Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If things got really bad, what skills?

I know the feeling and that it is different when it is family. Now you know that you won't freeze.

To what you said earlier I'll add the time to learn foraging and what plants are edible is now, not then.
    Another one is how to butcher what you shoot and also how to preserve it.

Btw, we thank you for the www.thepioneerwoman.com site and I see what you meant about comfort food.

I cant speak on a war shtf, or the horrors of combat during peacetime, in a friendly nation, but just common sense comes in to play.

-First aid.

-BEING HEALTHY from the start. Something that isnt just a item one can go out and buy, one has to think ahead, and if there are medical issues, then make sure that medication is in place for you and or other needs ahead of time. Extra glasses, and other needs should be priority.

-Handyman, mechanic, working with your hands. Everything breaks, and if its a shtf, there will be no one to call, learn to work on your stuff!

-Trapping. When was the last time you tried to even use one? Have you ever? I have a few claw traps, and a havahart box trap, they come in handy when you are too tired to do your own trapping for small game.

-Fishing. duh.

-Knowing the plants to eat in your area. Knowing what NOT to eat.

Along the lines of trapping, Guitar strings make great snares.

Quote Originally Posted by Integratedj View Post
    Along the lines of trapping, Guitar strings make great snares.
    Slip ring already attached to one end is pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    Slip ring already attached to one end is pretty cool!
    Yup. I actually used one to snare a fish last time I went to the river. Almost cut it in half though...

In our home we have 6 violins, would violin strings work as well? Learning to make things like rope, and other essentials could be vital, and make things more comfortable. Fishing nets, home made soap, candles.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    In our home we have 6 violins, would violin strings work as well? Learning to make things like rope, and other essentials could be vital, and make things more comfortable. Fishing nets, home made soap, candles.
    You should plant hemp all over your back yard.
    That stuff is really handy.
    Last edited by swampdragon; 12-06-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Dumb question...Can you plant hemp?
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    Dumb question...Can you plant hemp?
    Not that I'm aware of legally.
    I was joking.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Not that I'm aware of legally.
    I was joking.
    Okay making sure.Got to wonder about you sometimes.

I cant speak on a war shtf, or the horrors of combat during peacetime, in a friendly nation, but just common sense comes in to play.
    AFA war, the basics are the same and the fine details aren't.

-Knowing the plants to eat in your area. Knowing what NOT to eat.
    I've heard the time not to learn is when you are starving.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    I've heard the time not to learn is when you are starving.
    Thats the truth!

Your judgement kind of goes out the window...

Uber have you learned how to make an igloo yet?With all that snow you might need it.

Uber have you learned how to make an igloo yet?With all that snow you might need it.
    Ha the kids and I took 5 gallon buckets and made some cool walls and ramps for the saucers but no igloo...
    Ive got some nice weather this last week. Its been in the 50s and nice and clear!

Thats the Sierra nevada's though huh? COLD, a TON of snow, then a week later its nice out!
    I still cant get my car within 100m of my property though, road up to the house is still blocked!

I hope the weather holds till at least Sat, Im doing some grey squirrel hunting on Friday!

You take anything at your spot this week?

Thats the truth!

Your judgement kind of goes out the window...
    And the contents of your stomach exit via the northern or southern route.

Learning how to avoid old time diseases such as scurvy would be wise also.

Scurvy was one of the limiting factors of marine travel, often killing large numbers of the passengers and crew on long-distance voyages. This became a significant issue in Europe from the beginning of the modern era in the Age of Discovery in the 15th century, continuing to play a significant role through World War I in the 20th century.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy

Ha the kids and I took 5 gallon buckets and made some cool walls and ramps for the saucers but no igloo...
    Ive got some nice weather this last week. Its been in the 50s and nice and clear!

Thats the Sierra nevada's though huh? COLD, a TON of snow, then a week later its nice out!
    I still cant get my car within 100m of my property though, road up to the house is still blocked!

I hope the weather holds till at least Sat, Im doing some grey squirrel hunting on Friday!

You take anything at your spot this week?
    We took the week off,heading out this weekend for my son's first hunt.He is ready for his buck!Can't wait for Friday.

Crazy weather,much like Texas lol.good luck on the squirrels,you are going to need a dozen to make a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    And the contents of your stomach exit via the northern or southern route.

Learning how to avoid old time diseases such as scurvy would be wise also.
    No doubt. So many people will tell you they plan on trapping, or shooting their meals and never take into consideration the things the human body needs to operate longterm.
    Ive been a firm believer of keeping a few small essentials in my pack, even my light little day packs...

Some packets of E-mergency, and 5-6 multivitamin pills..
    One can go a long time on bush rat, and rain water if he is getting the nutrients!

I would think, that if a prolonged shtf fan happened, vitamins would be worth their weight in lead!

We took the week off,heading out this weekend for my son's first hunt.He is ready for his buck!Can't wait for Friday.

Crazy weather,much like Texas lol.good luck on the squirrels,you are going to need a dozen to make a meal.
    You guys as well!
    My oldest, and my neighbor are going to go out and just have fun, make up a batch of dumplins!

You guys as well!
    My oldest, and my neighbor are going to go out and just have fun, make up a batch of dumplins!
    Sounds like a well planned meal.Post some pics,everyone likes pics.

No doubt. So many people will tell you they plan on trapping, or shooting their meals and never take into consideration the things the human body needs to operate longterm.
    I am often tempted to ask them have they used the traps they will be carrying?

Ive been a firm believer of keeping a few small essentials in my pack, even my light little day packs...

Some packets of E-mergency, and 5-6 multivitamin pills..
    One can go a long time on bush rat, and rain water if he is getting the nutrients!
    Our bodies need many vitamins; Vitamin C prevents scurvy and is fairly easy to get. Iodine which our thyroids need is a different subject. Magnesium and potassium (cramps) are also something we need. Mustard has a lot of magnesium in it.

I would think, that if a prolonged shtf fan happened, vitamins would be worth their weight in lead!
    Ditto and vitamins are what most people won't have...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast