more that weren't found in the tall grass.

3 generations of killers (these were the pigs we drove right up on)... There is nothing better than hunting with my son AND dad!!! (I'm on the left)

We drove around for a few more hours and didn't see anything other than deer. Then the fog started setting in. Animals just can't hide from thermal imaging riflescopes. Jed and Clark spotted a single hog in a pasture and we decided that we would let a buddy of mine try to get his 1st one of the night. My son (TJ) showed patience and gave Mike 2 shots. After neither connected, TJ put one in the boiler as it tried to escape. One shot one kill. This kid can shoot! If he has a rifle in his hand, then you'd better not miss because he WILL follow up and make you feel bad for getting out shot by a 15yr old... Just kiddin', but I am proud of how well he shoots. Shortly after we left that pasture and making our way back to the trucks, Clark spotted 3 pigs going into a gully. We parked the Polaris and convinced Mike that he needed to get some pork on the ground before the night was over. He and Jed started walking up the road to where the pigs were and Mike got set up for the shot. He got 2 out of the 3. One was a perfect lung shot and the other was a head shot.

This would be it for the night. This hunt didn't meet my hopes and expectations but Jed and Clark went above and beyond to try to locate the pigs for us. It just wasn't our night for a ton of hogs but all in all it was a great experience to share with my son and dad. We will be scheduling another hunt for the 3 of us again once we can save some pennies.

when's the bbq?
    (formerly uzimon, sold ya the 75 & 100 rd ak mags in galvez)
    admit nothing
    deny everything
    make counter accusations

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

What is the cost of the hunt?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

No BBQ... Just pics and let the buzzards have 'em so we can move on and kill more. We ended up with a total of 12 or 13 that night. The first time we went it was just me and my son and we killed 11. They charge $400 per person and they supply everything. AR's, suppressors, optics (3rd gen NV & thermal) as well as 3rd gen goggles. The only thing you need to bring is your body and hunting license. I think it works best with 2 people but you just never know how many piggies you're gonna find in a night.

Great write up blaster.
    Glad you all had good success! Good to see younger hunters enjoying time with their Dads.

I'm waiting for feral hogs to move in from East TN. TWRA has asked people to shoot them on sight. I'm good with that. It's just a matter of time before they migrate in numbers.

BTW, are you a member of Predator Masters?
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

I don't remember if I ever signed up on Predator Masters or not. There are a lot of guys on the other forum (Texas Predator Posse) that are members there. Is Predator Masters Gary Robersons forum? Or may e he's just a member...

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Dogblaster View Post
    I don't remember if I ever signed up on Predator Masters or not. There are a lot of guys on the other forum (Texas Predator Posse) that are members there. Is Predator Masters Gary Robersons forum? Or may e he's just a member...
    His name sounds familiar. I just looked at the staff's names, but didn't see him. He could be under "PM administration" title.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

Gary Roberson is pretty much like a legend in the predator calling circles I think. I'm sure he's involved with several forums... He owns Burnham Brothers game calls and is a Mossy Oak staff member
    Last edited by Tx Dogblaster; 12-04-2010 at 06:45 PM.