Thread: 5/8'' barrel I want to thread to 1/2-28 and...

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 AtLarge's Avatar

Question 5/8'' barrel I want to thread to 1/2-28 and...

I want to do it without pulling the barrel out of the frame. So a lathe is out. What else could I try?

You can still put it in a lathe, but it will require some creativity. You could use a spider.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

im afraid of spiders

a little hard to give advise when no one knows what your talking about.

im guessing, since you used the term "frame" that its a revolver.

Nope. Not a revolver. It's one of these. The internals are similar to an AK. The barrel is pressed in and I really didn't want to pop it out for fear of loosening it up since it's a polymer frame. That's why I was looking for ideas.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i think id try to lathe that bastard. get teh rear of the receiver in a 4 jaw and the muzzle on a live center and indicate it in, then just go very lightly and slowly.

Surly
    You're wanting to do twice the monetary amount work than the gun is worth. Go to TROS and get a 1/2x20 to 1/2x28 thread adapter and be done with it for half what the pistol is worth instead.

The internals are closer to that of a 10/22 than an AK. It uses the left lip of the magazine as an ejector and eventually, when you mag wears out in that area, it becomes a jam-o-matic. A Charger 10/22 would be something you could mod and have predictable reliability in the future with the same magazines.

It's just a funky old 22 and the value is low. Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll kick it around some more.